Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • I live in New Zealand, but I miss New Mills
  • Poopsies
    Free Member

I moved to NZ almost exactly a year ago. Fantastic place, no real regrets and enjoying life here. The only problem is the lack of riding. The firm I work for wanted me in Auckland and the only riding within an hour’s drive that I can find seems to be man-made trails in forests that I need to pay to do. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a different type of riding for me and I’m enjoying it but having lived on the edge of the Peak District for 8yrs and then moving here has made me realise how lucky I was to have trails that accessible.

I’ve seen some amazing looking trails here in NZ but sadly all miles away from where I live. Rotorua is closer and I’m actually hoping that I will get there this weekend.

So, not really much of a point to this other than expressing the irony of moving to NZ in part for the biking and then being fooking miles from anything decent and finding it harder to get good riding in than I did in the UK.

float
    Free Member

unlucky. change your job?

bigrich

Aukland is just another big city. Move to Nelson.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah although we complain about it, the UK does have a fair amount of land access.

I married an American, fortunately she moved over here. I’d have moved there if necessary but the riding is desperate. If you don’t live near a designated recreational area you’re completely screwed, and most of those are very lame. Most state parks have a couple of 5 mile loops IF you’re allowed to bike at all.

Poopsies
    Free Member

Tied into the job until the relocation package is cleared – two years. Nelson definitely appeals, as do a lot of places further south.

Yeah – it makes you realise the time that it takes to develop a network of paths like there is in the UK. Australia is a bit like that, from what I hear.

jim_bob

Bad luck. Wellington has fantastic singletrack all around town. Take a full hour for lunch and you’ve got time for a decent ride even starting from the CBD. It did take me a while to find work here though.

Hope you get to Rotorua – fantastic trails there, very flowy.

I moved here two and a bit years ago. NZ’s short past does mean there isn’t a ‘pre-built’ set of rights of way, which is a pain sometimes, but there are point-to-point trails here and there to complement the ace trail parks.

http://tracks.org.nz is handy if you haven’t seen it already.

The cheap new Jetstar flights make Queenstown an interesting idea for a weekend too.

jim_bob

Oh yeah, and buy the Kennett book. They’re great guys, and they list who to call to get permission to cross private land for some awesome backcounrty type riding.

juan
    Free Member

Well I live on the French riviera but I do miss the UK. So go figure.

_tom_
    Free Member

Even when I was in Whistler for a few months I missed the UK a bit, more my friends and family than the riding though I guess! Would give anything to go back there, I hate being back here it’s such a boring lifestyle.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i lived in NZ for a year or so, i was even sorting out the residency paperwork.

but the long, hot, dry Otago summers drove me mad, to the point where i was hallucinating fog and drizzle, lovely, refreshing, fog and drizzle.

so i came back to Yorkshire, which is a beautiful place.

Poopsies
    Free Member

Cheers Jim Bob… Yeah got the Kennett book. It has a lot of page corners turned down…

42 Traverse is on my list for the North Island. I’m in Wellington all the time for work – the hills always look good out of the plane window.

Hopefully we have just about caught up financially after the move so those Jetstar flights may well get used.

It’s odd – sometimes I miss the smell of cowshit and wet English winters, even when it’s blazing sun here.

Cheers.

pomona
    Free Member

I’ve been in Wellington for 5 years now and still miss the UK as well.
    There is awesome riding here, the weather is generally better, coffee is fantastic but it wil never be home.
    Still don’t think I’ll leave for a long time though.

If you’re in Wellington for work could you squeeze in a cheeky ride here? A few of us on here are locals and could easily show you the trails.

ourmaninthenorth

You’re clearly running a fever, dear boy. Have a lie down.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Coromandel?
    Did a race there a few years back, a good mix of hunting/farm tracks and singletrack.

Know what you meant though. As beuatiful as it is, its not the same…

scaredypants

Have a lie down

even for the riviera, ten to eleven’s a bit early for a kip

pjbarton
    Free Member

We moved to the high peak about a year ago. We ‘count our lucky stars’ daily! literally! rain or sun, never a day goes past without appreciating having some landmass to look UP at and go ‘wow’

i’d love to visit NZ though! 😉

geoffj

juan – Member

I see you stopped short of saying you missed Southampton 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

Just spent another month in NZ, and am thinking whether i could actually live there. a nice place to visit but, the lack of access, the distances involved etc. But the seeming pace of life, weather etc…

monksie
    Free Member

We also moved to Auckland. Our daughter missed Stockport. We came back. I miss Auckland.

therealhoops
    Free Member

🙂 I was going to ask if you were Monksie in disguise but he’s just posted.

‘ere Monkey! job for you – I lost my speedo last night at Strines. Be a good fellow and go and get it for me, you’re much nearer than me. Details here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ive-lost-my-bike-comp-somewhere-in-strines-

I’ll expect to here back within the hour.

love xx

jools182
    Free Member

I’m in New Mills

want to do a house swap?

monksie
    Free Member

We moved back to Stockport, Hoops lives here, I really miss Auckland.

Kisses and hugs big boy. I’ll have a look on the way to Ladybower on Saturday if that’s any good? Otherwise, I know a man who can sell you a new one…….

AlexSimon

missed Stockport

A phrase I thought I’d never hear.

We spent 6 months in NZ without bikes, and I was always on the lookout for what I would ride if we returned to live there. Not a lot outside of designated bike parks. It definitely makes you appreciate the amount of access we have here.

Wellington or Christchurch were the obvious choices for size/work balanced with bike opportunities.
    Didn’t spend long enough in Wellington actually. Would like to have experienced more of the suburbs with a view to moving.

Very characterful city (which is something you can’t say for many NZ urban areas).

Wellington rooftops by tryingtimes, on Flickr

Sunset over Cook Strait by tryingtimes, on Flickr

I still can’t get over how many amazing sunsets we saw in NZ. One after another after another. This was from a roadside freedom camp just outside Wellington airport!

molgrips
    Free Member

I hate being back here it’s such a boring lifestyle

Surely that’s your fault not the UK’s?

ali69er
    Free Member

I moved here two months ago. First access to a car this weekend. Off to riverhead and Woodhill. Can’t wait but I know what you mean about UK access and trails.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’d love to visit NZ though!

go and have a look at scotland, it’s basically the same.

(beautiful, wild, empty)

ElShalimo

An afternoon blasting around the Rotorua Redwoods will help you
    You can ride around giant redwood trees and gawp at bubbling mud-pools
    The cafe at Okere Falls is amazing.

AlexSimon

go and have a look at scotland, it’s basically the same.

(beautiful, wild, empty)
    yep – swap sand flies for midges 🙂

I found the temperature in NZ did make a massive difference to me and my willingness to be in the wilderness. Wild water swimming was a daily occurrence there.

Mind you, my rose tinted holiday glasses were in full effect as we started in the warmest area in spring, coldest in full summer and then back north for the early autumn. So my impression that it’s summery for a full 6 months probably only applies to the warmer areas.

plumber
    Free Member

As a few people know I lived in Calgary.

Only one decent place to ride in the city, quite few places within an hour to ride and I took a 2 week trip to BC taking in Pemberton, Whistler, Squamish, Nelson and Fernie.

I’d like to ride more in Squamish but the others I really wouldnt need to go back too. There better riding in the pennines.

Thougfh currently livinhg in that London makes you appreciate your home town riding even more

Plum

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I hate being back here it’s such a boring lifestyle.

No. No it’s not. A lifestyle is something YOU do that YOU have control over. You can have whatever lifestyle YOU want wherever YOU want to have it.

Me, I love going away and visiting new places. I’ve been to some fantastic places, places I could even live in for a year or two.

But I love England, maybe too much. I could never, ever leave here and not come back. Of all the places I’ve ever been to, England is THE most beautiful, the prettiest, quaintest place.
    Last week I was working and staying near Stoke on Tent, somwhere I’d never been to, in a quarry. The manager suggested I should take a different way back to the hotel, as it was a nice drive. So I did. I drove through small villages, rolling countryside past farms and hills and valleys. Nothing big or flash or impressive, but to me it was heaven. Jaw droppingly beautiful. I’ve seen the Grand Canyon, Pacific Island beaches, Italian hilltop towns, Canadian forests, and loads of other impressive stuff, but nothing, and I really mean this, gets even close to the English countryside to me. The Lakes, the Dales, the Moors, the Qs, flat fenland, Cornish coaslines, rolling Midlands farmland, the South Downs. All of that and more.
    I love going away, but I’m always glad to get back home
    I know how lucky I am to live here 😀

scruzer
    Free Member

Are MTBs still banned from National Parks? Spent a year bike/mtb touring there 17 years ago and revisited 2 years ago. Luddites! That said I love the place and expect the mtb scene has picked up big time. Quite fancy the idea of one of these ‘fat bikes’ for 90 mile beach though. This was a ‘mare on a normal mtb. After a year I too was itching to get back to the Peaks and UK riding in general…

AdeC
    Free Member

Hey Poopsies, did you used to live on white road in news mills?

phil56

juan – Member

This is a ride we did on the French Riviera last month – I love England, but this is on your door step with sunshine in February!!!
    [video]http://vimeo.com/37424713[/video]

jwmlee
    Free Member

I’m a New Zealander living in the UK and I love it here. Access across farm land always amazes me. If you walk across private land in NZ you are likely to be confronted by an angry farmer with a gun!

This country has some brilliant riding, often right on your doorstep. It’s just a case of moving to the right spot.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Spent 6 months over there cycle tourin and staying with friends/family

As a place to tour it was lovely …. The life style everyone had was similar to mine back home how ever very little mtb

We spent 2 weeks in invercargill and a month on and off in cambridge and cycled everything in between – only place id move to is wellington !

Gotta get back out there soon . Some catching up to do 🙂 hope my bikes are still in storage at mrs tr’s aunties

plumber
    Free Member

Phil56

that looks fantastic

fatboyjon

Poopsies – You’ll be gutted to hear that your old local trails are in the best condition for ages right now. Lyme Park, Goyt Valley and some nice Marstons Pedigree on Tuesday night. Over Chinley and Lantern Pike this morning. I’ve lived within a short ride of the Peak District on 3 sides and this area is still my favourite.

sambob
    Free Member

I live in Whaley, about to go for a ride 😀 I love it here when the weather is nice, not as keen when it’s grim.
    EDIT: Anyone fancy joining me for some Cracken Edge Cheek?

fbk
    Free Member

Just spent a month in NZ (Wellington) – fantastic place with some truly amazing riding/scenery. The riding options within 30mins of the capital city are astounding and the lifestyle etc does make me seriously consider moving out there for longer (a viable option in my line of work).

Having said that, I got home last weekend, got on my bike and rode the new XC loop at Hopton with a few “natural” bits thrown in – new trails and great weather made it almost comparable & it was quite nice to be back, plus I got to ride with my dog too 🙂 .

I guess there’s always a “greener grass” syndrome wherever you are?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, if you go from a place that’s not well situated in one country to a place that is in another, you’ll think that whole country is fantastic, but really it’s just a place with great riding. They have those all over the world.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘I live in New Zealand, but I miss New Mills’ is closed to new replies.