Home Forums Chat Forum How to find an online counsellor / therapist?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How to find an online counsellor / therapist?
  • devash
    Free Member

Asking for a friend. Seems like a bit of a minefield finding a legit counsellor / therapist who does online sessions. I know some people on here work in the field so am wondering if there are any specific resources, databases, organizations that can put my friend in touch with the right people.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I know it’s hugely variable but GP referral?

I have even self reffered to NHS counsellors.

wooobob

As above, or you can look at https://www.bacp.co.uk/about-therapy/using-our-therapist-directory/ maybe.

Why online specifically?

jimdubleyou

I’ve heard of betterhelp.com but no personal experience.

qwerty
    Free Member

Just ensure that they are registered to a professional body like BACP or HCPC, being a therapist is not a protected title so anyone can trade as one, being registered with one of the above means they’re legit.

Sui
    Free Member
    Free Member

Just ensure that they are registered to a professional body like BACP or HCPC, being a therapist is not a protected title so anyone can trade as one, being registered with one of the above means they’re legit.

Whilst this statement has merits, there are a lot of courses that are not BACP registered, but still churn out very good councellors.  My missus is re-training in this field, and i’ve oddly leaarnt quite a lot about me, my wife how we behave, why we behave (d) the way we do, it effects everyone (the training that is).  To the OP you may want to suggest to the person, to ask themselves, what type of councelling do they need, that is a tough question, but there are som many differnt methods out there, some will treat the sympton, others go for the route cause but are longer but arguably better in the long term.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Does it have to be online? Would over the phone work (or over a video call)?

I had some counselling earlier this year that was through a referral from my occupational health provider at work. I still have her number, she does private sessions and was very good. I really learnt a lot about me, and about what was impacting me that I hadn’t realised was a problem.

You can also self-refer with the NHS but it takes ages (I did it in August but haven’t heard back yet).

MoreCashThanDash

Anything available via employer or union maybe?

convert

This time last year my wife had some mental health or burnout issues and got counselling through the Vitality private insurance she had with her last job. That’s not too useful to know unless you have such provision – but is worth sharing is that she went through 2 before she found one that was useful. First one positively made things worse and was pretty unprofessional – so much was centred around her (the councellor’s needs) and very judgmental. Got the impression that they had lots of vacancies for a reason. Last one was good apparently. This was arranged online but with phone calls. So whatever they arrange don’t think that the first person they talk to is as good as it gets – or is going to be the right fit for them.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You can also self-refer with the NHS but it takes ages (I did it in August but haven’t heard back yet).

It’s infuriating how variable stuff like this is.

One council over and I had an apology for having to wait 4 weeks for my startup.

That’s on the day I filled in the form and submitted it.

Drac

Home

Have very good therapists they do virtual and one to one, they use a network of therapists so may have one in your friends area if they decide on face to face.

devash
    Free Member

NHS / GP not an option because he lives abroad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.