Home Forums Bike Forum How often do you use a chain-breaker mid-ride?

• This topic has 91 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by benp1.
Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • How often do you use a chain-breaker mid-ride?
  • mert
    Free Member

I’ve been riding since the early 90’s and remember the days when snapped chains were a regular occurrence.

I’m early/mid 80’s and it’s never been a regular occurrence.

Only time i’ve had an issue with snapping chains was a handful of (probably faulty) shimano 9 speed chains that used to fall apart, outer plates just used to pull off the pin. Eventually had all those replaced by shimano tech service, sold the replacements on and bought Campag and Sedis chains, no issue since. Never bought a shimano chain since either!

Other than the handful of shimanos that went pop in the space of a month, i’m probably on one chain snap every dozen years.

keithb

When did chains become too fragile to be split/rejoined???

(Says the man still running 8 and 9 speed drivetrains…)

mert
    Free Member

When they went to mushroom headed/peined chain pins.

The pins can’t be removed and refitted without damaging the outer side plates sufficiently that they’ll no longer hold the pin. That’s where the oversized shimano pin comes from.

And it started at 8 speed IIRC.

desperatebicycle

Last time I snapped a chain was when I was EBiking on a loaner bike in Spain. First time I’d ridden one for any length of time and was a bit clumsy with the gears. We only had multitool chain breakers and they are CRAP! Had to use a combination of pebbles to get the right leverage.

So I sent one of those Topeak ones to the guy that took me out as a thank you gift :)

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/maintenance/tools/topeak-link-11-stainless-steel-folding-chain-tool__30951?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=TT2548

I have one of the old Park folding tools, which is excellent – last time it was used was a few weeks back when a young fella needed to borrow it (twice, cos the first time he’d joined the chain with it running outside the chain stay lol ). I always carry it, but not needed it myself in a very long time.

Maybe once in 20 years.

But glad I had it

garage-dweller

On one of my own bikes virtually never (although I did two weeks ago when an outer link plate failed).

On other people’s bikes I’d say at least once or twice a year long term average. Not just splitting but stiff links as well and I vaguely recall helping someone shorten a new chain at CYB.

I probably give away at least a quick link a year as well as I’ve always got a little selection for all the different drivetrains our house has from 7 to 11 speed.

bens
    Free Member

I’ve had to use mine on my own bike once in about 20 years. Stick + derailleur = walk home unless you can singlespeed it which I could because I had a chain tool and a spare link.

I’ve had plenty of incidents that required the chain to be removed, I think quick links have made that whole issue less of an issue though.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I lent my multi-tool chain breaker to someone on the Dartmoor Classic probably about 15 years ago when his chain snapped. I think that’s it.

I can only recall one other time I snapped a chain, and though I think I had a tool with me it was pretty close to a bike shop so not worth messing with it myself.

garage-dweller

Says the man still running 8 and 9 speed drivetrains…

If you were running SRAM (and some other) chains I think that’s the last era of reusable/not mushroom pins.  Shimano was probably during 8 speed.

Honestly though I’ll take a quick link over trying to get a nicely adjusted and secure old school pin in ‘just so’.

breadcrumb

Last summer while I had the youngest on the Mac-Ride and my then 6 year old daughter on the tag along the chain snapped about 3 miles from home. I hadn’t bothered with the multi tool with it being a lap around the block. Faced with a long push home I started on my way.

It then occurred that my daughter could possibly power us along, at least on the flatter sections. I did feel a bit self conscious about not pedaling along while she did all the work…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Never, but I do t carry half the shite people appear to either.

Keep your bike maintained and mechanical sympathy

Guess I’ve now jinxed my next ride

benp1

I recommend using yours at home, just to check it works OK and isn’t going to break on first use, or find out it’s a complete POS. The one with the Topeak Ratchet Rocket set is actually fairly decent

I used mine last year. Sons birthday, went for a family ride into Nantes for the day while on hols in france. Daughter wasn’t paying attention and rode into the back of my sons bike. Snapped the mech off at the hanger. Was fairly peeved at this point! Don’t carry a spare hanger for his bike. Used my chain breaker to singlespeed his bike and continue (gently). Saved a birthday disaster, created a good story/memory

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.