Home Forums Bike Forum How often do you change or top up your tyre sealant?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How often do you change or top up your tyre sealant?
  • vlad_the_invader

Just ran out of Stan’s so need to get some more and realized the last container lasted me about three years ago. As I’ve got two tubeless mountain bikes and two tubeless road bikes, I’m probably not keeping up on “tubeless maintenance”!

So, do you just top up OR drain and re-fill? How often?

And for those will multiple bikes, how to you keep track of when maintenance is next due?

sharkattack

how to you keep track of when maintenance is next due?

Erm. When is the next Olympics?

thepurist

And for those will multiple bikes, how to you keep track of when maintenance is next due?

I use an app called Pro Bike Garage – it syncs rides from Strava and you can set maintenance schedules for each component in mileage, moving time, elapsed time or number of rides.  Obvs you need to make sure you’ve told strava which bike you used.

Oh, and every 6 months I give the wheels a shake – if there’s no sound I add a bit more Stans.

Kramer
    Free Member

Oh, and every 6 months I give the wheels a shake – if there’s no sound I add a bit more Stans.

This is the way.

Del

Yeah – shake the wheel and listen to see if there’s a slosh. Or take note if there’s any fluid coming out when I puncture and if not top up when I get home. I did open a tyre up last year because I could feel and hear a tubeless gremlin rattling around in there. :)

Northwind

I switched to oko hi-fibre (same as Halo sealant), it’s water-based and water-soluble so as long as it hasn’t completely dried out you can just add a little water to re-dilute it. It seals as well as anything else does ime and it’s cheap.

I keep my bikes in the house and Stans doesn’t like that much, varies depending on tyres too I reckon but it was just drying up too fast for me.

bikesandboots

Add 1/3rd every 3 months, based on the guideline for Joe’s although now I’m using Vittoria.

Can’t check the level due to tyre inserts but there’s been enough in there when I’ve removed tyres. Without inserts you can use a cable tie as a dipstick through the valve.

I too use Probikegarage.

Fat-boy-fat

About every 6 months when I change tyres. Try to slop any leftover Stans between tyres, but always top up as well with fresh Stans.

vlad_the_invader

Ok, I feel a bit better about my laziness now!

I had my second ever tubeless puncture last week and the hole didn’t seal. I think that tyre went on at the beginning of 2021 and I’ve never checked the sealant since.  Oops!

Anyway, the tyre was pretty worn out so it’s been replaced and has fresh sealant. Ill just slosh all the other wheels around and top up if needed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.