Home Forums Bike Forum how do you remove SRAM bb30 cranks!?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • how do you remove SRAM bb30 cranks!?
  • toffer
    Free Member

So I’m trying to remove the cranks on my Specialized stumpjumper but I cant for the life of me get the bolt to undo. As far as I can see its just a 10mm Allen key or am I missing something? There is a cap around the Allen bolt with two circular holes I am guessing for circlip pliers do I need to remove this first?

ssboggy

Don’t remove the outer cap, you need your 10mm Allen key and undo anti clockwise like you have been trying to do. You might need a tube or similar on the end of the key as they can be very tight

Del
    toffer
    Free Member

Cheers I thought I was doing it right just didn’t want to go knackering it if I kept pushing on it.

Thanks for the tip Del, tried that didn’t find what I was looking for hence the post.

Del

;)

daver27
    Free Member

Hacksaw, then bin and reinstall Shimano!

Lol.

quantockspaul
    Free Member

The outer cap is what the 10mm bolt pushes against to self extract the crank from the splined shaft. I found it’s best if, before you undo the bolt, to try and squirt some grease or lubricant into the tiny gap around the inner ring of the cap so that the head of the bolt can slide against the inside of the cap. When undoing the, bolt it should release at first and for maybe half a turn then go tight when it touches the cap, which is when you may need an extension bar.
    IME I’ve found that with a 12cm long Allen key there is enough torque to do it up by hand and stay tight without becoming prohibitively tight and ok to get undone without an extension bar.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘how do you remove SRAM bb30 cranks!?’ is closed to new replies.