Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Gauging interest in potential sale of my Pikes
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Hora, good lad 😀

hora
    Free Member

Butterbean you obviously have extensively tested forks to a professional degree yourself? Then be quiet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

simple rule for 2nd hand
    50% of RRP less 10% per year. If someone wants to take a chance on warranty via a sent on receipt is up to them.

On the when did forks get to such a price when did beer go above 2 quid a pint!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Hora, have you actually tried a set of the new pikes? They are good. Very good.
    Or are you just talking bollox like normal?

chris85
    Free Member

hora – Member 
    I honestly dont know why people rate Rockshox. Its ok but damping is waaay better on Fox or Mazz.

POSTED 11 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Fox are gash…
    Op, I would say £430 tops

sv

CRC = Northern Irish = UK, not Irish.

butterbean
    Free Member

Butterbean you obviously have extensively tested forks to a professional degree yourself? Then be quiet.

As a product manager for a large manufacturer, you could say yes, I have.

So, again, how much time have you spent on the new Pikes?

hora
    Free Member

Hora, have you actually tried a set of the new pikes? They are good. Very good.
    Or are you just talking bollox like normal?

Yes! Whenever I see a product that I’ve not ridden before out on the trails (etc) I’ll ask the rider if I can have a go/etc. When I was looking for new forks recently I tried Pikes. They are good but I just think Fox’s damping is still better overall. Rockshox have come along way, I just don’t see them as better than Fox (stanchion wear and stupid-servicing aside).

The “murdered-look”/marketing wound me up considering Marzocchi had done that look years ago/already.

Anyway you know I was winding up the OP for his ad in the bike section? 😀

Euro
    Free Member

Hora, you obviously waited until someone the same weight, height and riding style as you came along before asking to test their new Pikes for them. Or…

hora
    Free Member

Euro & Uselesshippy do you own Pikes?

Euro
    Free Member

Why do you ask?

VanHalen

marzocchi damping is definately not great. they are (save for a couple of years) simple and reliable which is the attraction for the masses.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

do all of you own all forks available?
    and more importantly do they have handles

nealglover
    Free Member

As a product manager for a large manufacturer…..

Are the products or the manufacturer relevant to the discussion.

You could work for the company that makes beans for Lidl 😉

Yetiman
    Free Member

I spent close to a year on a set of 140mm 29er Fox 34’s, and 3 months on a 150mm 29er Pike. Both forks are good, but the Pike edges it for me because it is stiffer and lighter. The damping on both forks is good, but you need to spend some time tuning the Fox to get the best out of it, whereas the Pike feels pretty good straight out of the box. I liked my 150mm Pike, but fancied more travel, so I replaced it with a 160mm version.

My Pikes are in the classifieds now. £395 couriered. I certainly wouldn’t ask more than £400 for them.

chiefgrooveguru

Deeming everything by a given manufacturer as good or bad or whatever is almost always inaccurate – or to put it more bluntly, clueless and stupid. I’ve owned three bikes with suspension forks and still have all three. The Rockshox Rebas seemed good. The Fox Float 32s were much better in all respects bar ramping up too much in the last 30mm of travel. Both the Rebas and Floats feel out of their depth when riding hard over the rough, especially when corners and steep bits are involved. The Rockshox Pikes make both feel like toy forks – they’re far stiffer, far plusher and far better controlled when you’re riding hard. The damping is in another league entirely.

It may be that some Fox Float 36s with the fancy dampers feel as stiff, plush and controlled as the Pikes but I don’t know, I haven’t ridden them. They might be better for all I know. My point is that saying Fox is better than Rockshox is something that only a complete halfwit would say. It’s as ill informed as saying Mercedes is better than BMW. It’s just clueless tribalism.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Hora, so when you tried these other peoples bikes, did you take the time to set the pikes up for yourself?

I can say the pikes are my current favourite bike part.

Compliant and reassuringly stiff/firm at the same time. Yea my coil boxxers offer a lot more grip, pikes are definitely more composed.

It’s all personal preference though isn’t it, plus if you’ve some misinformed idea what is better, ie feeling like a vague, divey marshmallow, it’s your/their prerogative.

What the customer wants isn’t necessarily what’s the best thing for the customer.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Put them on Pinkbike, you will get good money for them on there.

hora
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru but then shouldn’t you be comparing Fox 32’s to Revelations in your like for like?

butterbean- I take it you work for Rockshox, I wonder what Fox and Marzocchi’s Product Managers personal preference would be? I wonder what pro riders really would prefer what to ride over who pays them what to ride? Off on a divergence here.. but also- its an inanimate object for others, it does a job. Its a very good product but is it better than Fox?

If you landed a payrise at Fox/etc would you still ride a Pike? Product loyalty is great though and I don’t doubt that they are good.

butterbean
    Free Member

I don’t work for SRAM, I work for a bike manufacturer that specs both Rockshox and Fox, and even some own brand product.

chiefgrooveguru

chiefgrooveguru but then shouldn’t you be comparing Fox 32’s to Revelations in your like for like?

I’m not comparing like for like, I’m comparing products from two different brands – that’s all your blanket statement says.

I’ve ridden a mate’s bike with Fox 34s but it was so greasy I couldn’t ride it hard enough to judge them. I’ve compared my Pikes to a friend’s Pikes and he couldn’t believe how much plusher mine felt, and they’re the same travel and we’re the same height/weight – the difference was that I’m running 25-30% sag, he’s running 20-25% sag, and I’ve added a bottomless token so even though they’re softer they take the same force to bottom out. How you set up suspension can matter more than what it is.

We’ve had two years of every MTB mag going from Fox love to Fox hate due to the mincetastic changes they made for the introduction of CTD. And then the Pike arrived and every mag loves it. The most recent Fox CTD are getting closer to being as good as they should be but still need more appropriate damping for riding hard if everything I’ve read is to be believed. You can claim that mags write what they’re paid to write but I believe that the chance they’re all on the unofficial Rockshox payroll is as likely as Dirt’s enduro bike tests featuring not Steve Jones on a 29er but Lord Lucan on Shergar (with 650b horseshoes)…

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I don’t own pikes, but I have ridden several pairs. Absolutely blew my 34s out the water.
    Plusher initial stroke, and less prone to diving. That mixed with longer service intervals and stanchions that don’t wear out.
    Oh yeah, they’re nearly half the cost as well.
    Do hora, again, have you ridden a set or talking bollox like Normal?

hora
    Free Member

Do hora, again, have you ridden a set or talking bollox like Normal?

Open your eyes and read idiot.

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve Marz, Fox and Rockshox (x2 – one set are Pikes) florks and i like them all now that i’ve set them up to suit me.

hora
    Free Member

So you are saying you have many bikes. Are you single?

amedias
    Free Member

this is just getting bizarre…

Hora, please clarify*

> were the Pikes you tested set up for you?
    > how long did you ride them for?
    > What kind of trails did you try them on?
    > were they on bikes you were already familiar with?

> what did you like about them?
    > what didn’t you like about them?
    > in what way did you consider their performance wasn’t as good?

*genuine questions from a non-Pike owner, but who also owns other Fox, RS and Marzocchi forks.

I’ve not had a chance to try any of the new Pikes out but am curious about them as they could be a decent replacement for some 36s I’m thinking about changing.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Some people have many bikes at the same time.
    Some people have many bikes, but only keep each for two weeks.

dave_h
    Free Member

Sorry to bring this back on track…..

To put then up on the classifieds I would strip the forks off the bike and get photos up.

Why not just put a photo of them on the bike with the price you’re looking for in the Classifieds?

Euro
    Free Member

hora – Member

So you are saying you have many bikes. Are you single?

Sorry, i’m not single but i’m flattered by your interest, despite not being gay. I am a keen cyclerist however, which goes some way to explaining why i have 3 bikes (and an extra set of forks).

hora
    Free Member

Some people have many bikes, but only keep each for two weeks.

Nice try. That doesn’t apply to me though.

iolo
    Free Member

I agree with Hora. He’s da man.
    I had 2006 Pike team’s – bloody terrible
    Marzocchi 66RC 2006 – amazing (just a bit heavy)

singlespeedstu

Maybe Marzochi are the ultimate fork for dry rides in the light as long as there are no pebbles and the ride is under 20 miles.

hora
    Free Member

Maybe Marzochi are the ultimate fork for dry rides in the light as long as there are no pebbles and the ride is under 20 miles.

Chomp!

Sorry, I just don’t like that trail centre, period. Oh and the Peaks gets gritstone into every conceivable part of your bike- its a wet place. If you waited for the Peaks to be dry you’d only ride two months a year. 😉

singlespeedstu

You seem a little defencive.

Oh and missed out a reply to the under 20 miles bit.

sprocker
    Free Member

I have had 36 floats, 2 step Lyric’s and 55 ti Marz. My current forks are pikes rct3’s and for me they are a mile better. I do except that others may prefer Marz, fox whatever.

Your assessment in general needs to be more than a quick go on someone else’s for a decent comparison though. It is possible that Hora is just a lot better than me though and able to differentiate to a higher level 8)

flange
    Free Member

Haha hora commenting on suspension…hahah

Entonox
    Free Member

Why can’t you compare 150mm Fox 32s to 150mm Pikes like for like?
    Similar weight, similar price, same travel.
    The Pike has made £500 150mm 32 mm sanctioned forks obsolete. There’s just not enough of a weight saving anymore for the gains in stiffness.

I’ve owned Fox 36 FIT Floats – my Pike has much better damping, is as stiff and much lighter. And then there’s the price.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Entonox – Member
    Why can’t you compare 150mm Fox 32s to 150mm Pikes like for like?
    Similar weight, similar price, same travel.
    The Pike has made £500 150mm 32 mm sanctioned forks obsolete. There’s just not enough of a weight saving anymore for the gains in stiffness.

They are an overextended XC fork suitable for light riders, plenty of bike companies have fallen for the weight/bling/fox idea and put them on AM bikes which then underperform and make them look crap, in shorter travel they are a lot better and work for lighter more delicate riders.
    The real comparison for the Pike is the 34 chassis and not many have the newer versions to compare with (200g difference)

sgn23
    Free Member

OP your thread got hijacked! I might be interested at the lower end of the prices that have been talked about here. Email in profile.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Gauging interest in potential sale of my Pikes’ is closed to new replies.