Home Forums Chat Forum Homer Simpson / ignorance is bliss

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Homer Simpson / ignorance is bliss
    Longarmedmonkey

I don’t think anyone’s decided anything, people are just discussing how they personally deal with the fact we live in a very uncertain world.

Couldn’t agree more.  However,  the words ignorant and stupid come up an awful lot in this thread. How we deal with uncertain and often horrific times, is not the same as judging someone for not knowing something or not wanting to know something that we have decided is important.

blokeuptheroad

And perhaps blokeuptheroad is in on it too, as he considers secondary school statistics as intellectual……..

No I’m just another thicko. I somehow manage to avoid personally insulting fellow contributors on what should have been a light hearted thread though. So on balance, I’m happy with my ignorant lot 🙂

And it’s probably fair to say that everyone is burdened by a degree of ignorance on a variety of things no matter how much they try to expand their knowledge & experience base.

Such is the fact we cannot know everything about everything. Being informed is still a subjective standard that I’d argue is impossible to quantify.

I’m okay with that.

No I’m just another thicko.

Don’t worry mate, I like crayons as a snack too. {Insert wink emoji here}

Also, you did volunteer to mess about with things that go bang, not really bright is that. {Insert wink & laughing emoji here}

blokeuptheroad

😆 The blue ones are best! 😉

thepurist

Anyhow, the petty statistics argument. Isn’t it reasonable to assume that at a population level IQ is normally distributed? That would suggest that mean, median and mode are the same (near enough) so 50% of the population would fall below any of the usual definitions of average intelligence.

Waderider
    Free Member

Assumptions in statistics?!

The data must be out there……..

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n

dakuan
    Free Member

heard somehere: “My desire to stay sane has exceeded my desire to stay informed”

thols2

Isn’t it reasonable to assume that at a population level IQ is normally distributed?

The tails probably won’t be. How big of a problem that is, I don’t know.

dakuan
    Free Member

surely the tail is thick rather than long

This

e3532d5f582123b12fb4b8bdec0a2096

Instead of this

thepurist

Assumptions in statistics?!

The data must be out there……..

According to Wikipedia (I know….)

For modern IQ tests, the raw score is transformed to a normal distribution with mean 100 and standard deviation 15

mert
    Free Member

Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process

Precis.
    It’s funny cos it’s true. Not mathematically accurate.

Homer laying down a truth bomb.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.