Home Forums Bike Forum Help me choose a bike.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Help me choose a bike.
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m surprised this hasn’t been asked already but what do you mean when you say

Geometry and handling above all else.

?

TomZesty

@intheborders – I was going to but badwireddog beat me to it. As you say, not relevant to you just a factor maybe for the OP (equally might not be!) Just sounds a bit ‘Gianty’ to me, which as I said seems at odds with their great reputation.

matt_outandabout

Geometry and handling above all else.

I would accept cheaper kit, less of a bargain, a bit more weight etc etc for a really nice handling bike.

matt_outandabout

Talk to me about Nukeproof Reactor 290’s…

superstu
    Free Member

Re the Reactor…other FS nukeproof seem to be a bit snappy judging from the owners groups I’m on (ex happy scout owner). I would also worry about spares in the post CRC world.

matt_outandabout

Even at a really, really reasonable and barely used price…?

suspendedanimation

Reactor will be cheap because CRC chucked them out for peanuts in the pre liquidation sales, they have no spares available now CRC is defunct, have no support or warranty, and as above, the megas at least have a reputation for cracking.

But if it was really cheap I’d still be tempted. But you have to weigh up the choices.

matt_outandabout

Are they standard mech hanger?

I’ve seen original receipt of for the frame, it was CRC sell off at £600 with Rx Super deluxe ultimate on it. Pricing is in line with that and being a year old.

mrhoppy

I could have my arm bent into selling my forbidden druid v1 frame (with or without a pair of fox 36).

a11y

Are they standard mech hanger?

I’ve seen original receipt of for the frame, it was CRC sell off at £600 with Rx Super deluxe ultimate on it. Pricing is in line with that and being a year old.

Mech hanger – discussions on a Ragley owners FB group led to a company producing the required hangers for Ragleys, in the absence of official spares. Might get lucky with Nukeproof equivalent?

Lack of spares would be my concern. If secondhand the no warranty situation is no different to (most) other secondhand frames. I like the look of them on paper – decent geometry, possibly a bit steep HA and slack STA for the amount of travel, but not far out.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’m gobsmacked by the Cotic link, apologies to the OP for me questioning it.

Got to say I’d not worry one iota and based on the sheer level of abuse mine’s had (and other folk I know with them) would recommend them in a heartbeat.

My previous FS to the Cotic, a Spesh Camber Evo camber had had that many bearing replacements my LBS had commented when the last set went in that it was ‘baggy’ and probably at the end of life – that was one reason I’d looked at Cotic as they were recommended suitable for ‘northern conditions’.

chakaping

If you fancy it, buy it and just sell it on for the same if you don’t click with it.

Or do a frame swap later if you’re looking at a full bike with decent kit.

mildred

Regarding the Cotic stuff above – I wanted to fit a coil shock to my Jeht. I spoke to Cy & explained my reasons & he was more than happy for me to fit a coil. He did, however, make spring rate recommendations that were higher than the TF Tuned calculator, which worked fine.

Any concerns just email and someone gets back to you very quickly; they’re real people not a big faceless organisation.

didnthurt
    didnthurt

These look decent.

Cortex Deore

matt_outandabout

I have two second hand bikes to view over the next couple of days, both around the £1k mark, both are better spec than new, even if I throw on new drivetrain and tyres will still be a significant saving, just no warranty.

I went to LBS yesterday evening and had a look around / bounce on the Merida One Forty. It is a nicely made thing, nice colour, but it weighs nigh on 17kg with pedals! That is 3kg more than the Element or Top Fuel, 2kg more than an EX 8…I just can’t.

But I keep coming back to the Trek or Rocky Mountain.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Is there a reason for looking at full suss more than another hardtail? I bought a 2nd hand Cube Stereo this year as I wanted a 2nd bike for my son and was starting to feel a bit beaten up on the hardtail. I’ve hardly ridden the full suss as I prefer my hardtail. The full suss needs to be ridden fast to get the same thrill and I’m not that comfortable with the consequences of an off at higher speeds, I’m self employed and can’t afford an extended period off work. If I was doing the riding you describe I doubt I’d touch the full suss or I’d be looking at getting an xc full suss. The other thing to bear mind if buying a 2nd hand full suss is the cost and bother of replacing bearings. I’ve just spent £40+ on a full set of bearings. I’m hoping to put of the replacement for a month or two and get it all nicely sorted for spring time.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

but it weighs nigh on 17kg with pedals! That is 3kg more than the Element or Top Fuel, 2kg more than an EX 8…I just can’t.

Are you comparing like with like, ie you weighed them both in the shop with the same scales?

If so then totally agree that is nuts.  But if you are comparing actual shop weight of the Merida with advertised weight of the Trek then…

matt_outandabout

Fair point!

But I have just looked and Guy Kesteven seems to back up the Top Fuel is about the weight stated, the Fuel EX was 1kg more…

matt_outandabout

Is there a reason for looking at full suss more than another hardtail?

Comfy. More control.
    Love my hardtail, and really loved my old Sanderson Breath as it was so springy and ‘steel is real’ feel to it. But those days of sprightly steel are gone, and bigger rubber makes a newer bike almost as comfy, so my alu Marin I have also found is a brilliant thing.

I also enjoyed my FS before. And the FS I have most enjoyed was the short travel but burly Orange ST4, hence the looking at 120mm ish bikes rather than 140/150mm bikes.

chakaping

From everything you say about your riding, 120mm rear travel will be perfect for you IMO.

And do keep half an eye on the weight. It does matter a bit, despite what firms who make steel bikes say.

intheborders
    Free Member

I went to LBS yesterday evening and had a look around / bounce on the Merida One Forty. It is a nicely made thing, nice colour, but it weighs nigh on 17kg with pedals!

+37lbs – did you actually weigh it?

matt_outandabout

That was from shop – and it feels heavy.

And I have just looked at website: yes.
    https://www.merida-bikes.com/en-gb/bike/3010/one-forty-500

phil5556

I presume you’re looking at just 29ers? Otherwise I could be tempted to sell my much loved ML Bird Aether 7

….always worth a cheeky mention on a thread like this :-)

matt_outandabout

I do want a 29er – suits my riding venues, style of riding and height…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Ah well. In that case you want to buy my Giant Anthem 29er

always worth a cheeky mention on a thread like this :-)

* You don’t. Unless you want a horribly twitchy lightweight, fast but unpleasant speed machine.

jameso

Any bike I buy will be kept until it’s properly worn out (my Marin is 9 years old…)

In that case, a Cotic Flaremax frame and figure the rest out over then next year or 2, if you have something to hold the f wheel on and some basic parts (can’t agree more on Deore kit and Hi-Lo builds generally)

Maybe the Trek Top Fuel for the split-pivot sus if I liked the ride overall and you want a complete bike discount but all those big brand bikes are a bit .. meh/soul-less compared to the Cotic. And I bet the Cotic is at least as much fun as anything else.

BadlyWiredDog

In that case, a Cotic Flaremax frame and figure the rest out over then next year or 2, if you have something to hold the f wheel on and some basic parts (can’t agree more on Deore kit and Hi-Lo builds generally)

I almost posted this yesterday. The frame is the one thing you can’t change, buy one you’re going to love and upgrade the bits as and when, if you feel you need to. You could, for example, have changed the hated damper in that Yari for a Charger one – I did, it cost me around £180 – and you’ll have a de facto Lyrik. You can do the same thing with a Revelation.

Choosing a bike based on a spec sheet and geometry chart for the next decade seems a bit clinical. I bought my FlareMax frame early in lockdown when I had long covid, built it up from random parts and couldn’t ride it for 18 months. It ran mostly SLX stuff and a pair of X-Fusion Rough Cut forks up front. Just a brilliant, warm, happy bike to ride even when the only ‘posh’ thing on it was the Cane Creek shock, which is ace.

It’s a good time to build up a bike from a frame. There are so many brands selling off the stock they over-ordered post-pandemic that you can pick up really nice parts at bargain prices.  Sales from retailers or direct from the brands on eBay etc.

lister

I’ve been following this thread as I’m in a very similar situation to mattoab.

Just bought one of the Rocky Mountain Instincts from Pauls so I’ll report back in a few days ?

lister

That ? is supposed to be a gritted teeth smirk emoji.

hopefiendboy

@lister keen to know what model and how you get on…

lister

It’s the Instinct A50. I spent the evening looking for bikes at £1900 and couldn’t find something that’s seems as good on paper.

It feels like a bit of a risk but the last few bikes I’ve had have all been bought ‘blind’ and have not disappointed – but I’m quite easily pleased and not too picky.
    Geometry and kit looks ok to me and there appears to be some tunability. I’m sure it’ll do me fine for the riding I do which goes from XC local bridleway and byeway bashing to the occasional Dyfi uplift (reds only and no jumps cleared!).

It should arrive by the end of next week so I’ll hope to get out for a trial ride next weekend. I’ve then got a weekend planned near the FoD so that’ll be a fun place to do some fiddling.

hopefiendboy

Good man. Feed back once you’ve had a few rides on the beast!

matt_outandabout

Good call Lister. Pics from first ride, obvs.

I’ve also had a change this morning. I’ll post up a NBD shortly….

Tracey

Don’t keep us waiting

matt_outandabout

Hehehe

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.