Home Forums Bike Forum Help…… how do I??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help…… how do I??
  • ton

Remove this now I have fubared it up. Inserted correct Allen key. Used brute force anti clockwise and the self extracting thing crumbled like cheese.

20241016_12534320241016_125410

kayak23

Usually the best thing you can do is try to put two Allen keys in of different sizes so they sort of lock and wedge together in place.

Does it have an inner Allen key position?

It looks as if there is a hex deeper into the bolt. Have you inserted the key shallow and just mangled the outer cover cap?

It’s possible you’ll have to put in the longer section of the Allen key with the short end sticking out, and use a ring spanner or something over the end to give you some more leverage.

Yak

I think you have brute forced the wrong bit. The outer 10mm is for the outer part of the self-extracting bolt. The 8mm inner part is the bit that removes the crank and needs the brute force to get the crank to self-extract. Try an 8mm.

Fwiw the 10mm does up to 10Nm and the and the 8mm to 54Nm. The 10mm is pretty soft alu so will crumble if you heave on it. But if all is intact enough, it might all come out when you undo the 8mm and then you will need to only replace the self-extracting crank bolt kit – probably £10-£15 or so.

frogstomp

As Yak says – the 10mm cap is just for the 8mm self-extracting bolt to push against. Undoing with an 8mm will probably still work fine.

alan1977
    Free Member

luckily the bit you have fubared doesnt need removing, it does it quite successfully itself  (i thought it was left hand thread)

bad news is, the bit you do need to undo is far worse and tighter (inner hex, spec says 50 nm)

fossy

Hopefully, you’ll just need a new cap once it’s off. It’s not dissimilar to GXP, just on the drive side instead.

You’ll just have fun removing the end cap.  Some end caps have four holes in and use a tool to twist it out..

ton

spoke to a mate in the know….. booked it on monday AM. so i cant cause any more damage.

good old sq taper was awesome…………..   ;o)

Yak

The 10mm has a RH thread, same as the 8mm. Even though its now worn out, I would still expect it to come out ok once the 8mm is undone and the crank off, as it should still at the 10Nm it went in at.  You might have to force something into the 10mm like a larger torx bit to turn it or it might come off easily.

goldfish24

Help…… how do I??

…provide a succinct and useful topic summary to direct the right people to my thread?

😉

dartdude
    Free Member

Clockwise to extract

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.