Home Forums Bike Forum Stuck/very tight SRAM cranks (self extractor types)- my fix, your gift

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Stuck/very tight SRAM cranks (self extractor types)- my fix, your gift
    codybrennan
    Free Member

Ever come up against these tight self-extractor style NX/other SRAM crank? Usual fix is to get a willing helper to sit on the bike and anchor the pedals while you chuff at it with an 8mm key and extender.

Well, my gift to the world today is this. Yes, that’s an old plastic pedal inserted and threaded on the reverse of the nds crank arm, acting as a brake on the seat tube. I am not sure but believe I have just invented this.

Works a treat.

Santa

weeksy

I’ve seen Instagram where they use an old inner tube at 6 and 8 o’clock which they loop and loop around crank arm and tool. But I’ve never tried it.

I’ve nearly exploded my brain doing it before though like many on here

ocrider

I’ve seen that too, but I’m yet to attempt it myself.

matt_outandabout

I had one last week which the ‘retaining’ screw in cover was too loose and so the extraction bolt spun it, so not allowing extraction.

I ended up taping it into place and punching a hole through it for the extractor bolt…

enigmas
    Free Member

My go to is to put the bike upside down under my garage table (which has 4 vices and a tools chest weighing it down), which is at a convenient height it catches the pedal and stops the crank spinning, then getting a breaker bar on the bolt.

Stupid design though, shimano pinch bolts are 10x better.

fenderextender
    Free Member

I finally lost my rag with some SRAM GX cranks a few years ago – their stupid stepped axle, non-preload design with the wandering/shearing tophat spacer in the BB cups. Bloody things were stuck on solid.

Luckily the crank bolts are as crap as the cranks themselves – normal HSS drill bit reduced the bolt (and a fair bit of the surrounding crankarm) to swarf in around 5 minutes.

Then in the bin with the whole lot.

DrP

I just have the drive side pedal at 9 o clock (i.e backwards), and have a car jack under the pedal, and then use an 8mm Allen key and an old Brompton seatpost as a lever.

Easy solution in both the garage and on the trail….

DrP

codybrennan
    Free Member

:)

DickBarton

I can see that removing paint or worse…although I knock myself out, I’ll stick to the pedal and Allen key getting pushed down very hard – bloody hurts and I do seem to be out or stunned for 5-10 seconds, but it gets the crank off… thankfully only had to do it twice, but both times I’ve skelp my head off the top tube when it finally let go!

nwgiles

i use a 2 ft breaker bar with allen key heads, nothing is stuck

haggis1978

I tie the non drive side crank to it’s chainstay and then slide an old handlebar over my Allen key. I used the strap of a ratchet strap but not the ratchet itself.

thepurist

For DUB the method I’ve found is to use a socket on the DS bolt with about 1m length of alu tube as a long extension to the handle, then a length of rebar into the NDS axle (wrap it in a rag if you want) and a similar 1m ish length of appx 2×2 braced between the rebar and the NDS pedal. Set it up so both are pointing up, DS lever slightly forward NDS slightly back then just push the NDS lever and pull the DS and the bolt comes undone easily.

pictonroad

just strap the crank arm to the frame with a couple of soft nylon straps and use a breaker bar.

joebristol

I always make sure when I put the crank bolt in that’s it’s got generous amounts of copper slip grease in the threads. Torque it with a torque wrench to the torque quoted it should be at.

Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue undoing the crank bolt – I use an old torque wrench that has a decent length handle (it’s a cheapie Lidl one that the torque function has died on but the ratchet still works) and just stand on the pedal whilst pushing on the torque wrench handle. It’s tight but usually undoes without issue.

desperatebicycle

We had to replace my son’s Dub in his, not too-well-maintained bike and had him standing on the opposite pedal, while I tried with an allen key with a metre long barbell bar as an extender. All it felt like was going to happen was the allen key would snap… We happened to be going to BPW and gave it to the workshop. Got it back and they didn’t even mention it! Pro workshop for the win :D

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yup, been doing that for years!

Similarly, for getting tight pedals off, use a big workshop-style allen key and just rotate the cranks until the plastic body hits the seat tube. Easy!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Although on reflection, every set of SRAM cranks I’ve used this trick on, the self-extracting bolt (and hence the allen key) are on the drive side, so I’d have the reversed pedal up against the bottom of the down tube.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We had to replace my son’s Dub in his, not too-well-maintained bike and had him standing on the opposite pedal, while I tried with an allen key with a metre long barbell bar as an extender. All it felt like was going to happen was the allen key would snap… We happened to be going to BPW and gave it to the workshop. Got it back and they didn’t even mention it! Pro workshop for the win :D

To be fair, this is the kind of thing the ugga-dugga gun was invented for, they probably didn’t even have to hold the crank still whilst it rattled it loose.

nickc

Stupid design though, shimano pinch bolts are 10x better.

Yes it is. Every time I have to change the BB, I mentally price up a Shimano chainset.

I’ve also invested in a 3ft long breaker bar, still takes a bit of grunting sometimes.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks Stevo, guess there’s nothing new under the sun. I’ll withdraw my patent request :) and as you say, downtube could also be used.

mrauer

I usually tie the other crank to the chainstay with 2 pedal straps to hold the cranks while I apply torque. Use a Wera allen key that is less likely to round the bolt, and use a long pipe to give extra leverage. If it seems to be very stuck, I will probably heat the bolt a little with either hot air blower or a gas torch.

I always have those pedal straps around, a few hanging from the work stand. They are really useful for many things – f.ex. taking off the fork, I will use a strap to hold the handlebars on the top tube, another to keep the headset and spacers in order while I service the fork and so on.

pictonroad

Yes @mraeur Someone else who has seen  the light. Couple of nylon straps round the chainstay, takes ten seconds to secure. Be away with your solution, backwards pedals against a seat tube??? and whatever that nonsense is with a car jack.

(insert smiley face)

codybrennan
    Free Member

Philistines :)

didnthurt

I use an old pair of handlebars as a breaker bar, slide it over the allen key.

I’ve found the factory fitted cranks feels well higher than the recommended 55Nm. Nice idea with the pedal, will try to remember that for the next time.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

What haggis said, strap the NDS crank arm to the chain stay, no other hacks needed.

fenderextender
    Free Member

But the bigger question is this.

Why, when you can get a crankset (Shimano) with a far better solution, would/should anyone end up with a make where hacks, jacks, vices and breaker bars are the norm to simply remove them?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Is the Shimano system a better solution? The SRAM system is a pig to get off, for sure, but taking your cranks off is pretty rare and there are easy enough solutions (as illustrated by this thread!). Never failed to get one off, never damaged one.

On the other hand, I’ve seen quite a few Shimano cranks with snapped bolts and stripped threads. If it comes a little loose while you’re riding and you don’t catch it right away, you’re very likely to trash the cranks.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.