Home Forums Bike Forum Have we done 6.2” tyres yet … and 24” rims …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Have we done 6.2” tyres yet … and 24” rims …
    letmetalktomark

New Surly Moonlander announced today :-)

Mentally brilliant

Moar info here >> https://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander-v2

5lab
    Free Member

looks quite bumpy on the video – he said he was commonly running ~6 psi and it was really pressure sensitive – not sure its hugely useful with that in mind

didnthurt

I’d like a shot.

Northwind

Love the wheels, hate everything else about it tbh. I’ll stick with my Dune and its 4.8s

MoreCashThanDash

Love the madness, but boy is that frame ugly!

Mugboo

I’ll stick to my Dude with Jumbo Jims but hats off to Surly for pushing boundaries. After watching that it seems like it needs and a built in way of automatically changing tyre pressures as the terrain changes. Might as well add a motor to that gearbox too if you are adding a battery.

abingham

Would absolutely love a go on one – MTB rock crawling sounds like great fun!

RustyNissanPrairie

Pah! 10″ is where it started, we should actually be riding them on the moon by now.

https://bikepacking.com/plog/hanebrink-extreme-terrain-fat-bike/

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Yeah, feels like it would be a brave purchase. Ice cream truck with 4.8s seems a safer bet. Those tyres are going to be special order only and ultra expensive, and with regards to availability, it’s only a matter of time before you can’t get them.

John

wheelsonfire1

@abingham The insane grip from the rear wheel of my Kona Wo (26” x 4.8”) makes me very happy! It crawls over rocks and up slopes with ease, no feeling for grip and wasting energy. I’ve cleaned climbs that I couldn’t 20 years ago and it’s re-lit my enthusiasm for mountain biking.

40mpg

If I was planning a ride across the Sahara or arctic that would be top of the list. In fact I can see that bike opening up new riding opportunities for appropriately minded people, like fatbikes did 10 years ago.

I think I’m happy with my Ice Cream Truck for the local beaches and annual alpine snow trips though, but certainly wouldn’t turn down the opportunity to have a go on one ?

letmetalktomark

@wheelsonfire – Although my fatty (Puffin) has a set of rather diminutive tyres (4.8 & 4.6) climbing is an absolute joy on it. It’s not quick but it will crawl up some crazy climbs – in the words of Grind Hard Plumbing – “places you can’t even walk…”

I imagine if you have the legs for it the grip coming from this would be amazing.

wheelsonfire1

@letmetalktomark yes, the grip, and grins would be amazing! I’m still experimenting with tyre pressures and at 64 getting leg strength back is slower, but, it’s so much simple fun that I’ve been up and out of the house whilst it’s still dark and I think I’m addicted!!

big_scot_nanny

It looks like it has been designed for electrification, I’d love a go, but not sure I’d want to pedal it up too many hills! (and I’m a fully signed up fatty lover, riding 100mm clown shoes with 4.8s).

abingham

@wheelsonfire1, I had a similar experience when I first rode my old Pugsley up some steep stuff. It felt ludicrous compared to the trail bikes I’d been riding until that point! Fat bikes to make technical climbing an utter joy (provided you don’t value speed particularly highly).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.