Home Forums Bike Forum Have DH bikes changed much?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Have DH bikes changed much?
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

A 2018 trail or enduro bike would be very different to a 2024 model. But can the same be said for DH bikes? Have they changed much over the pasts few years? If i were to look at a cheap DH rig how many years back could i go and still find something that behaved like a more recent model?

dave_h

I’m no expert on the subject but they’ve got a bit longer and changes in wheelsize (26 / 27.5 / 29 / Mx) as per trail bikes but head angles have largely stayed the same and seat angles changing mainly to increase reach.

I’d say the biggest change has been increased amounts of adjustability.

A comparison of a few of the more popular DH bikes
    https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/yt-tues-2016-m,yt-tues-2023-regular-m,canyon-sender-cf-7-0-2017-m,canyon-sender-2022-m,specialized-demo-8-i-2015-med,specialized-demo-2022-s2/

weeksy

The main difference is adjustability in terms of Flip chips, headsets, 29 front ends, mullets, full 29.

2018 or so you’re getting into adjustable DHs. Things like a GT Fury is adjustable for mullet

steveh

Yes they’ve changed just like any other bike and on a similar scale.

ayjaydoubleyou

For the amateur park rider and possible occasional racer, they probably have stabilised since ‘18, ‘19 or so. Geo has been pretty consistent, choice of 29 or mullet, the components largely unchanged.

about half the brands have gone high pivot, the other half say it’s not necessary.

for the money no object factory team pro, it’s progressing probably faster than ever.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have a 2016 YT Tues in large that’s geometrically identical to the 2021 in medium.

So maybe, maybe not.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.