Home Forums Bike Forum Had anyone had a steerer tube replaced?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Had anyone had a steerer tube replaced?
  • bens
    Free Member

I was fortunate enough that Hayes in Germany sent me a free CSU for the Mezzer that I bought second hand (exceptional service really) but unfortunately, the second CSU has now started creaking.

I don’t really want to push my luck with Hayes so I was thinking about sending the original somewhere to have anew steerer pressed (and hopefully bonded) in.

A new CSU is about £250, looking around online, an ND Tuned replacement is ~£100 plus a bit for the actual fitting.

I could probably get busy with some box section and a bottle jack but I think something like this is probably best laft to someone who knows what they’re doing?

I’ve read a few things that suggest the anodising on the crown/ steerer makes retaining compound less effective and you really need some fretting on the two parts for the retaining compound the be effective? Kind of makes sense but being the non engineer that I am, I’m not really sure.

Has anyone had one done? Any recommendations where to send it?

ehrob

Jtech did a fork for me (36), top service as ever.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Might not need a new steerer. Might be able to take the steerer and stanchions out and bind them back in. There is a suggestion that a little corrosion in there once cleaned off, actually gives some room for the bonding agent.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.