Home Forums Bike Forum Gravel frame – Orange RX9 v Sonder Camino

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Gravel frame – Orange RX9 v Sonder Camino
    dirkpitt74

I’ve narrowed my choice of gravel frame down to the 2 above.

Both around the same price.

Comparing the geo to my previous Cannondale Topstone the Orange is closer to it with the Camino being a bit longer reach and having a higher stack.

Screenshot_20240915-113100

Which ever I go for it will be 27.5 wheels.

Anyone have experience of the Camino and RX9 ?

Also quick question about bar width – what’s the best way to determine that – is it based on shoulder width?

PJay
    Free Member

Both around the same price.

I don’t have experience of either I’m afraid, but I was going to say that I’ve always felt that Orange were a bit overpriced. You might have found a retailer with a good deal on the RX9 frame, but on the Orange site it’s £1000, against £599 for the Camino, which strikes me as significant.

I also thought that Orange were in administration (although that might have changed) so warranty might be a bit dubious long term.

chestrockwell

Orange are out of admin and back to normal.

Ultimately comes down to which geometry you prefer but having looked at both when I had a gravel bike the Orange was better finished than the Sonder. That’s not to say the Camino isn’t great but it’s built to a price point.

bowglie

No personal experience of the RX9, although a friend switched her RX9 for a Topstone and seems happier with the latter. I’ve had an alu and then Ti Caminos (v1´s) and got on really well with them. Only sold the Ti recently because of health issues preventing me from using it.

FWIW, I demo’d the latest versions of both the alu and Ti Camino last year and couldn’t feel any difference! If I was getting one, I’d up-spec the alu version (maybe with a suspension fork:))

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.

I’ve found a half price RX9 frame – hence same price as the Camino.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve found a half price RX9 frame – hence same price as the Camino.

That’s a bargain, and no warranty doubts either so it’s sounding good.

There’s a review on here of the 2023 Pro build RX9 if that’s any help.

https://singletrackworld.com/gritcx/2023/01/orange-rx9-pro-review/

They also have a Camino ‘first look’ but it’s from 2020 so perhaps not comparable to the current model. Not really a review either.

chestrockwell

If you haven’t seen, Orange have some good deals on the gravel frames on their website so you have a choice of a few colours. X9 is the same as the RX9 iirc, just sold with suspension. The Speedworks on sale is an older RX9 too from memory? Don’t forget to add the code for another 10% off.

Can’t paste the link for some reason?

forked
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the Topstone?

I’d go for the Sonder of the two. It comes with a full carbon fork, for a start.

Orange gravel/cx bikes have always looked dreadful. This latest one looks like they’ve managed to catch up with the 2015 Pinnacle Arkose.

dirkpitt74

@forked nothing wrong with the Topstone – I sold it a while back though.

intheborders
    Free Member

I sold it a while back though.

What didn’t you like about it, and are the Orange & Camino different (in that respect)?

And any reason for little wheels?

jameso

Also quick question about bar width – what’s the best way to determine that – is it based on shoulder width?

It was for road race bikes going back a while but I don’t think it’s s relevant on a gravel bike. If you’re looking at a M size bike I’d start with something that puts the hoods main grip centres about 42 to 44cm apart – an average 54-56cm road bike’s bar width or a size wider basically. FWIW I find I’m more likely to have discomfort from a drop bar that’s a bit too narrow there vs one that’s wider (within reason / normal drop bar sizes). Yet road pros are using really narrow bars now and turning the STIs in for the aero thing, so maybe going narrow’s not a general problem.

dirkpitt74

@intheborders I quite like the Topstone, it just wasn’t getting used – now have a bit more opportunity to use one.

Small wheels only because I have spares sat in the garage – also allows me to run bigger volume tyres.

zilog6128

I would’ve had an RX9 if it were UK made (just because!), but considering it’s just A N Other gravel frame, I really don’t see the point tbh – very overpriced. Ended up a massively reduced Carbon Topstone this year, which is awesome – almost totally different bike to the alu version though (geometry & features are different).

stingmered

Topstone: Sold it because of the square taper BB… does not belong on anything other than vintage and kids’ bikes nowadays!

sillyoldman

If running the bars at the same height, the Orange will be shorter in effective reach than the Cannondale as you’ll need to space it up (and hence back) on the steerer.

The Camino has more similar stack, so the on-paper reaches are more directly comparable. The Camino is longer, so a shorter stem than you ran on the Cannondale should correct and work well with the slacker HTA. The Camino’s steeper STA may slightly offset the reach increase when seated, but the saddle rail horizontal adjustment scope may mask that depending on where you ran the saddle on the Cannondale.

drewd

I’d been casually eyeing up both the Camino and the RX9 as a potential replacement for my 2014 Charge Plug 3 and 2014 Giant Defy. I ride a small frame size and was wanting something with better tyre clearance, reduced toe overlap, better standover and thru axles. I know the Camino is well regarded on here, but I’m surprised there’s not much love for the Orange.

I’d been looking at the 2021 and 2023 RX9 frames as they’re both reduced to £240 or £280 for frame only, plus an extra 10% discount. The frame and fork at £500 still seemed too pricey to me as I could source the frame and a fork seperately for less. Can I ask what puts people off them? Is it the price? Qualtiy? Or the geometry? I’d read the Singletrack review of the 2023 RX9 and it seemed positive, but there’s really not much else out there.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m a very happy Camino owner – one thing, based on a quick look at the Orange website, is that the RX9 apparently maxes out at a 42mm 700c tyre. while the Camino will take a 50mm, which may or may not be a consideration. Fwiw I’ve found fast 45mm tyres really suit the Camino.

Can I ask what puts people off them? Is it the price? Quality? Or the geometry?

I’m not sure it’s any of those things. I didn’t even consider the RX9 when I bought my Camino frame a few months back, largely because I didn’t know it existed. whereas the Camino has a pretty high profile. Maybe Orange simply hasn’t been promoting it very well?

I love the Camino, it’s a slightly bonkers, waggy-tailed, happy sort of bike that sits at the mountain bike end of the gravel bike continuum. No idea how the Orange compares.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.

Leaning towards the Camino as they’ve just dropped the price to £499.

Also means I can choose a colour as the Orange was only available in Sand.

@BadlyWiredDog
    how does the Camino size up? What size do you have & what height are you?

faustus

Have owned a V3 Camino for 4.5 years now. Pretty happy with it, and as said it’s at the mtb end of gravel bikes. It’s not that swift on road even with semi-slicks, and the V4 (current version) is slacker and longer than mine, so bear that in mind – it’s a very different bike to the Topstone above. It’s very versatile though, and tough. Sizing, their guide is about right. I’m 185cms and went for an XL as that’s my preference for road/gravel bikes, as I wouldn’t want to size down on this kind of bike. Think with that HA there’s little worry of toe overlap too.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.

Camino frame ordered!

Blackflag
    Free Member

Camino frame ordered!

Excellent. Now call them up and try and get it changed to the ti version ;-)

dirkpitt74

@Blackflag unfortunately the budget doesn’t allow for Ti!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi Dirkpitt. I’ve had both. I had one of the original RX9 and a Ti Camino V2.

Loved both bikes, but i would say the Camino rode better ( not just because it was Ti). Nicer geometry, nicer ride. So you’ve definitely gone for the right one.

Marin
    Free Member

Ooh too late. I’ve test ridden a Camino for a day. Didn’t like it and think 1* is not enough for thrashing round Wales and the Lakes and clunky on the road.

Bought an RX9 full bike top spec version for £1100 when everyone panicked over Orange possibly going bust. Great fun to ride and it came in orange! If it was sand I would have said no as well.

quentyn

I too bought one of the rx9s when they were going cheap. Also in fizzy orange.. it’s made up with grx400 and some other parts and I’ve been happy with it so far. I just did back-to-back 160 km rides on the weekend and with continental GP 5000 tires it was absolutely fine. One of the days we managed to average 26 km an hour with several of the segments being 30 to 32 km an hour…..

The only thing I’ve really done to mine is I changed the wheels to hope gravel wheels, and it got a new chain after 3500km

Overall I’m really happy with the bike as it just goes anywhere I want it to go. I’m really impressed with the continental GP tires, unless it’s muddy. You can ride them on gravel or anything really..

Q

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.