Home Forums Bike Forum Golfie advice please

• This topic has 54 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Simon.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Golfie advice please
  • singlespeedstu

No idea. I’ve not been over that way since the closures.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Likewise. Heard the fire road is understandably in a bit of a state and the Big Baw/Aussie mashup isn’t my fave..

mashr

Wardell Way is getting pretty blown out now. Couple of corners where following the rut is definitely not the way to go . . .

Wolverine in the wet is certainly character building.

I was there on Sunday. Wet but everything running well as usual. Liking all the middle trails at the moment

jmac
    Free Member

Me and the family are going to Peebles tomorrow, staying till Saturday. I’m planning to escape and get some riding in and hoping to ride Golfie.
    Having never been before, I have no idea how the conditions are with all the recent rain. Can anyone offer advice on trail choice or am I best sticking to the trail centres to avoid slop?

mashr

Golfie rides really well when wet – wouldn’t bother adjusting plans other than maybe not starting with the steepest stuff when it’s your first time.

chakaping

As above, it’s pretty decent in the wet.

I often start with Plan B / Rock& Roll, which is on the more mellow side for the Golfie.

New York New York will also allow you to get off the brakes for a few seconds and is fun.

Repeat offender & 3G are a couple of the most “Golfie” trails there IMO, both v good.

Feed the Pony is superb, is you fancy a long push up.

Underdog is a fab way of getting back towards the town.

jmac
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot. chakaping, some of those were on my to-do list so I’ll take your advice.

fathomer

@chakaping advice is spot on. All depends on how long you’ve got and how fit you are but the push up to Feed the Pony is well worth it. It’s just a shame the bottom of Big Baw is shut at the minute as the bottom of Aussie Rules was ‘interesting’ at the weekend!

Northwind

Honestly I love Feed The Pony but you can pretty much do 2 other trails for the same investment of time/effort, makes it a fairly hard sell for me.

The wolves are all shut midweek at the moment for forestry work, I think only new york new york is open of the high stuff but that’s OK since getting up to the top isn’t much fun in bad weather, super exposed. NYNY itself can get pretty slimy in the wet especially lower down, some of hte more recent work isn’t standing up so well.

People are spot on,you don’t really need to tailor for trail conditions but you can definitely focus on lower trails and more protected climbs, there’s actually a lot lower down. Community Service is an absolute peach, all the Oldschool and Ral Ling and 2nd Base and suchlike, all just means operating off the fire road in the forest instead of venturing up onto the exposed top/ And if you want to do 3g or repeat offender you can dive into the woods earlier instead of doing the section over the moor and at least that way you get some shelter to get ready. Doesn’t make a big difference to the riding but just makes the logistics a wee bit nicer.

Simon

We’re in the Tweed Valley this weekend, what Golfie trails are currently affected by forestry works?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

From trailforks, which I think is relatively good at being updated..

Midweek No Social, No Content and Only Fools all shut. Upper Big Baw into Aussie also.  Fine Saturday and Sunday

No access to Pony trails 7 days a week, same as lower Big Baw.

Simon

I’d looked at Trailforks, I just wondered if any locals could say how up to date the info was.

mashr

Midweek No Social, No Content and Only Fools all shut. Upper Big Baw into Aussie also.  Fine Saturday and Sunday

this does mean taking the lllloooooonnnnnngggggg way to No Social and Content though as the push up is closed every day

singlespeedstu

Yes to the above unfortunately.

Access only via the horseshoe ridge as far as I’m aware.

Simon

Forgot about this thread. While we were up there a local advised us to ignore the Big Baw closure tape.
    We did.
    The trail had been cleared and was riding really well?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.