Home Forums Bike Forum Golfie advice please

• This topic has 54 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Simon.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Golfie advice please
  • Mugboo

Planning on heading up from Yorkshire for a day at the Golfie on Monday. I’ve noticed that there are some potential trail closures on the way.

We are on ‘old fashioned’ bikes so 5 runs will be enough from previous experience, which should they be? Emphasis on fun rather out and out death defying please.

Previous Golfie experience, Wolfs, 3G, New York, Flat White, Boner/Waterworld, Awkward little f*****, FtP.

And is it still ok to park overnight in the Inners Car park or is there a better spot to stay?

frogstomp

Which of ^^those^^ did you like / prefer?

I think the closures mainly affect Big Baw and Aussie Rules but have been put back to the end of the month. Big Baw is definitely worth doing (I’ve not done AR) whilst it’s available but does spit you out on the opposite side of the hill so it’s a bit of a slog back round.

Otherwise, I’ll recommend : NY NY (has had work on it recently), Wardell Way (new and different to most of the other stuff), Repeat Offender and Community Service / Final Fling.

singlespeedstu

Closures have been put back for around another week I think.
    Check with TVTA for details.

I’d do a few trails you’ve not tried yet.
    Wardell Way, Wolverine(if its dry), RSC, No Content into lower FTP, then head over to Trig Trail and Glenduro.
    If you’ve still got some energy left head up and do the revamped Classic on the way back.

As above trails affected are as far as I know, end of Big Baw, Start of Aussie Rules, Nemo/Waterworld and Jawbone and the fireroad that runs across the bottom of all those trails..

diggery
    Free Member

Ones I’ve enjoyed as well as the above – 3G into The Wardell Way (including lower), Community Service, Repeat Offender full, another quick lap of Lower Wardell Way then over to Big Baw if still open.

Big Baw is awesome – due to be closed for harvesting but I think it’ll still be open on Monday.

TVTA Insta : https://www.instagram.com/p/CxFxOQfoBKd/

Since you’ve done Feed the Pony I’d turn right at the bottom and come back up and hit Right Side Clyde.

If you have any left, back up and Underdog to finish. Not done this yet but folk I know like it.

Hard to go wrong really!

Mugboo

Thank you

Singlespeedstu, that sounds good, is putting that together pretty obvious? My trip up Ftp involved riding Waterworld then pushing up to the top of Ftp.

singlespeedstu

Just use Big Baw to get to the pushup for No Content/lower FTP.
    Trig and Glenduro are back over the river at Walkerburn.
    Classic is off the Inners uplift road.

I might be free to show you round on Monday if it’s not pishing down.

Mugboo

Frogstomp – I’ve enjoyed every trail I’ve ridden up the Golfie, its an amazing spot.

I do think thats it nice to put a day together that includes trails with different flavours.

Mugboo

It had better not be pissing it down or I’ll be having words with the Met Office ;)

Thats a very kind offer, thank you.

singlespeedstu

PM us if you want showing a few trails.👌

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My trip up Ftp involved riding Waterworld then pushing up to the top of Ftp.

It was a lovely push though :D

chrismac

Here at the moment and today is the first day it’s not rained this week. Big baw is still open   Wolverine is a sloppy mud filled rut for the first half. Grip is fine aslong as you don’t touch the roots 😁😁😁😁

mashr

It was a lovely push though 😀

especially if its wet

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Here at the moment and today is the first day it’s not rained this week. Big baw is still open Wolverine is a sloppy mud filled rut for the first half. Grip is fine aslong as you don’t touch the roots 😁😁😁😁

Anything else that should be given a wide berth if its been raining?

singlespeedstu

Grip is fine aslong as you don’t touch the roots

There’s no roots on Wolverine.
    It’s a lovely armoured trail that’s been built for the wet weather. 😜

Anything else that should be given a wide berth if its been raining?

As long as it’s wet, wet most things are fine.
    It’s when it’s been dry then rains that it’s death.
    No idea what current conditions are like as I was in Dunkeld last week and had a few days off the bike this week.

diggery
    Free Member

I did a big day recently with Inners uplift followed by an afternoon pedal up to the top, couple of runs down then over Big Baw.

Ended with a 6:30pm push up Feed The Pony.  My mate looked like he wanted to punch me!

By the time we got to the gate at the bottom he wanted a fist bump. All was forgiven! Worth it. Just.

snotrag

Op – where in Yorkshire? You doing there and back in a day? Maybe I should consider it doable…

Simon

West Yorkshire. We’re going up Sunday, coming home Monday.

I’ve done Glentress in a day a few times when I was younger but I’m too old for that kind of thing now.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve done Glentress in a day a few times when I was younger but I’m too old for that kind of thing now.

Beers in Peebles is all part of the fun too which you can’t do with a there and back in a day. Enjoy Simon – just pinged Jason as we’re off up tomorrow for the weekend…

aggs
    Free Member

Do not forget to visit the new Tap Room in Innerleithen. :)

Mugboo

New Tap Room! This trip just keeps getting better :)

aggs
    Free Member

<p style=”text-align: left;”>It’s next door to the Traquair Arms ( which is also good) ,  a new micro brewery and tap room.</p>
    Pints of…. Repeat Offender, Angry Sheep, Gold Run ,Edge of the World Amongst others!

singlespeedstu

A micro brewery that doesn’t brew its own beer. 😂

aggs
    Free Member

“A micro brewery that doesn’t brew its own beer. 😂”

😯

goodgrief
    Free Member

The vats are operational now aren’t they? I was shown around the back a couple of months ago and they were just about to have it all plumbed in.

Anyway, been up the golfie this afternoon and conditions are really good. The ground is actually wet now rather than dry ground that’s been rained on and it’s so much better!

chrismac

It’s dried out a bit now and running really well today. Kendal mint cake was a bit of a handful for us. Very slippery

singlespeedstu

Brew kit is in but they don’t have a brewer.
    Or at least they didn’t a couple of weeks ago.
    It’s being brewed by Stewart Brewing.

dropoff

We particularly enjoyed Dances with wolves, underdog was fantastic if you like steep. Oh and repeat offerder and helter skelter went down really well in the Durty Tap room.

fathomer

@singlespeedstu Trig Trail and Glenduro, what are they like? Never spotted them and now intrigued.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Last time we were there in May that underdog trail had not long opened and was amazing, especially the second time when you knew what was coming! 2nd base was a bit salty though. The wolfs were well worth it and repeat offender seemed to go on forever (in a good way). Big Baw was closed unfortunately and can’t wait to get back up there. The trails are so good 😍

singlespeedstu

@fathomer.
    Trig trail is open hill at the top and then a bit tighter into the trees.
    Glenduro is a bit steeper and all in the trees. Watch out for the last couple of corners before it drops back onto the fireroad. They can be a bit awkward.

Both good fun in different ways.

airvent
    Free Member

Kendal mint cake was a bit of a handful for us. Very slippery

Can confirm. Body slammed a tree on it today 😂

mahalo

does anyone know if you can still ride Waterworld with the current closures? If not, how do you get over to the FTP/no social push from golfie side?

singlespeedstu

Waterworld/Nemo is closed.
    Big Baw is open on a weekend as far as Aussie Rules then diverts down that.

Or the fireroad across the bottom is also open on a weekend.

mahalo

Appreciate the info cheers 

Simon

Another Golfie question, what’s currently riding well and what should be avoided?

singlespeedstu

Depends what you’re looking for?
    What have you ridden there before?

NYNY, Community Service and RSC have all had work done on them recently.

I’ve not been over for a couple of days as I’ve got the manflue but it’s generally wet with puddles but pretty grippy ATM.

I may head over tomorrow if I’m feeling better.

Simon

Been a handful of times, previously ridden Flat White, Community Service, NYNY, Waterworld, Spanner, one of the Wolves. Last time I was there a couple of months ago I rode Wardell Way, Big Baw/Aussie Rules then FTP.
    I’ll be there with a big group on Sunday including the OP of this thread,  don’t want to do anything too crazy just some fun stuff.

singlespeedstu

just some fun stuff.

Stay away from Wolverine then…

Simon

I’ve watched a couple of videos of Wolverine, looks hard work in the wet🤣 It’s on my list to try but not this time.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

How’s the new one off lower Pony?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.