Home Forums Bike Forum Gloworm Lights Helmet Mounting – Woeful

• This topic has 18 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Gloworm Lights Helmet Mounting – Woeful
  • ieperry
    Free Member

I just bought a set of gloworm lights (the XS). It seems nicely made and the output is impressive but the helmet mount that came with it is terrible.

No amount of faffing about with the included straps and cable ties seems to be able to mount it securely on my lid (Specialized Ambush). Biggest issue is that the mount seems to rotate so the lamp no longer faces forward. The curve of the helmet combined with the flat mount means it pivots around no matter how tight the strap is. Why on earth are they shipping a flat mount that is somehow mean to fit neatly onto a curved helmet?

Gripe over, can anyone recommend a decent go-pro style cycling helmet mount that might work a bit better?

Thanks.

binman

Glue on a GoPro mount.

I would send you a picture of mine if I could.

ieperry
    Free Member

Yeah, makes sense.

I’m always a bit hesitant to go gluing stuff to helmets.

What glue and mount did you use?

Ta.

RicB

Use dual lock Velcro

Glue a piece to the helmet and a piece to the underside of the Gloworm mount. Hold it securely (along with the standard Velcro strap) but you can also easily remove it for day rides

Edit- I used Gorilla glue

jamesfts
    Free Member

I used 3M tape on my old lid to attach a GoPro mount for my X2/XS – worked perfectly. Currently using a Bell Super that comes with a GoPro mount which also works spot on.

Lovely lights, XS/X2 combo with the wireless remote is awesome.

binman

https://photos.app.goo.gl/exaoYE97cC9zVS1s8

Std curved mount ?

Very solid..

GoPro Mount

ieperry
    Free Member

That STD curved mount looks great. Where’d you get it?

Thanks

ieperry
    Free Member

Agreed, the lights are great. Just a wee bit disappointed with the mounting hardware.

Even the strap that came with the battery is terrible. How much more would it cost them to ship with an elastic velcro strap for the battery?

Upon receiving them I’ve immediately had to spend an extra £30 on mounting kit. You don’t get that issue with exposure.

Gripe over. I’m sure I’ll forgive all once I’m on the trails using them.

pdw
    Free Member

Not familiar with this light specifically, but I find that a sugru shim and a velcro strap work really well. Depends on the shape of the underside of the light and top of your helmet, but one mine this is very secure and doesn’t move at all. Plus, it mounts it really low down which makes the weight of the light much less noticeable. I use cling film when making the shim, so it’s not stuck to either the light or the helmet.

binman

I think the mount came with my GoPro but you can pick them up on eBay etc.

I use it with a Gloworm X2 and it’s solid.

ieperry
    Free Member

Is there anything Shoo Goo can’t do? That is a great idea. Thanks.

DanW
    Free Member

Just buy a Go-Pro helmet mount that comes with adhesive foam

Something like this….

and click in the mount you already have.

If you have an older nonGo Pro style Gloworm mount then the bracket from this item clicks in to the ebay bases as well…

https://www.glowormlites.co.nz/product/gloworm-cnc-qr-helmet-mount/

binman

Should have been clearer sorry.

The GoPro mount has a 3M adhesive pad on it, you just peel off the backing and stick it down. There is a perfect fitting spot for it on the Specialized Ambush

ieperry
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ve ordered a set of the genuine GoPro pads as shown by DanW.

Don’t get me wrong here. The lights are great, the batteries seem nicely put together and the remote switch is simply awesome.

Just a shame that the fitting kit supplied doesn’t quite work (or at least is not the same standard as the lights). After spending £335 (XS and a second battery) you’d expect to have all the parts you need.

I guess the heads-up to people considering the lights is to buy the mounts suggested above and some decent quality velcro straps from elsewhere at the same time (if you plan on frame mounting a battery). That way you’ll be able to get up and running immediately.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Just an idea on the frame mount, speak to Mark @ MTB Batteries.

He supplied me some of his replacement batteries for my old XS – this came with little case that velcros around the battery and has straps to attach to your frame. It’s a perfect fit for the 4 cel battery and I’m sure if he has one would happily supply for a sensible price.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Gloworm 1

Gloworm 2

DanW
    Free Member

Those little cases come with a lot of Chinese lights and can be had for bobbins 🙂 Quite good for giving an extra layer of muck protection for the battery too.

The stock Gloworm helmet mount worked fine for me for years so I don’t see the problem myself. Easily fixed by a sticky mount for a few pounds if you disagree so hopefully you are all set now 🙂

One final thing for when the base arrives, is that the click in and out can be quite stiff when new but it gets easier after a few uses.

I’ve got so many spare lenses and odd bits and pieces for Gloworm lights that I seem to have collected over the years you if you need anything let me know.

binman

I would recommend not frame mounting the battery of you helmet mount the light 🤫😁.

DanW
    Free Member

It does help keep your head down and not be tempted to slack off and sit up 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Gloworm Lights Helmet Mounting – Woeful’ is closed to new replies.