Viewing 19 posts - 161 through 179 (of 179 total)
  • Gggglllaastooooooo 2019
  • DezB
    Free Member

The Billie Eyelash made a right mess for someone else to clear up.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Dave wins the prize for the guest artist.

DezB
    Free Member

How many times has he practised that in the mirror?! Hilarious 😀

senorj

We’ve all done it dez!
    Awesome Alex.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Caught up with a few sets.
    Idles, Killers, enjoyed. Killers are very good at what they do.
    Jon Hopkins, enjoyed it much less than expected. He seems to have made an entire live set from one track and is in grave danger of disappearing – in a very slick professional manner – up his own bottom.
    Kylie, no.
    Janet, no.
    Yet to check out Tame Impala and Stormzy.

Anything else I should look out for? The more leftfield the better.

CountZero

Was Janelle Monae doing cover versions of discarded Prince tracks?

As I understand it, they were working on collaborative material, so little wonder there’s a strong Prince quality. Although probably better quality than much of Princes’ output in recent years; he was incredibly prolific, but QC seemed to be on an extended vacation…

Northwind

Just watched Slowthai’s set on playback, still can’t decide if it’s good but it’s amazing, I’d have loved to be there. And if you can get Loyle Carner to start a circle pit for you, why not?

doris5000

Thinking about the ‘is Glasto getting too middle class / poncy’ thing, I was mulling over how famously moody it was back in the day. I remembered an article about some Yardies with machine guns taking over a marquee one year. Couldn’t find it. But I did happen across this, from 1994 .

A man died early yesterday at Glastonbury from a suspected drugs overdose, the first death in the festival’s 24-year history, only hours after five people, some of them bystanders, were shot in a separate incident.

Armed police were called when a man began firing a .45 semi-automatic pistol in a fight near one of the stages at 10pm on Saturday. The injured – a man aged 44 and his wife from Bexleyheath, a woman aged 21 from Sutton Coldfield, a man aged 18 from Birmingham, and a man aged 20 from South Glamorgan – were taken to the Royal United Hospital, Bath

….

Mr Eavis, aged 59, said that the shooting was drugs-related. But, he added, ‘I’m not going to stop the show because there’s one crazy guy with a pistol. …. In another incident, a man was slashed in the face.

HOLD ON A SECOND

Five people getting shot by one person is what we would now term a ‘mass shooting’. It would be on every front page! And Eavis just shrugged it off!

My first Glasto was 2000 and I was surprised to see people openly hawking smack and crack. I didn’t see anything properly nasty. But I can’t believe everyone was so casual about that…

kayak23

Watched Miley last night.

She’s got a voice for sure. Potty mind.

It’s as if she’s just discovered the effect of swearing on her parents. Well, maybe not HER parents… 😊

bikebouy
    Free Member

No signs of anyone commenting on Lauryn Hill?

Did she turn up?

Anyone got any links to her performance?

Searching through iplayer and YouTube’s revealing nothing yet..

🤧🥴

Northwind

Saw a review, she definitely turned up but apparently had sound problems and got pissed off and basically phoned it in.

peekay

As others have said in the thread, judging Glastonbury by its televised headliners and then moaning along the lines of “it was so much better in my day… when we got in for free… saw loads of proper bands… not the modern stuff that just sounds like noise…. too middle class ” is missing the whole point of the festival.

Highlights for me were Loyle Carner on Other Stage, Lets Eat Grandma on William’s Green, Stormzy/Killers on Pyramid and the revised late night areas. Miss Lauren Hill is a good instruction if she ever appears on a lineup again.

DezB
    Free Member

As I understand it, they were working on collaborative material, so little wonder there’s a strong Prince quality.

Ah, that explains it then.

Although probably better quality than much of Princes’ output in recent years

I sort of wonder which Prince albums you listened to recent years to base this on… he did some great funk on the HitNRun albums. But I don’t really.

turneround

well said that man….

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

What a year. Back in the real world now.

The lineup didn’t look the strongest on paper this year but when there are about 80 stages/venues that pre-publish their line up and many times that number with bands or DJs that don’t having a good number of slots when you don’t feel like you’re missing someone essential makes it all the better and meant a couple of funky hours with Craig Charles in Shangi La.

The atmosphere and general buzz there this year has to be the best it’s ever been – I had nothing but smiles all weekend and even in huge crowds there was no real pushing or aggro. Lovely.

Janelle Monae’s set the stand out highlight of the weekend – I haven’t caught it on TV yet but from the crowd it was just electric. Almost certainly the best live performance I’ve ever seen. Finished the night dancing in the bar at the edge of the circus field where the DJ was playing top tunes and the full 20+ people we were there with had either been at Janelle or wandered past and we pulled them in. Great.

Lizzo’s set was a bit rougher around the edges but great atmosphere. All the girls around us in the crowd seemed to know every word to every track – she’s going to be big. Neneh Cherry felt flat after it – maybe it got better but after half hour she’d lost us.

Jeff Goldblum’s personality won out over his rather basic piano skills – perfect for a Sunday afternoon. Love Unlimited Synth Orchestra did the same on Satruday (who’d have thought Barry White songs would be perfect sung by Nadine Shah?

Chemical Brothers as reliable as ever – their music is made for a big festival stage. Vampire Weekend have turned into a really tight, sharp band and the extended, rocked up, version of New Dorp New York was my highlight of their set

Still don’t get Idles. Second time I’ve caught bits of them live. Everyone raves and talks about them as future headliners but just leave me cold. Angry man shouts at clouds. Likewise Kate Tempest – she’s great for one track but she does go on a bit.

My first Glasto was 2000 and I was surprised to see people openly hawking smack and crack. I didn’t see anything properly nasty. But I can’t believe everyone was so casual about that…

2000 was a pretty wild year – that was when the fence came down and there were an estimated 250k people at a festival built for 100k. My first was in 1992 which I think was one of the last that didn’t have any Police on site. Back then there were still dealers set up next to the paths above the Pyramid stage with their wares set out in front of them. I think the first year the police were on site they’d got a ‘no interference policy’ and I remember some kid following a Police landrover through the crowd openly hawking e’s and wizz.

Once the proper fence went up in 2002 it got a lot tamer with a lot less ‘edge’ and a lot less theft. Its very rare to see anyone openly dealing now (except for balloons), even late at night at the dance venues. The Police presence is surprisingly low key – I think they’ve greatly reduced the number of uniformed but probably increased the plainclothes presence. It’s not very visible but I’ve been told there is a *lot* of CCTV now and practically the whole site is covered (which seems unlikely given just how large it is) so maybe they’re just using that and then responding when needed.

As I said above, the atmosphere this year was incredibly friendly – much more so than End of the Road, which is a far smaller, older, tamer festival (not to say EoTR isnt great – I think we’re going to go again this year).

DezB
    Free Member

she’s going to be big

Naughty boy 😉
    She is bloody great tho. Although I don’t believe I’m the intended audience 😀

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/D-PvZeHXoAEcrMV.mp4

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/D-PvZeHXoAEcrMV.mp4
    Can’t work out how to embed that

https://twitter.com/BBC6Music/status/1145022189831446528

We went straight to the Ridge and Furrow for a Tequila shot after her set

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, so glad I followed the Twitter link, bloody moronic responses. Argh. 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

I caught a twitter feed from the Grauniad and lo-and-behold there’s 3mins of Ms Lauryn Hill.

Mostly she’s tapping her mike, and looking around.

Sadly, not one of her best performances then 🥴🤷‍♂️

Viewing 19 posts - 161 through 179 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘Gggglllaastooooooo 2019’ is closed to new replies.