Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 371 total)
  • Gender privilege
  • bencooper
    Free Member

So men are privileged a way that so subtle not everyone understands it.

Ways I’m privileged:

– No-one has ever asked to speak to a woman bike mechanic instead of me.
    – No-one has ever suggested I should have sex with them to get ahead in my job.
    – No-one has ever talked to my partner about technical things instead of me when I’m standing right there.
    – I have to worry much less about being physically attacked by someone bigger and stronger than I am.
    – I feel little societal pressure to be the one who stays home with the kids.
    – My appearance isn’t commented on by strangers.

I could go on.

continuity
    Free Member

Why can’t you go through a simple thread without people wilfully lying about a non-existant gender pay gap.

Christ even the wikipedia article explains the myth.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karinagness/2016/04/12/dont-buy-into-the-gender-pay-gap-myth/#7ba1c32c2596

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/10/why-are-women-paid-less/263776/

https://harvardmagazine.com/2016/05/reassessing-the-gender-wage-gap

There is a pay gap between people willing to work long hours in difficult jobs and those who want to spend their time raising a family.

Neither are more valid or valuable, stop politicising it.

poah
    Free Member

So men are privileged a way that so subtle not everyone understands it.

I’d love to know how I’m privileged.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a pay gap between people willing to work long hours in difficult jobs and those who want to spend their time raising a family.

How many women have a path into those areas, how many women are blocked by people worried about them leaving, how many women are able to return to their roles? How are men taking up that slack?

As women generally take time out to have children – I’m sure this thread thinks it’s discrimination that men can’t. If you have less time to earn, perhaps it’s important that it’s quality.

I’d also suggest most blokes address Ben’s list too

I’d love to know how I’m privileged.

as above

outofbreath
    Free Member

how many women are blocked by people worried about them leaving

women generally take time out to have children

I can’t help but wonder if these two points might be related in some way…

poah
    Free Member

as above

none of that applies to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can’t help but wonder if these two points might be related in some way…

I know best keep them in their place otherwise who is going to wash your pants

Leku
    Free Member

Have you ever met a nurse?

outofbreath
    Free Member

I know best keep them in their place otherwise who is going to wash your pants

Indeed, and their place is in the workplace, not washing pants. So equal retirement age ASAP can only be a good thing. Should have happened decades ago.

Have you ever met a nurse?

Equal retirement age should help female Nurses work as long as male nurses. A welcome change, surely?

scotroutes

I’d also suggest most blokes address Ben’s list too

For a start…

– I have to worry much less about being physically attacked by someone bigger and stronger than I am.

Is related to size and strength, not gender and is the sort of generalism that weakens the rest of his argument. There are husbands suffering physical abuse from their wives who are too ashamed to come forward about it due to those types of comments.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as does not addressing the other points

outofbreath
    Free Member

Is related to size and strength, not gender

Men are more likely to be assaulted/murdered than women:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_crime

So that point is nonsense.

olddog

The privilege issue isn’t about individuals but about the way that society is structured which overall favours men, especially in work.

If it is taken down to an individual level then it’s easy to draw an example where X woman is successful and Y man struggles so privilege is not true -but is a false comparison and you have to draw equivalence across a much wider cross section.

Privilege- actually I think advantage is a better – word cuts across more than gender, class is a huge influencing factor for example. All these things create a complicated landscape

bencooper
    Free Member

Is related to size and strength, not gender and is the sort of generalism that weakens the rest of his argument. There are husbands suffering physical abuse from their wives who are too ashamed to come forward about it due to those types of comments.

There are men abused by their wives, of course. But statistically they are in the minority – just look at the statistics for women murdered by their partners or ex-partners.

It it partly about being physically bigger and stronger – were you really trying to deny that men on average are physically bigger and stronger than women? But it is also about men who feel like they own women – the “are you looking at my bird?” effect.

Men are more likely to be assaulted/murdered than women

More likely to be assaulted/murdered by men which pretty much proves the point. Men are more dangerous than women.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think if I was to sum up some of this it would be

White Male seeks Moral High Ground

scotroutes

But it is also about men who feel like they own women – the “are you looking at my bird?” effect.

Hells bells – you’re in Glasgow. You must have experienced the exact gender opposite of that 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

Aye, of course 😀

But that doesn’t alter the statistics.

outofbreath
    Free Member

The privilege issue isn’t about individuals but about the way that society is structured which overall favours men, especially in work.

“Arbeit macht frei”.

If work’s so good let’s lower the retirement age ASAP so women can share the joy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a shame you seem to live in a sheltered place where women don’t work, a hell of a lot do.
    Oh and calssy concentration camp quote

epicyclo

seosamh77 – Member
    any chance of repeating that in swahili?

Wachache tu wataelewa

outofbreath
    Free Member

It’s a shame you seem to live in a sheltered place where women don’t work, a hell of a lot do.

Not just me, it seems:

women generally take time out to have children

ferrals
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Sustaining the human race isn’t a “lifestyle choice”.

These days, unless you live in an area where birth control / abortion is unavailable, it most certainly is a lifestyle choice in the ‘western world’. Being of the age where most of my friends have or are having young children, open discussion of number of kids and impact on household finances, working arrangements and general quality of life is common.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

know what you are saying or should women drop em at lunch? many will be back as soon as stat maternity ends as they can’t afford anything else.

deviant
    Free Member

So your privilege is to earn money and retain domestic help? Your wife’s is? To have a generous benefactor who employs her to keep the house clean? What if she was single? What would that mean?

When I was single I worked and did the household chores….shock horror, it wasn’t that difficult.
    I’m assuming a woman could do the same?

….or are you bringing children into this?

If so, I know the answer to that too….my little sister is currently doing it, partner walked out leaving her with the baby and the state has taken up the slack….to the extent she was even able to become a full-time student and get a degree done on benefits, I work full time, don’t have kids and can’t afford to go back to uni even though it would benefit my career.

But you’re right, poor hard done by women in this day and age….i could also talk about the privilege women enjoy in family court hearings, brother in law with part time work, child care arrangements and own house lost out to methadone addict, alcoholic, sex worker ex girlfriend (who’d had her first child taken into care) because the Neanderthal view of the social workers and court was that “a child should be with its mother” despite all of the above and not being able to offer any evidence why this sound be the case….he was then told by the court to pay back nearly 6 months benefits he’d been receiving while the child lived with him leading up to the case…erm why?….the money had been used to support the child but in the eyes of the court that was the mother’s money apparently and she’d been missing out for 6 months!….the fact that she had nobody to look after except herself for that period seemed lost on them, he got properly f###ed over that day by a family court so biased towards women you couldn’t make it up.

Currently the child misses days of schooling a week, the school says it’s none off their business to report this to social services….i wonder if they’d be so chilled if it was the father depriving the child of education each week?….the child doesn’t attend the speech therapy the court mandated it gord to, does the mother get reprimanded?…does she heck…the child is now old enough to say that it doesn’t want to go back to the mother’s place after a weekend with my brother in law, it says “mummy shouts, mummy phone, mummy sleep”….as I said above, she spends her time in a stupor or on her phone and if the child interrupts he gets shouted at….do social services want to do anything about this?…guess the answer!

Male privilege?….don’t make me laugh.

bencooper
    Free Member

Being of the age where most of my friends have or are having young children, open discussion of number of kids and impact on household finances, working arrangements and general quality of life is common.

And this is one place where it’s unequal. Because there’s a basic inequality there – men can’t breastfeed. Lots of women go back to work after having a child, but it is unequal – it is harder for women to go back to work than it is for men. So women suffer both ways – they’re less likely to be employed because employers think they might leave to have a child, and it’s harder for them to get back into work after having a child.

outofbreath
    Free Member

many will be back as soon as stat maternity ends as they can’t afford anything else.

Dontcha think it’s great that those woman have overcome:

societal pressure to be the one who stays home with the kids.

poah
    Free Member

men can’t breastfeed

we can bottle feed expressed milk.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

trying hard there OOB, maybe head out into the real world for a change, when were you last felt up, when were you last overlooked for an explanation, when was your face ignored for your body?

bencooper
    Free Member

we can bottle feed expressed milk.

Of course. Or there’s formula. But the former still requires the woman to be involved – it helps but it’s not equal.

ads678

and probably pee sitting down

Which is a luxury you should try more often. Take the weight off your feet and relax. During the night peeing sitting down means you don’t even have to open your eyes. Its amazing.

poah
    Free Member

it helps but it’s not equal.

but that’s a stupid comparison though.

outofbreath
    Free Member

But the former still requires the woman to be involved

There’s an obvious solution. Why not offset the maternity leave years against retirement, so the women who are unfortunate enough to miss out on those glorious years of work that men enjoy can gain them back later.

2 Kids = 2 years maternity leave = retire at 69.

ctk
    Free Member

In the tennis grand slams women get equal pay but play best of 3 sets unlike the men who play best of 5. If I was a woman tennis player I’d be up in arms about this! So **** patronising!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why not offset the maternity leave years against retirement, so the women who are unfortunate enough to miss out on those glorious years of work that men enjoy can gain them back later.

so are you lacking in smileys or just being stupid?

ctk
    Free Member

OOB have you sound like you really hate your job 🙁

footflaps

Obvious Troll is obvious….

outofbreath
    Free Member

OOB have you sound like you really hate your job

I don’t hate my job, I just *love* weekends and holidays.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    Obvious Troll is obvious….

Post Trump it’s become harder to tell the obvious troll and the guy you want to avoid meeting in the pub. Some of them seem to really believe their crap

bencooper
    Free Member

They also all blend into the whole MRA/Incel thing.

ehrob

Trolls or not, there’s some appalling, ignorant comment being banded around this thread which there is quite simply no need for.

Whether crap like this is meant as a joke or not, its not funny, unhelpful, and damaging.

Out of interest, what would happen if similar “banter” about an ethnic minority was being used?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 371 total)

The topic ‘Gender privilege’ is closed to new replies.