Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 371 total)
  • Gender privilege
  • cranberry
    Free Member

Anyone else watching Inside Out at the moment with the Women from WASPI ?

What did we want ?

Equality!

When do we want it ?

At a time when it won’t financially inconvenience us and with proper transitional arrangements in place so that we get money from the state until we are 67 unlike those men we want to be equal to.

seosamh77
    Free Member

any chance of repeating that in swahili?

deviant
    Free Member

I’m beginning to think Katie Hopkins was right when she said most women don’t want equal treatment, they want special treatment.

Cougar

Thus spoken like someone who doesn’t understand what “equality” means. Sometimes providing equality requires special treatment.

cranberry
    Free Member

Thus spoken like someone who doesn’t understand what “equality” means. Sometimes providing equality requires special treatment.

Equality is not having to work 7 years longer because you were born with a winky rather than a hooha.

GrahamS

I’m beginning to think Katie Hopkins was right

I know you have a user name to live up to, but that’s taking it a bit far…

Northwind

cranberry – Member

Equality is not having to work 7 years longer because you were born with a winky rather than a hooha.

You don’t have to work to retirement age and a man earns on average £300000 more than a woman over 52 years which could be used to retire earlier.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Providing equality can’t mean specially treatment. Its all about being fair. Put in cyclists terms: Chris Hoy and you/me/ fat average cyclist both on the track. Is fair us both starting together and me getting to 100 metres when Sir Chris does the 250 or me being given a flying start and him being pushed away when I have 100 to go thus putting us over the lines at the same time. To me the former is fair, not the latter. If I object to, say, employees because they miss the bogs because they are a man or get grumpy once a month then that’s my prerogative. To say its unfair is unfair on me surely? When a group wants equality it should be true equality. Eg same pensions and age. Equal!

cranberry
    Free Member

Yes, but the wage gap is due to career gaps and choices of which industries/careers to go into, so that “average woman earns less” argument is due to lifestyle and career choices.

You can work as long as you want, but women shouldn’t be legally entitled to a pension far younger than men. It is shocking sexism and there is simply no excuse for it.

legend
    Free Member

*walts for geetee’s arrival*

scotroutes

legend – Member

I assumed this thread was an attempt to wear out his keyboard.

scotroutes

Northwind

Sustaining the human race isn’t a “lifestyle choice”. And it’s not exclusively down to that either, earnings are not directly equivalent even where a woman has worked a career without gaps.

mattsccm – Member

Providing equality can’t mean specially treatment. Its all about being fair.

But if you say no special treatment, let’s be fair, you’ll never correct an existing unfairness. Just getting a level playing field isn’t enough when up til now you’ve been playing on a slope.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the gender pay gap is unfair
    WOmen retiring earlier is unfair [ and it was never an attempt to redress the gender pay gap and if it was it was a shit way of doing it]

two wrongs dont make a right.

ctk
    Free Member

& women live longer.

No reason for the pension age gap*

*Lots of women end up looking after an elderly relative. Then again lots of men work in massively physical jobs. Maybe there could be flexibility in the pension age?

vickypea
    Free Member

i suspect that male footballers account for most of the overall pay gap between genders and between the rich and poor

DrJ

legend – Member
    I assumed this thread was an attempt to wear out his keyboard.

Or else to make him explode with frustration being unable to join in knowing the pasting he’ll take.

Anyway – Chris Hoy set off up the road 10 minutes before me, but now we’re both pedalling so it’s fair.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Cranberry succinctly sums it up. Society is full of “equality when it suits us” nonsense.

tjagain

utter bollox

There is a group of women – MRs tj is one who had their retirement age raised by 7 years with 5 years notice. Men had their retirement age raised by two years. If you cannot understand why this is unfair then I pity you. Phased in over a longer time – fair. to make someone in their mid 50s approaching retirement work another 7 years for their pension is simply wrong.

scotroutes

Yep. The aim of equalizing it is fair. Suddenly changing it with little notice is not. A more phased approach would have been better.

seosamh77
    Free Member

You all know that all this retirement pish is all unfair, right?

We’re getting shafted and we all seem to be happily taking it.

But squabble among yourselves, that’ll fix it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Agreed but they are separate issues and we were discussing whether both genders should retire at the same age – well it what i thought we were.

If you cannot understand why this is unfair then I pity you

Whatever we did would have been unfair if we raised them both 2 years she still get to retire earlier and if you cannot understand why this is unfair then I pity you

Getting to equality is uncomfortable for those who lose their privilege.

myti
    Free Member

Yep. The aim of equalizing it is fair. Suddenly changing it with little notice is not. A more phased approach would have been better.

Nail on head.

tjagain

scotroutes – Member

well said
    #
    Mrs TJ would have no issue with that. for some women the notice period was well under five years

ahwiles
    Free Member

I don’t know how to ‘do’ images on an ipad, so someone will have to help me out with the equality vs equity image that’s probably due about now…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well at least it’s something later generations won’t have to worry about. Work till you die, true equality.

When the lads in here take even the slightest action on making women more equal then they can have their opinions…

zippykona

If I go to a wedding ,a funeral or a posh restaurant (even if it’s on a tropical island) I have to encase all my body in clothing. From my toes to the noose around my neck.
    Ladies don’t have to.
    That’s an equality I would like.

scotroutes

Wear a kilt?

ads678

My wife never goes to the bar, even when she pays she still makes me go.
    We’ll never get proper gender equality until attitudes like this are changed!!

tjagain

why zippy? Why do you have to do this?

eit – and the ladies dress can only be worn to one wedding. You probably only have one suit you wear time and time again 😉

orangespyderman

I don’t know how to ‘do’ images on an ipad, so someone will have to help me out with the equality vs equity image that’s probably due about now…

[img]https://image.slidesharecdn.com/analysesysteduc4-egalite-equite-inegalites-160310201035/95/analyse-syst-educ4egaliteequiteinegalites-4-638.jpg?cb=1457640654[/img]This one?

enfht
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/onNBxynagXE[/video]

zippykona

why zippy? Why do you have to do this?

Because I will be refused entry.

colp

I always thought “The Krypton Factor” was a bit unfair.
    If you were a fat knacker you got a big head start on the assault course. They never gave the thick ones loads of free points in the knowledge bit.

gonefishin
    Free Member

There is a group of women – MRs tj is one who had their retirement age raised by 7 years with 5 years notice.

No there isn’t. The rise in the age at which women can claim the State Pension to be the same as men, i.e. 65 was passed into law in the late 1990s and it was well advertised at the time. Thats almost twenty years and was deliberately phased to be as slow as possible to ease the change. It is wrong to state that it was done over a period of seven years. Claiming ignorance of this fact is laughable too. This is a change that didn’t affect me but I and many others were well aware of it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Why is ignorance laughable. I had no idea but why should I?
    Face it. Currently if you are in anyway “thought” to be a minority you at favoured.
    As a white, married, heterosexual, employed, married, non child owning, working, motorcycling , shooting, fit and able male I am in the most discriminated class there is. I get nothing. Now that’s not fair. Need means bugger all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes research does indeed show straight white men to be the most persecuted group in in society right now

gonefishin
    Free Member

The claim that it “wasn’t well advertised” and “we didnae know” is laughable. Not knowing is I’m afraid not an excuse that is accepted in any other part of life so I don’t see why it should be accepted here.

Oh and too be clear as a straight white male I do not think of myself as either a minority or discriminated against.

jam-bo

As a white, married, heterosexual, employed, married, non child owning, working, motorcycling , shooting, fit and able male I am in the most discriminated class there is. I get nothing. Now that’s not fair.

Dry your eyes princess.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The claim that it “wasn’t well advertised” and “we didnae know” is laughable. Not knowing is I’m afraid not an excuse that is accepted in any other part of life so I don’t see why it should be accepted here.

Ignorance is bliss and an excuse for a latte?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 371 total)

The topic ‘Gender privilege’ is closed to new replies.