Gender privilege

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 371 total)
  • Gender privilege
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

As a white, married, heterosexual, employed, married, non child owning, working, motorcycling , shooting, fit and able male I am in the most discriminated class there is. I

am less in need of help for me to be able to achieve my potential than others. Due to this I accept that in a fair society that others need help more than me and I am happy they receive it.

oldmanmtb

Hmmmm tomorrow-
    Me out of bed at 5 drive to airport on plane 8.30 to the south, 1 hour in Taxi, 7 hour workshop to deliver back in taxi back on plane home 10pm

The other person – may rise at 9 coffee bit of TV, lunch, walk the dog…. to fair I will have a sandwich awaiting me….

That people is equality…

rene59

There will be gender equality when men decide there will be. That’s never going to happen though as for too many it would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. Anyways, most woman would shit themselves if they woke up next week and found themselves with true equality, not the kind they get to pick and choose.

tjagain

Anyways, most woman would shit themselves if they woke up next week and found themselves with true equality, not the kind they get to pick and choose.

What utter nonsense and sexist bullshine. this is precisely the sort of mansplaining that creates sexisim

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Lol the men are revolting on thread… What sort of equality are they going to be upset about? Earnings, sexism, harassment, abuse, being overlooked for jobs in case they get pregnant?

tjagain

gonfishin – simply wrong I am afraid.

vickypea

What utter nonsense and sexist bullshine. this is precisely the sort of mansplaining that creates sexisim

I was about to say something similar but it’s probably better coming from a man than from me.
    Those of you complaining vaguely about sexism against men, explain what “all women” are apparently doing wrong rather than moaning about your partners having an easier job. Maybe try to be a bit more grateful that we juggle having babies and working, and perhaps be grateful that many more of us are in higher education, and working in science and medicine these days after decades of it not apparently being appropriate for women.

Vicky – a lot of men fully appreciate the challenges that women face and recognise the real value in the roles of being a mother and “manager” of the household in addition to working in some cases. You may find that it’s a certain body of women who look down and degrade those incredibly valuable contributions that women make to happy and successful families and children. So please don’t tar us all with the same brush

I actively encouraged Mrs THM to focus on changing her career to focus on what she enjoyed doing (music) rather than high-flying 😉 career and so that she could enjoy being a mother fully. She’s brilliant at it. I am very very lucky too.

Not everyone is a dinosaur, acting inappropriately and then blaming the female victim in question. Plenty of men respect women and treat them appropriately

gonefishin

TJ the initial change was made in 1995. It was speeded up in 2011 and then increased for both men and women after that but the initial change happened 22 years ago. N.B. This is the age at which one can claim the state pension it is not necessarily the age at which you can retire. That can happen before or after this age.

It is also true that a different state pension age for men and women cannot be justified, unless of course you want to use life expectancies…

myti

Fortunatly these dinosaur head in sand poor little men types are dying out. Can’t happen too soon

Yep I don’t know any in real life. They just pop up here occasionally but thankfully are far outweighed by more modern thinking men.

fin25

My wife has a very successful “high flying” job. She’s bloody good at it too. She’s due to have our first child in 4 months, then she’ll have a year off before I quit or massively reduce my less well paid, less important jobs and take over the child rearing while she goes back to her career. Neither of us expect to retire before 70 and neither of us expect, nor have we knowingly received, special treatment.
    The entitled attitude on some of you is ridiculous. 99% of women aren’t asking for special treatment, they’re just asking for a fair go. Now, occasionally, women may have to be given “special treatment” temporarily in certain situations in order for them to have a fair go. If you can’t understand that then you are part of the problem, not the solution.
    As for straight white males being victims of discrimination…
    😆

**** idiots.

kerley

As always (and shown in this thread), those with privilege don’t know they have it and assume any positives in their life are based on what they have done and not the privilege they have been lucky to have (race, gender, money, family etc,.)

enfht

mansplaining

Even funnier when a cuck an ‘enlightened’ bloke uses the term. 😆

rene59

Men who use the term mansplanning non ironically are the same type of men who have man caves (the only bit of their homes they have any say over), have to ask permission from their partners before going out and probably pee sitting down.

fin25

Even funnier when a cuck an ‘enlightened’ bloke uses the term.

You’ve not even got a reasonable argument, just veiled insults. How is calling someone who respects women a cuck any different from being called a (sorry mods) “n***er lover” back in less “enlightened” times?

vickypea

Teamhurtmore- I completely agree with you! I’m certainly not tarring all men with the same brush, I spend a lot of time with male friends partly because of all the MTB I do. I tried to make my comment directed as “those men who vaguely complain about sexism against men” but I’m sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Equality is not having to work 7 years longer because you were born with a winky rather than a hooha.

When a group wants equality it should be true equality. Eg same pensions and age. Equal!

Hmmmm tomorrow-
    Me out of bed at 5 drive to airport on plane 8.30 to the south, 1 hour in Taxi, 7 hour workshop to deliver back in taxi back on plane home 10pm
    The other person – may rise at 9 coffee bit of TV, lunch, walk the dog…. to fair I will have a sandwich awaiting me….
    That people is equality…

most woman would shit themselves if they woke up next week and found themselves with true equality,

This, all of this.

those with privilege don’t know they have it

The privilege of being a man seems is all about work, which isn’t a privilege it’s a chore.

The privilege of being a woman seems to be spending weekdays doing things they want to do and drinking Costa Coffee with friends. Which, surprisingly doesn’t pay as much as work. There are very few men IME who would say no if their wife said “You give up work, I’ll get a proper job”.

Men who use the term mansplanning non ironically are the same type of men who have man caves (the only bit of their homes they have any say over), have to ask permission from their partners before going out and probably pee sitting down.

Which I suspect might be all of us. 🙁

She’s due to have our first child in 4 months, then she’ll have a year off before I quit or massively reduce my less well paid, less important jobs and take over the child rearing while she goes back to her career.

Is that what she told you? Sucker. 😀

neilwheel

Vickypea, Your comment was perfectly clear, it just had selective reading applied to it.

bencooper

The privilege of being a man seems is all about work, which isn’t a privilege it’s a chore.

Whereas the privilege of being a woman is to be able to do most of the domestic chores which, unlike work, don’t provide pay or career progression.

I’d say some of the views on this thread are Neanderthal, but that’s unfair on Neanderthals.

And the idea that I, as a white male heterosexual, am in any way disadvantaged by society is so delusional to be laughable.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

In our shop the Saturday before Mothering Sunday is the busiest day of the year.
    Dads will come in with flowers and buy even more gifts.
    For Father’s Day the mums come in and choose our smallest box of chocolates and fill it with all the ones she likes as “ he won’t care”.
    We used to sell a small teddy in an aeroplane . The small boys would be instantly attracted to it and start playing with it. They would be told to put it down. The young girls would see the pink unicorn cuddle it and most times mum would buy it.
    I work with ladies and they all have grandsons. A scan has revealed that a granddaughter is on the way.
    They’ve told me that every woman really wants a little girl.

Whereas the privilege of being a woman is to be able to do most of the domestic chores which, unlike work, don’t provide pay or career progression.

I’m pretty sure couples typically share domestic tasks but even if they don’t domestic tasks aren’t a 55 hour a week commitment, very few blokes are thinking “Great, I can work full time which allows me to avoid domestic chores.”.

For Father’s Day the mums come in and choose our smallest box of chocolates and fill it with all the ones she likes as “ he won’t care”.

Which is true. Blokes are pretty easy going about presents or lack thereof.

Boba Fatt

women are good at some things, men at others, I couldn’t be a firefighter but plenty women put their lives on the line every day.

If you can walk the walk then everyone gets the same, you can’t just stamp your feet because of what’s between your legs when it suits and play the gender card when it doesn’t

Junkyard

TJ your own link disproves your claim

The Pensions Act 1995 provided for the State Pension age (SPA) for women to increase from 60 to 65 over the period April 2010 to 2020. The Coalition Government legislated in the Pensions Act 2011 to accelerate the latter part of this timetable, starting in April 2016 when women’s SPA was 63 so that it will now reach 65 in November 2018

That is what he is challenging a claim you made – insulting him as a sexist dinosaur and putting a paper that refutes your claim wont help much

Essentially prove this claim

Mrs tj is one who had their retirement age raised by 7 years with 5 years notice.

PS you cannot as its not true .

Junkyard

TJ your own link disproves your claim

The Pensions Act 1995 provided for the State Pension age (SPA) for women to increase from 60 to 65 over the period April 2010 to 2020. The Coalition Government legislated in the Pensions Act 2011 to accelerate the latter part of this timetable, starting in April 2016 when women’s SPA was 63 so that it will now reach 65 in November 2018

That is what he is challenging a claim you made – insulting him as a sexist dinosaur and putting a paper that refutes your claim wont help much

Essentially prove this claim

Mrs tj is one who had their retirement age raised by 7 years with 5 years notice.

I think it will be difficut primarily because its not what actually happened.

poah

try to be a bit more grateful that we juggle having babies and working, and perhaps be grateful That many more of us are in higher education, and working in science and medicine these days after decades of it not apparently being appropriate for women.

most people are in higher education before they have children
    sex does not determine access to higher education
    I gave up a career in science that was higher paid than my wife’s to look after the kids
    science isn’t a gender specific job. at no point have I ever thought if only that prof was a man.
    woman tend to look after the children because they have the boobies and they don’t want to go back to work. Most the female scientists and medics I know are working part time even though their kids are older now.

When I did my undergraduate degree 20 years ago 2/3 of the class were female. I was the only bloke in the lab when I did my PhD (not including my supervisor).

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I’m pretty sure couples typically share domestic tasks but even if they don’t domestic tasks aren’t a 55 hour a week commitment, very few blokes are thinking “Great, I can work full time which allows me to avoid domestic chores.”.

My job isn’t either, perhaps some do both, perhaps your projecting your situation on others, perhaps you should discuss your hurt feelings with your wife

enfht

You’ve not even got a reasonable argument, just veiled insults. How is calling someone who respects women a cuck any different from being called a (sorry mods) “n***er lover” back in less “enlightened” times?

I’m making an obvious observation and the only insults on this thread are coming from those peddling this flawed narrative. 😆

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

is Mrs Troll letting you online tonight enfht?

kerley

The privilege of being a woman seems to be spending weekdays doing things they want to do…….

Okay, so you don’t understand privilege. How your relationships are setup has nothing to do with privilege. If you don’t think your relationships have equality/seem fair then that is your problem to sort out.

perhaps your projecting your situation on others

Typical amongst my friends and aquaintances.

gonefishin

You know I’ve tried to make relatively informed points based on the facts of how the state pension age has actually changed. It does however rather seem that there are people determined to make derogatory comments and indulge in Whataboutery which is rather sad.

I di not think my points were me being a dinosaur and Junkyard I don’t believe that TJs comment was specifically addressed to me. Happy to be corrected though.

vickypea

The privilege of being a woman seems to be spending weekdays doing things they want to do and drinking Costa Coffee with friends. Which, surprisingly doesn’t pay as much as work.

You obviously have a very limited experience of women.

The privilege of being a woman seems to be spending weekdays doing things they want to do…….

Okay, so you don’t understand privilege.

So men are privileged a way that so subtle not everyone understands it. Doesn’t sound like much of a privilege!

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

So men are privileged a way that so subtle not everyone understands it. Doesn’t sound like much of a privilege!

So your privilege is to earn money and retain domestic help? Your wife’s is? To have a generous benefactor who employs her to keep the house clean? What if she was single? What would that mean?

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

A hundred years ago millions of men took full advantage of the privilege of being slaughtered in the trenches.
    Yes that war was caused by men willy waving but other men paid the price.

neilwheel

“A hundred years ago”…What’s your point?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 371 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.