Home Forums Bike Forum Garmin Edge Explore help – detours from planned route/course

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin Edge Explore help – detours from planned route/course
  • vlad_the_invader

Let’s suppose you’ve planned a route as a course and synced it over to the head unit. You’re then out riding and are following the course but you need to divert (temporary road closure, bike mechanical, emergency cake stop, whatever).

Let’s assume you don’t know how to navigate to said cake stop or bike shop and need the unit to do it for you.

1: What is the easiest way to insert one or more additional POI or route diversions into an on-going route/course?

2: And how can you then (easily?) return to the route (either via the quickest way or via the point you left the original route)

Let’s assume you’d just past point A and there’s a bike shop or cafe at point C, and point B is the next stop on your planned route:

Screenshot_20240830-123544~2

I can see you can stop and existing course and change to another course quite easily but do I have to then swap back to the original course???

crazy-legs

Are you on the original Explore or the new Explore 2?

The original one was a **** for going all haywire if you went off course, the new one is better although sometimes you have to pause the existing course. The new one has options to navigate to points of interest and it’ll re-route to the old course once you resume navigation.

Watch the re-routing though – the unit will often insist on turning you around to the last point you were supposed to be at rather than looking at the route and calculating that it can cut off 2 sides of a triangle and just rejoin up ahead.

vlad_the_invader

It’s the Edge Explore 2.

I just bought it because my Edge 530 won’t allow me to start a second course whilst an activity is in progress and I thought/hoped the Explore 2 would be “better” for in-flight re-routing when you want to return to the original course

I can sorta workaround the problem but was on the lookup for a more efficient method of returning to the route (either to original point of departure or the nearest point to your present location)…

cookeaa

Have you got ‘auto reroute’ or whatever it’s called turned on?

StirlingCrispin

Stop the route. Scroll the map and drop a pin into the cake stop and tell the unit to navigate to the pin.

After the cake stop, drop a pin on the original route and and tell the unit to navigate to the pin.

– This may also work but I am not sure: Reload the original route and tell it to follow that (but not from the start).

MadBillMcMad

Vlad,

You said that you can’t start a new course when an activity is in progress.

My experience (with a garmin 830) is that when an activity is in progress I can’t start a course using the strava or komoot links, but I can start a preloaded course.

Odd and annoying.

crazy-legs

My experience (with a garmin 830) is that when an activity is in progress I can’t start a course using the strava or komoot links, but I can start a preloaded course.

Yes, it can only cope with doing one thing at a time. However, what it can do is a series of steps. Let’s say you have a ride in mind going from A > B > C > D and back to A.

You know A > B very well so no point in getting it to nav you so you start the unit, ride from A > B
    At point B, you want the unit to nav you around B > C > D so you go through the screens to Courses, find your (preloaded) B > C > D route, load it up and it’ll nav you around it without stopping and restarting the Activity.

If you get to C and decide you don’t want to carry on to D, you actually want to go to E, you can stop the Course (without stopping the Activity), scroll through maps or the search function to locate E, drop a pin and get the unit to nav you to it on the fly. Once at E, if you re-load the original B > C > D route, you’ll be able to navigate back onto it visually (the unit will complain bitterly about going to a point midway along it, it will keep asking if you want to route to the start). Once back on route, it will (after a few seconds) realise you’re on course again and carry on navigating you to D.

They work in a different way to car sat navs which will always just re-route to your original destination no matter what you do.

cookeaa

My recent experience from my 540 (should work the same as the explore 2) is you can is you can chuck it a route from your phone or pick one already uploaded from the navigation menu at any time during an activity without having to pause/end the ride.

vlad_the_invader

Stop the route. Scroll the map and drop a pin into the cake stop and tell the unit to navigate to the pin.

After the cake stop, drop a pin on the original route and and tell the unit to navigate to the pin.

– This may also work but I am not sure: Reload the original route and tell it to follow that (but not from the start).

Yeah, that’s the “workaround” I figured out. I’d hoped that when Garmin decided to call the unit “Explorer”, there be a simple way to go off-route, “explore” and then carry on route! ?

vlad_the_invader

Hmmm, I didn’t realize that would work but, having said that, it’s unlikely that I’d have a pre-loaded course from my point of route divergence to the cake stop…

vlad_the_invader

Have you got ‘auto reroute’ or whatever it’s called turned on?

For the moment yeah, it’s switched on but there are a couple of options I still need to play with…

butcher

No comments on today’s stage yet? That was the best battle of sheer will and pain faces I remember seeing for a long time. Absolutely brutal.

butcher

Wrong thread

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.