Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 699 total)
  • Game of Thrones – Of course it has Spoilers
  • Drac

Yes as Arya killed Jack Frost the other week things started to warm up a bit.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve taken on board everything that has been thrown at me ..and enjoyed it all ..but that ending was weak.
    John Snow shouldn’t be alive ..either the Dragon should have made him toast or the unsullied should / would have killed him immediately and not taken him prisoner once they realised what he had done ..
    It might be years from fruition but I do think it’s left the door open for more to come …

swavis

I enjoyed it for what it was and they tied everything up as best they could with the time constraints. I thought the best scene was Tyrion and Jon, it felt more like it used to be with Tyrion plotting against Dany but Jon knowing he was right.

fooman

Game Over

mooman
    Free Member

What a weak and disappointing ending.

All that – for two mediocre characters to get the top seats … I think they really were in a rush to finish. It felt like completely different writers were brought into to wrap things up.

4/10 ending

P-Jay
    Free Member

It might be years from fruition but I do think it’s left the door open for more to come …

Agreed, I know there’s a prequel planned – but there’s ample scope for a sequel.

I really enjoyed the ending, one thing about GoT I always liked was they never tried to make out that the ‘man on the street’ in Westeros gave much of a shit about who was on the throne or who was fighting for it unless they were in the firing line. The ending was good for me because even after all those years of fighting, scheming and triple crossing that went on (which had been going on for centuries before) really not much had changed for the people, they’re still ruled by the most effective bloodthirsty killer, or at least their offspring in the area.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If Arya does find land west of Westeros will she name it Westereros?

mashr

Westesteros shirley?

trailwagger
    Free Member

I think Bran was a good choice, as Tyrion said he knows of all the history of the 7 kingdoms and will therefore be less likely to repeat any mistakes.
    Sansa declaring Wintexit was unexpected too, but she was just pissed she didn’t get the top job.

scud
    Free Member

Very underwhelmed by that, what i loved about the GoT was the dialogue heavy intrigue and back- stabbing, when the big action set pieces came then they were great, but it was about the characters.

This series needed to have been about 10 episodes with more actual story and plotting and not just “lets blow all the budget on dragons and get this series done and dusted”.

fasthaggis

I thought it was a great way to finish, a solid 8/10 .
    For me, it has been an 8 yr viewing investment in an epic series that has rarely disappointed.

The Wire is probably the only other thing to come close, in a sit down and watch it all again type of way.
    Superb.

oikeith

If Arya does find land west of Westeros will she name it Westereros?

Surely GoT is a globe so she’ll find Essos? or is Ayra a flat earther going to find the edge.

Yes as Arya killed Jack Frost the other week things started to warm up a bit.

I did find this odd, winter has been coming for ages, it started snowing when Jamie left KL to fight for the living but then is now warm again. The first series had lots of mentions about winters coming, I assume not everyone one of them was bought on by the NK though!

IHN

Very underwhelmed by that, what i loved about the GoT was the dialogue heavy intrigue and back- stabbing, when the big action set pieces came then they were great, but it was about the characters.
    This series needed to have been about 10 episodes with more actual story and plotting and not just “lets blow all the budget on dragons and get this series done and dusted”.

Yes.

I thought it was a great way to finish, a solid 8/10 .
    For me, it has been an 8 yr viewing investment in an epic series that has rarely disappointed.

Superb.

No.

Imagine something that is whelmed. I’m under that in the sense that the bottom of the Marianas Trench is under the orbit of the International Space Station.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

On a serious note, I didn’t get why Jon didn’t challenge Danaerys about Cersei using innocents as a weapon, as they clearly were not accidental collateral damage. Unless he accepted the story just to stab her.

swavis

And how did they know Jon had stabbed her, did the daft bugger admit it? 😆

retro83
    Free Member

They did a better job of wrapping it up than I thought given the rest of season 8.

It was nothing like as bad as LOST but nonetheless, a disappointing last two seasons for such a brilliant show.

I hope someone does one of those ‘re-edits’ like that dude (Agent9) did with Prometheus to fix the issues.

perchypanther
    Free Member

And how did they know Jon had stabbed her, did the daft bugger admit it?

Grey Worm:  Your Grace, I’ve murdere….Holy Shit! What happened to the  chair? It’s all melted and shit!

Jon Snow – Erm….nothing. ….maybe it was a dodgy fuse or something?

GW: Where is the Queen?

JS: Dunno, maybe she nipped down the shops for ten fags  and some crisps?

GW: ….and what about this fresh pool of blood on the floor? Where did that come from?

JS: Nose bleed innit. I’m not good with heights.

GW: Where is your dagger? You had it with you twenty minutes ago when  I saw you outside?

JS:  I …erm… maybe….ah bollocks, look,  I just stabbed her, right? I get a bit stabby with knives….. It’s a fair cop Guv’nor

Rockape63
    Free Member

And how did they know Jon had stabbed her, did the daft bugger admit it? 😆

I thought that! When she got carried off, I thought that was handy, quickly cover up the blood stains and say she went off on Drogon.

Sorted! 😃

mashr

Grey Worm, Jon Snow and GW episode of GoT would be the bestest evar!

arrpee
    Free Member

Came across a funny exchange on twitter, wherein someone unfamiliar with the show was laughing at the fact that Daenerys had a Dragon called Drogon. People pitched in with explanations along the lines of “No, it makes sense in context!”, “He was named after a real guy who died!”, etc, but this just made him laugh harder:

“No, man: her ex was called Rob. That’s why she has a rabbit called Robbit.”

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Very much this. David & David just went Full Hollywood to get the thing finished already. Ben Stiller could have done a far better job.

I enjoyed the Night Fight. Flawed though it was. Military blunders aside, the main problem was that when it came down to it, Frosty Jack got offed by a small girl with a small dagger. Hold up – he’s the walking embodiment of winter. It just felt weak. Maybe he should have been banished instead of completely re-dead-ed. I dunno. Would have left him open to return next winter or something.

Dany Does Kings Landing, meh. Shark, jumped.

Look! Exploding buildings! (shhh – they’ll never notice the wonky plot and sudden character changes)

And this week, Melty throne, Jesus wept, how hot is this dragon supposed to get, first off it just lights things up, by the time we’ve reached S8 people and ghosties and ghoulies are thrown up in the air as soon as it gets near, as for the exploding city, get real, and this episode, five seconds of torching and this big old solid lump of steel has turned into hot flowing red goop?

Jon Snow / Dany arc was itself concluded quite well. Tyrion’s ending works for me. Yes, the scenes where he is convincing Jon felt like they were on form, with the intrigue to the front.

Almost everything else didn’t work. Hey up lads, we’ve rounded up a few minor lords. Look, here’s that chap who didn’t do much, a knight, some guy whose chief involvement was being captured, some guy from somewhere else that we haven’t met before, and a couple of other bit part characters.

King Bran the Not Very Much There? Get out of town.

jam-bo

Frosty Jack got offed by a small girl with a small dagger

obviously only men with big swords can be heroes…

five seconds of torching and this big old solid lump of steel has turned into hot flowing red goop?

made by a dragon, destroyed by a dragon?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

obviously only men with big swords can be heroes…

If you say so. Throughout the series she has been referred to as ‘a girl’. But, you know. Let’s ignore that.

My point was more that she is mere human with pointy stick. Whereas he is a supernatural force as old as time, etc.

You want to read sexism into it, knock yourself out.

Drac

My point was more that she is mere human with pointy stick. Whereas he is a supernatural force as old as time, etc.

Killed by the only weapon that could kill him, not a pointy stick.

colp

Maybe they didn’t want it to dragon too much?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I think Bran was a good choice

The whole point of it being Bran is that it needed to be someone who didn’t want it.

He doesn’t really want anymore.

The entire story has been about the corruption and ultimate destruction of those who desire power.

All the main players left standing at the end are the ones who had no expectation of ruling but had power thrust upon them against their will.

Except Bronn. The greedy bastard.

mashr

And this week, Melty throne, Jesus wept, how hot is this dragon supposed to get

made by a dragon, destroyed by a dragon?

Seems sensible

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

All the main players left standing at the end are the ones who had no expectation of ruling but had power thrust upon them against their will

Mostly. Apart from some of them lords that turned up at the end, from places where they were still the people who expected to be ruling. Oh, and Sansa, I think she has expected to be ruling somewhere or other since S1 Ep1.

Killed by the only weapon that could kill him, not a pointy stick.

Don’t you go bringing reason and logic to this thread now!

Yeah alright. It was the only pointy stick blah de blah blah blah.

Didn’t every living person had a zombie killing pointy stick by that episode?

IHN

Don’t get me wrong, I think that this series and the one before have been a bit rubbish, and a real let down after the excellence of the previous six. However, I do find it funny that, of all the issues with them; pacing, dialogue, story arc etc etc, people are questioning the veracity of a dragon being able to generate sufficient heat to overcome the melting point of iron (well, steel).

perchypanther
    Free Member

Mostly. Apart from some of them lords that turned up at the end, from places where they were still the people who expected to be ruling.

Not main players though were they?

But ok let’s go through it…

Samwell Tarly – Explicitly  denied the chance to rule anything by his family and the Citadel. Ends up Grand Maester

Edmure Tully – The most useless leader in te Seven KingdomsTold to sit down and shut up for comedy value as he ain’t really ruling anything

Yara Greyjoy – No expectation of ever ruling except for the briefest of moments when Theons cock arrived in a box. Swiftly disabused of the the notion at the Kingsmoot

Arya – Never wanted to be “a lady in a castle” Had tremendous power thrust upon her by the Faceless men. Doesn’t wish to use it anymore

Unknown Prince of Dorne – Only there because his entire family killed each other.

etc. etc.

Oh, and Sansa, I think she has expected to be ruling somewhere or other since S1 Ep1.

Have you watched the show? Sansa spent 6 entire seasons just wanting to wear pretty dresses and eat lemon cakes whilst being used and abused by everyone around her.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

of all the issues with them; pacing, dialogue, story arc etc etc, people are questioning the veracity of a dragon being able to generate sufficient heat to overcome the melting point of iron (well, steel)

“as well as” not “of all”

we could do pacing, dialogue and story arc again, if you like? ultimately, we’re just talking about a tv series. I guess I’m in minority about the dragon ex machina, c’est la vie.

binners

Do we know how everyone in the north managed to survive the white walkers? Or why they bothered to go to all the trouble to reconstruct the wall if theres no white walkers left?

jam-bo

the wall only fell at eastwatch?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Do we know how everyone in the north managed to survive the white walkers? Or why they bothered to go to all the trouble to reconstruct the wall if theres no white walkers left?

Survivors of Winterfell innit. all the wildlings came south.

They haven’t reconstructed the wall yet. The hole in the wall is at Eastwatch by the Sea.

The gate they went through is at Castle Black.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Have you watched the show?

My main purpose on this thread is to derail any sensible discussion about plot arcs and get sidetracked with the physics of magic 🙂

Your point about corruption and destruction exactly applies to her, no? She wanted to rule, it has got her, as you said, used and abused by all around. Only difference to most other main (ex) players is she came out the other side, stronger rather than corrupted, with a throne. Along the way, she learnt to play the game the normal way, and at the end, she’s a winner of that game, played the conventional way. She’s the new Queen in the North, ultimately perhaps not dissimilar in nature to her father.

binners

Aaaah…. thanks PP.

I was musing on this while Mrs Binners was just chuffed to see Tormund again. She’s got a bit of a thing about him. Which I think is a bit bloody unfair as I’m expressly forbidden from growing any facial hair. Its just, like SOOOOOO not fair

perchypanther
    Free Member

She wanted to rule

No she didn’t. Not for most of the show.

not dissimilar in nature to her father.

Who also had his unwanted power thrust upon him unexpectedly when his older brother and father were burned alive by the Mad King.

Eddard Stark could have taken the Iron Throne but didn’t

razorrazoo

I seem to recall it was only the part of the wall at Blackwatch, rather than Castle Black, that was felled by the dragon. There are castles all along the wall, IIRC Blackwatch is the one on the east cost end, so the majority of the wall still stands.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Not a follower of GoT myself, but I liked THIS (LINK) take from someone at Scientific American on the reason why the last 2 seasons were different.

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 699 total)

The topic ‘Game of Thrones – Of course it has Spoilers’ is closed to new replies.