Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 699 total)
  • Game of Thrones – Of course it has Spoilers
  • IHN

But why is there still a Nights Watch when everyone’s now all BFFs with the Freefolk, and there ain’t no more problem with the Deadfolk?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

As a non watcher who had had to listen to a lot of talk about this series over the years, isn’t pert of the problem that the books gave out part way through season 6 so the show’s writers got to do their thing rather than try to interpret a well scripted story arc from the originator.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Yara Greyjoy – No expectation of ever ruling

She was pretty much about expecting to run the Iron Islands from the word go, her brother was useless to begin with and she was already running tings around them parts. What’s happened at the end? Now that Captain Jack Sparrow is out the way, she’s running the Iron Islands.

Tully is the comedy low IQ inbred rich boy in armour, but he expects to be the boss of Lands Tully by dint of birthright.

Who also had his unwanted power thrust upon him unexpectedly when his older brother and father were burned alive by the Mad King.

Just for clarity here, are only the eldest male heirs allowed in the category of “expects to rule”?

Rather than, say, “any member of local royalty” who arrives in the hot seat by whatever means, and whomever’s hand? Anyone born into a royal family has to expect that an accession is possible, even if not by their design; being part of a ruling family usually confer a positions of power of some sort, if not the local top job. Average patriarchal society* any daughters could expect marriage to another royalty, sons would get offical roles, both a position in line, etc.

* by and large GoT-land

perchypanther
    Free Member

But why is there still a Nights Watch when everyone’s now all BFFs with the Freefolk, and there ain’t no more problem with the Deadfolk?

Because the Kingdom still needs somewhere to send it’s disgraced noblemen, unwanted bastards and rapists.

Tyrion said exactly that.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The John Hughes style ending is what it really needed – rounds it off nicely. (needs sound)

IHN

Because the Kingdom still needs somewhere to send it’s disgraced noblemen, unwanted bastards and rapists.
    Tyrion said exactly that.

Well yeah, I get/got that, but what are they going to do all day?

Drac

Post on STW.

binners

Be bastards and rape each other?

onehundredthidiot

It’s not even original. Wee lassie kills undead evil.

Tolkien did it with the Nazgûl. Éowyn simply stabs the Witch King of Angmar in the face with her sword and he ceases to be. Can’t be killed by a living man eh? ‘Av it.

hols2
    Free Member

Greyworm: Here is the traitor. Let’s cut his head off.
    Tyrion: Just a minute. Umm, you don’t have a King or Queen anymore so how about that weird stoner dude in the wheelchair, it would make a great story to tell everyone down the pub.
    Everyone: Yeah, totally dude. What could possibly go wrong with that?
    Bran: Thanks Tyrion, I won’t cut your head off if you’ll be my bud.
    Tyrion: Well, okay, if you put it like that.
    Greyworm: Damn you white people, I’m outta here.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Yup, that’s how Bran rolls.

FuzzyWuzzy

Not a follower of GoT myself, but I liked THIS (LINK) take from someone at Scientific American on the reason why the last 2 seasons were different.

That link is a good read and makes a lot of sense IMO

oikeith

That link is a good read and makes a lot of sense IMO

I thought that link was just one of the twitter rants but they’ve thrown more words at it and found a thesaurus…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Yes.

We’re saying they went Full Hollywood, but that article does explain what The Full Hollywood really is, in detail.

It’s been summed up here a number of times, on this thread and probably on the S7 thread, that the difference was seeing what characters would do in the situations the story found them in, rather than pre-rolling a few heroic (and villainous) arcs – and then fitting the situations / actions / fights / etc around that.

Garry_Lager

The whole point of it being Bran is that it needed to be someone who didn’t want it.

He doesn’t really want anymore.

The entire story has been about the corruption and ultimate destruction of those who desire power.

Bran being the eventual king was in the post from chapter one of the first book – The alpha and the omega. I don’t know how well the tv show did with his character, I’ve only watched isolated episodes – plenty of people sound surprised so perhaps it didn’t work too well. But it will have matched GRRM’s vision for the story’s conclusion.

mahalo

ive enjoyed and defended this series over the past 6 weeks but im mortally wounded by the finale’ – it was absolutely bobbins.

As if Greyworm has enough clout to dictate what becomes of our glorious protagonist, the targareon king, one true heir, winner of a shit ton of tear-ups. sansa or bran should be like, eff off greywank, bend the knee or ill stick your head on a spike next to your mrs! besides, he slung it back to naath before jon got on his horse anyway so he’d never have known!

it was just stupid… oh, jamies brasshand sticking out of the rubble too! GTF…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Yeah, but, he had the Unsullied behind him.

You know. The same force that got decimated at the Night Fight yet seemed right back being large and in charge by the time of Dany’s Nuremberg Rally. Curiously quick regeneration, for an army with no reproductive faculties…

martinhutch

And apparently the Dothraki didn’t just get massacred at the start of the big fight, judging by the numbers on display. They must’ve just seen the opposition and decided to head for the pub to wait out the action.

tthew

There didn’t seem to be nearly as many Dothraki or Unsullied as there used to be standing in that square. We’re thousands of them in previous series.

sockpuppet

Yup, that’s how Bran rolls.

What you did: I see it.

theotherjonv

a small girl with a small dagger

f’off.  Arya is nails and could have you any time. Blindfolded.

Drac

There didn’t seem to be nearly as many Dothraki or Unsullied as there used to be standing in that square. We’re thousands of them in previous series.

I wonder what could the reason be it’s not there’s been any battles.

tthew

I was replying to mrmonkfinger a couple of posts before mine. 😁

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

A Man with No Name is disappointed that he had no  part at the end.  But he is content that you are reading this in his accent.

😁

martinhutch

There didn’t seem to be nearly as many Dothraki or Unsullied

I’m not seeing a vast difference…alright, maybe a bit smaller…

bigrich

how come the dagger that arya had was well good at stabbing, but it didnt cut her mums fingers off when she grabbed it?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Because stabbing and cutting arent the same thing?

Ever cut yourself with a needle or stabbed yourself with a sheet of A4 paper?

oikeith

We’re saying they went Full Hollywood, but that article does explain what The Full Hollywood really is, in detail.

I stopped reading the article after the first handful of paragraphs, they read like a twitter rant calling the writers bad and then going on to question the dragons strength and power, brienne of tarth’s role and then Bran. It just reads like one big whinge instead of a balanced explanation of why some people dont like the final season and some people do.

I’m in the latter camp, but then I haven’t waited 8 years for this to end, I only watched all the series in the last year (twice), I wonder if there is a correlation between those who find the ending acceptable and those that dont and when they watched the preceding series?

seosamh77
    Free Member

A Man with No Name is disappointed that he had no part at the end. But he is content that you are reading this in his accent.

😆

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

f’off. Arya is nails and could have you any time. Blindfolded.

With one arm tied behind her back, hopping, wielding only a viciously sharp slice of melon, probably. And don’t forget she killed a T1000 in series 6, too.

She’s still small though. And so was the knife.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m not seeing a vast difference…

Did you look at the pictures you posted or are you Trumps inauguration counter?

Drac

martinhutch

Dothraki, Covfefe, Whatever. 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

It was all a bit “Return Of The King” for me. Predictable but dramatic peak after “Triumph Of The Will” at about 20 minutes then a load of waffling with far too much time to ponder things like why the clearly rather cross/unhinged Grey Worm kept Tyrion and Jon alive for weeks even though he was convinced they should be executed.
    That Iron Throne was ALL **** up though. Not going to polish out IMO.

zilog6128

Watched the last 2 episodes back-to-back last night as I was away on hols last week. Personally I thought they were great & I was satisfied with the conclusion! Yeah, I’d have preferred it if the entire last season wasn’t so rushed, the NK’s demise was a bit anti-climatic, and EVERYTHING to do with Euron was just garbage – but judging the final 2 eps on their own I thought they were good, probably as good as they could’ve been. Obviously they hamstrung themselves by trying to wrap everything up in a mere 6 episodes, but bringing all that lot to a satisfactory conclusion must’ve been the second hardest job in the world after sorting out Brexit so I think they did OK!

Someone mentioned earlier that they thought Sansa didn’t get much out of the deal… I think she was the only person in the whole show who ended up with absolutely everything they wanted! Queen of an independent North. Definitely the character who’s evolved the most & she was (rightly!) looking super-smug at the end.

I stopped reading the article after the first handful of paragraphs, they read like a twitter rant

Yup. It’s obvious that the storytelling style had to change towards the end – by that point it’s established who the main characters are; clearly their storylines need to reach some kind of conclusion.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

I actually quite liked the plot of the ending, but it was so rushed. Last episode was back up as good as the earlier episodes this season, episodes 4&5 let it down most IMO.

Ending was rather LOTR like – down at the dock, meeting the ships.

There is a story arc for Bran, covering the “it’s why I’ve come so far” that got missed. There’s Dany’s descent into madness, the whole everyone going to Kings Landing with armies and stuff. Jon killed Dany, oh look a big gathering was a bit of a jump.

If they had taken episodes 4-6 and made twice as many to keep the epicness from earlier seasons, it would have been much much better.

Now we just need GRRM to finish the two books so we can see all the backstory that is missing. I won’t hold my breath…

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Favourite meme so far is on Robyn Arryn. Getting on quite well, since his anti-vax mom got thrown through the moon door.

hols2
    Free Member

Yup. It’s obvious that the storytelling style had to change towards the end

The only reason it had to change is that they ran out of GRRM’s books to adapt and had to start writing original scripts, which they suck at. The general arc of the story is ok with me (Dany slips into tyrrany, Cersei loses her shit, Jaime, Jon Snow, and all the others realize too late that they’re following tyrants to destruction). Problem is, it was so badly executed. They should have devoted a 10 episode season 7 to building an alliance to defeat the White Walkers and Cersei’s betrayal, with the Night King killed in the season finale. Then a 10 episode season 8 devoted to regrouping and preparing to defeat Cersei, with both Dany and Cersei becoming isolated and more and more tyrranical, with the big battle mid-season followed by Dany totally losing her shit and destroying King’s Landing. Then several episodes devoted to organizing a rebellion and convincing Jon that he is the only person who can stop her. Then two or three episodes devoted to sorting out the aftermath of the assassination, especially negotiating a new leader who is acceptable to the Dothraki and Unsullied, and convincing Sansa to accept a federation instead of just declaring independence. Honestly, why would all the other leaders accept Bran as king if he can’t even convince his sister to follow him?

zilog6128

Sadly that was never going to happen. If the books go down that route I might actually bother to read them though!!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Shouldn’t laugh…

null

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 699 total)

The topic ‘Game of Thrones – Of course it has Spoilers’ is closed to new replies.