Viewing 19 posts - 681 through 699 (of 699 total)
  • Game of Thrones – Of course it has Spoilers
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

had to start writing original scripts, which they suck at.

Nailed it.

easily
    Free Member

@hols2
    I’m pretty happy with the way it was done, but your way does sound better.
    Could you get a couple of iPhones, a bunch of mates, nip over to Ireland and do your version please?

Coyote
    Free Member

After Tyrion’s “Bran has the most interesting story” speech my son argued that actually Arya’s story was better as Bran spent a good chunk of his sat in a wheel barrow.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FuzzyWuzzy

Sadly that was never going to happen

I want to know why though, surely it was still profitable for HBO so even if they had to make another season it would have made financial sense. I guess some of the actors had started to do other things and they might have had a problem contracting them for another year or two.

I just hope there was some half-decent reason other than the writers are just shite and that they actually thought they did a good job, GoT deserved more.

retro83
    Free Member

Coyote

After Tyrion’s “Bran has the most interesting story” speech my son argued that actually Arya’s story was better as Bran spent a good chunk of his sat in a wheel barrow.

What exactly is Bran’s story anyway? Far as I can tell, he got shoved out of a window, has visions, and does shit all of consequence after having them.
    Why did the NK even give a crap about killing him? Did he know he would be king? Or does he really have some power greater than taking over birds and flying around?

I feel like I missed a chunk of story somewhere because it just seems like he’s a useless nobody.

johnners
    Free Member

What exactly is Bran’s story anyway?

From what I gathered he is the repository of the stories of man, a sort race memory. We’re supposed to go “ah, I see!” at this point though for the life of me I don’t know what difference it makes to anyone since they don’t seem to matter and he never tells anyone anything anyway. It just boils down to a GRRM McGuffin for a lot of the preceding events.

johnx2
    Free Member

From what I gathered he is the repository of the stories of man, a sort race memory. We’re supposed to go “ah, I see!” at this point though for the life of me I don’t know what difference it makes to anyone since they don’t seem to matter and he never tells anyone anything anyway. It just boils down to a GRRM McGuffin for a lot of the preceding events.

You gathered exactly what you needed to gather…

johnners
    Free Member

Bran? Is that you?

zilog6128

What exactly is Bran’s story anyway? Far as I can tell, he got shoved out of a window, has visions, and does shit all of consequence after having them.

There was a great (IMO) fan theory floating about that Bran had caused various pivotal events in history by affecting the past with his visions/warging into people (as he’d done with Hodor) e.g. turning the mad king mad etc. There were even theories that Bran somehow was the NK, or had something to do with his creation. Maybe the NK didn’t want to kill him, but turn him into some kind of uber white walker? Either way, the writers of the show chose not to go down that route, which left the whole Bran/NK story arc feeling like a bit of an anticlimax! The whole “story repository” thing does indeed sound like some kind of quickly-invented bullshit used to tie up that storyline without taking it any further.

It’ll be interesting to see what GRRM comes up with (if he ever actually finishes writing the books!)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The only character to have a less relevant story than Bran was Ed Sheeran.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

…which left the whole Bran/NK story arc feeling like a bit of an anticlimax! The whole “story repository” thing does indeed sound like some kind of quickly-invented bullshit used to tie up that storyline without taking it any further.

It’ll be interesting to see what GRRM comes up with

Somewhere back up thread I posted a twitter link on plotters vs pantsers. theory being George was led by his characters and got himself in some holes. There were loads of bits of GoT that went nowhere – the prophesies for a start

Even in the last few episodes – Bran warged off into ravens during the battle, seemingly to no consequence, Varys had a girl in the kitchens who may have been poisoning or trying to poison Dany (not more mention). Varys notes going out about Jon being the true king. Were none sent?

grumpysculler
    Free Member

I think Bran does have an interesting story that wasn’t told. His character clearly was built for something and when it wasn’t a Night King storyline it had to be the Iron Throne.

I’m the three eyed raven goes to being bait for the Night King goes to Bran the broken wasn’t very well explained. But then in the books he has only just met the three eyed crow.

Also, Bran can’t change the past he can only observe it. I’m not sure how the Hodor thing will play out in the books, maybe a special case.

zilog6128

He clearly can change/affect the past as he did it on at least 2 occasions in the show. He just can’t change the way he’s changed it. Time travel paradox innit. 😃

Must admit I’d totally forgotten about the prophecy stuff. Maybe they were just red-herrings all along, to throw the fanboys off the scent. I must admit one of the best things about the show is that it always kept me guessing what was going to happen, right up until the end! Or did they just run out of time and couldn’t tie it all together properly?

And all that shit about the fire god.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I think Bran does have an interesting story that wasn’t told

Say what now? I must have slept through that season. Probably like Bran did.

AlexSimon

Regarding why end it so soon – it was the showrunners DB Weiss and David Benioff. They didn’t want it to carry on despite HBO wanting more. I don’t know what their reasons were, but they were always in charge of when it ended.

But clearly they did well out of it because they’ve got some interesting projects lined up including Star Wars.

Andy

Not something I have watched before, c4 Gogglebox on the last episode was superb. “Thats not the sword she was expecting” 😂

nickc

I think a lot of the disappointment is caused by the fact that while the TV show was behind the books, we all knew the back stories of the characters, we could read their thoughts, get insights of their motives through back story, something you can’t readily do with just the filmed version.

For instance: Many folk are claiming that Ayra’s kill of the Night King is a Deus Ex machina, but what we can’t know is the effect that the relationship of Bran and Ayra, one an all seeing demi-god and warg, and the other a master swordswoman…and also warg has when they combine to distract and kill.

andybrad

Isn’t brans story that hes manipulated everyone to become king?

colournoise

andybrad
    Subscriber
    Isn’t brans story that hes manipulated everyone to become king?

That was my reading of it too. Same storyline as Dr Strange in the Marvel stuff. Knew what was going to happen and as that’s fixed, just then had to make sure it did.

Think that they were both also given the “you were where you needed to be” line to alude to this.

Viewing 19 posts - 681 through 699 (of 699 total)

The topic ‘Game of Thrones – Of course it has Spoilers’ is closed to new replies.