Home Forums Bike Forum Full outer cable on new style Shimano GRX front mech?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Full outer cable on new style Shimano GRX front mech?
  • 13thfloormonk

I swear the new Shimano front mechs are the best reason I have for going electric!

The road 105 and Ultegra are pretty much trouble free to be honest, light snappy shifting and functioning trim.

The GRX front mech has always been a bit heavy at the best of times and the trim is always pretty vague. I crashed recently on the left shifter and now it’s even heavier shifting so I’m going to take it all apart, inspect and recable.

Just wondering if it’s worth re-cabling with a full length outer, will keep the muck out but the outer itself will introduce friction.

Anyone done one or the other and care to comment?

Ta

sillyoldman

No harm. It’s got an integrated stop.

i find the current style much easier than the long arm style mechs to set up, as long as you follow the less than intuitive instructions.

Maybe the heaviness is up at the shifter at the tight bend towards the bar?

fossy

SP41 optislick. Great.

13thfloormonk

Current cabling is reasonably fresh SP41 with the blue tinted inner cable (i.e. not polymer coated).

The bars are Lauf Smoothie which do actually have quite a tight knuckle on them, could be forcing a tighter bend in the outer.

I guess also with a full length outer I can allow a less tight bend at the BB.

Tomorrow night’s job then!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.