Home Forums News Fresh Goods Friday 723: The Big Strapping Edition

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fresh Goods Friday 723: The Big Strapping Edition
  • Ben_Haworth

We are a relatively broad church here at Singletrack World and this week’s Fresh Goods Friday is testament to such. Droppers ‘N’ strappers. Video ‘N’ …

By ben_haworth

Get the full story here:

Fresh Goods Friday 723: The Big Strapping Edition

BruceWee

So £700+ is just what we pay for dropper posts these days?

Anyone know if I can still by a Gravity Dropper with the big knob you have to reach between your legs to grab hold of?  That’s all I need.

Hang on, that came out wrong…

kimbers

for £730 Id want that dropper to gently caress my perineum at all times

rockandrollmark

A dropper post, or this moderately fun looking hardtail?

I get that one’s at the top end of dropper post technology, and that the other’s at the bottom end of what constitutes as a useable mountain bike, but £730 is a bit bonkers. IIRC the first Reverb droppers (back when if you wanted to drop your seat post you had to stop and loosen your seat collar) was only $300

nickc

Ooh, does that mean hot-tips are back in stock then?

faustus

You managed to talk about the fixplus straps without once mentioning ‘Voile’, ‘copy’, or ‘bandwagon’, nice going!

kimbers

IIRC the first Reverb droppers (back when if you wanted to drop your seat post you had to stop and loosen your seat collar) was only $300

gravity droppers came out in 2003, I think I got one around 2008 and it was £200

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/seatposts/seatpost-and-seat-pin/gravity-dropper-turbo-seatpost-review

desperatebicycle

This is where a Big P-Nut can really save the day, as they’re big and offer a decent amount of finger purchase.

And are worth about 99p. I’ll continue to carry some small pliers ta!

dc1988

Super glue is the answer to sorting cable ends. No frayed ends and no need to cut anything off the cable.

And the big P nuts are a good idea, I once had a locknut that wouldn’t even come off with pliers so I had to chop the whole thing out. Having said that, if something is seized then the whole valve is likely to turn before the nut loosens.

onetimeews

P nut/P lugger combination tool? All in one tubeless repair solution

shouldn’t be too much of a stretch.

If it isn’t already available I’m happy to take a small commission

Tom83

kimbers

for £730 Id want that dropper to gently caress my perineum at all times

Even when off the bike?

wheelsonfire1

The P nuts have a chamfered recess on the underside that enables the tubeless valve to pull through and seat against the o ring. It’s quite a neat design which apart from enabling trailside repairs facilitates the quick checking of valve security before going for a ride. Also, rims don’t get scratched from the use of pliers!

tomhoward

So £700+ is just what we pay for dropper posts these days?

No. Some cost that. Most don’t.

alanclarke

I needed bottle cage boss relocators to fit a frame bag + bottles on a gravel/tourer and have to say that the generic ebay ones look to be a better design than the passport ones here – basically using low profile bolt heads on the frame connection halves the depth of the aluminium bar, which helps if the reason for using is lack of front triangle space. The ones I got were excellent quality and of course a lot cheaper.

Northwind

You can get cheap presta valve lockrings with similiar shapes, not quite as big as the p-nut I think but they’re usefully easier to tighten and remvoe than a standard one.

Mine came with a teeny tiny anodised wrench to tighten them up, which I thought was adorable but of course I lost it 2 seconds later.

oldfart

Those Sleeper grips look comfy but would I be right in guessing they wear out really quickly?

doomanic

Even when off the bike?

Especially when off the bike…

Rivett
    Free Member

Those Gusset grips look very similar to ODI Longnecks,,,?

Ben_Haworth

They do indeed. Different feeling rubber though IME.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.