Home Forums Bike Forum French alps – where to base….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • French alps – where to base….
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Due to training conflicts with my partners racing i cant go to california as planned :(

Going to france instead – taking ferry from newcastle to amsterdam

If you were taking a van with road bikes and xc mtbs for 3 weeks where would you choose to park the tent ?

Also i mentioned this to a guy i met at a party a few weeks back and he was telling me about some mega road ride possibly called the cockerel/rooster/chicken ride that took in alot of the big cols. – cant find any info on the internet other than the chicken run by white room :)

Basically i want to ride as many of the famous climbs as i can and do some mtb while im there.

Also , anyone used secure carparking at lyon airport would you consider leaving the van parked up with bikes inside ? Thinking we might fly up to paris to see the champs elysse tdf finish while we are there.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Briancon

ianv
    Free Member

Briancon would be good for the road (or Vanosc/Bourg d’oisans) but XC might be a bit limited. Having said that, there are a few waymarked trails going out from Briancon towards Montgenevre.

Pyranees might give more scope for a Xc and road combo, somewhere close to Luchon or Lourdes (tourmelet etc).

Thinking we might fly up to paris to see the champs elysse tdf finish while we are there.

I was at a finish years ago when my sister lived in Paris, it was an occasion but I wouldn’t break up a trip to the alps to do it again. Really busy, difficult to see anything and not very interesting to watch. If it was me, I would miss out on the logistical hassle and watch it on the tele.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘French alps – where to base….’ is closed to new replies.