Home Forums Chat Forum Formula 1 2024 – WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 2,875 total)
  • Formula 1 2024 – WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS
  • thols2

In fact, they tightened things up almost exactly a year ago – so mid season and one team possibly had to redesign components to comply. If they think someone’s being clever, they don’t have to wait until next year to clamp down on it.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/everything-you-need-to-know-about-f1s-wing-rules-clampdown/

ads678

They really are bunch of moaning bar stewards aren’t they. The shit that RB have got away with over recent years, how they have to gaul topo moan about other I do not know

Twodogs
    thols2

All the teams are the same. They will all push into the grey areas of the rules as hard as they can and protest if others do it.

thols2

Ok, so the FIA have said the wings are legal, but they will keep monitoring things.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/articles/c3w6y694406o

ads678

All the teams are the same

Oh yeah, I meant all of them. Just some are louder than others.

Good that they’re legal though, just hope McLaren do start fighting each other and Lando can properly challenge for the title. Think he needs to up his game though.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

FIA sets rules to try and achieve something such as no moving aero.
    All teams try to design their cars to stay within the rules but still achieve the desired effect.

If MOST teams find a similar way to ‘bend’ the rules then the FIA change the rules at the end of the season.
    If ONE team finds a really clever way to bend the rules and the rest can’t copy it quickly, or it is considered to have bent the rules too far, it will be ‘clarified’ mid-season.

There are lots of examples of both situations in the past – X Wing aero, McLaren brakes, blown diffusers, fan car etc

shermer75
    Free Member

It looks like McLaren might finally be amenable to using team orders, with the delay being down to Andrea Stella simply not considering that the Driver’s WC is feasible

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/articles/cgl2dl536nzo

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Red bull know all about flexible front wings don’t they

Twodogs

Autosport is reporting that Newey’s signing for Aston is about to be confirmed.

vlad_the_invader

Re: Newey

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/articles/cy54vnn70veo

May or may not be premature but we won’t know until Sept 10th …

shermer75
    Free Member

I suspect that his role may be more than just designer, possibly not team principle but definitely as more of a big picture guy, in a vaguely similar way to Niki Lauda at Mercedes perhaps

thols2

Have we done the Charles Leclerc crashing at Monaco video?

@cameroncamasi

Chuck crashing his 400k dollar Purosangue at farimont hairpin #f1 #ferrari ? @Angelina Orlando

♬ original sound – F1 Best

windyg
    Free Member

Oliver Bearman getting an early debut in the HAAS while  Magnussen serves his ban.

vlad_the_invader

How did we miss Newey being confirmed at AM (@ £30m per year!)?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/czrxgll23w9o

jimster01

Won’t be confirmed until Tuesday, Andrew Benson has a source at Aston Martin, or should that be had. Can see Eddie Jordan having something to say about the “exclusive”.

multi21
    Free Member

Newey confirmed at aston

the-muffin-man

They just need some good drivers now.

thols2

Yes, what’s the odds of Verstappen choosing to follow him if Red Bull can’t give him a better car next year?

the-muffin-man

I agree…

• There’s no point building a car around Alonso – at best he’s got a season or two left.

• There’s no point building a car around Stroll – because it will be a waste of Newey’s brain.

Max is the only top-line driver potentially on the market and Newey knows what works for him.

Bez

I have to say this move leaves me totally cold.

Ferrari would have been exciting because there’d be a great story around Hamilton looking for an eighth title in red. Williams would have been glorious, paradoxically both an underdog story and the return of a titanic force.

But Aston just has the dank whiff of a wheelbarrow full of cash. They already had the facilities and the technical leaders to reach the top; there’s an underlying niggling sense that any “Managing Technical Partner” would need to do little more than not upset the already bountiful applecart—whereas at Williams there would be little doubt about where those apples grew from. It feels like Newey’s gone for the money and Stroll’s invested in making sure no-one else has him as much as in actually having him. Neither of which are wrong or unexpected in any way, but it feels like there’s no more depth to it than that. If you were writing the script for “Newey: The Movie” this wouldn’t be where it would go.

Fair play to them both, but meh.

thols2

I wonder how much input (both in advocacy for Newey and money) Honda had. After the McLaren debacle, they will be well aware that Newey and Verstappen were both key to their success. Honda must have had concerns over AM turning into a replay of the McLaren experience, but having Newey there should be some reassurance for them.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It will be interesting to see how Stroll and the AM story unfolds and compare it to Audi and the poor performing team they are buying and throwing money at. Who invests, plans and strategizes best in the coming years.

AM have the head start and are led by a strong individual.
    Audi have an almost blanks sheet to start from but are led by a committee with the board of VW Group to answer to.

thepurist

They just need some good drivers now.

That’s probably a lot easier to achieve now Newey is confirmed.  But both Alonso and Stroll are allegedly under contract to the end of 26 so there’s plenty of time to see how they perform/who they can attract.

the-muffin-man

It will be interesting to see how Stroll and the AM story unfolds 

I think AM will be a lot more successful.

Audi/Porsche entry has been a shit-show from day 1. Why would VW even entertain two competing makes under their wing – shows the level of senior management that makes Alpines management look sage-like!

thols2

Audi are also stuck with the legacy of Sauber being based in Switzerland, which just makes building infrastructure and hiring staff more difficult and expensive.

Chew
    Free Member

I’d say that Aston will win a race before Audi do.

Very interesting inverview with Newey

Sounds like he didnt want to go to another top team or disrupt his family life so Ferrari was never going to be option.

Aston was the option where Newey feels the resources are there to turn the team into Championship contention in the next 5 years, and allows him to withdrawn into a consultancy role to work on special projects once he has finished with F1 (like Gordon Murray)

Bez

Also it seems that Stroll has given him what Frank and Patrick refused to: some ownership of the team.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Why would VW even entertain two competing makes under their wing

It worked in LMP1

andrewh
    Free Member

It worked in LMP1

Twodogs

I agree with Baz….definitely not a fairy tale ending.

andrewh
    Free Member

In terms of qualifying times, in 2024 up to Canada, the gaps between the teammates are

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpreview.redd.it%2Fqualifying-gap-between-teammates-for-the-f1-2024-season-v0-9m59b3vwcj6d1.jpeg%3Fauto%3Dwebp%26s%3D7840ecf585c95edbbb5f8188100475835d6df01f

Stroll has done ok compared to Alonso on that, and he’s a decent benchmark. As someone said above he’s never going to be a world champion, but I don’t think he’s as bad as people make out, yes he’s a ‘pay-driver’ but that doesn’t automatically equal terrible, he’s a reasonable midfield runner.

andrewh
    Free Member

Maybe I meant to write that in the Newey thread, reading two at once is getting confusing

chrismac

It will be interesting to see who Stroll gets as his new team leader and more to the point if newey comes up with a car the team leader can win in and stroll can’t

From a tatical perspective this could work well. Top driver wins the WDC so all the pr and publicity the sponsors want. A poor second driver means you’re not at the pointy end of the WCC so don’t get budget cfd or aero time deducted. It might be a nice sweet spot to sit in

Bez

A poor second driver means…

…that I fell off my chair when you posted something that wasn’t about Russell being a poor second driver.

thepurist

something that wasn’t about Russell

Just wait for his prediction of the AM ’27 drivers – Max #1, GR #2 ::)

chrismac

that I fell off my chair when you posted something that wasn’t about Russell being a poor second driver.

Dont take the bait…. Don’t take the bait……

multi21
    Free Member

andrewhFree Member
    In terms of qualifying times, in 2024 up to Canada, the gaps between the teammates are

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpreview.redd.it%2Fqualifying-gap-between-teammates-for-the-f1-2024-season-v0-9m59b3vwcj6d1.jpeg%3Fauto%3Dwebp%26s%3D7840ecf585c95edbbb5f8188100475835d6df01f

Stroll has done ok compared to Alonso on that, and he’s a decent benchmark. As someone said above he’s never going to be a world champion, but I don’t think he’s as bad as people make out, yes he’s a ‘pay-driver’ but that doesn’t automatically equal terrible, he’s a reasonable midfield runner.

It’s nothing to do with his pace, although that is also average at best. It’s his piss poor situational awareness.

Twodogs

Can someone explain hown Aston Martin (Stroll Snr) can apparently invest hundreds of millions of dollars into new facilities (including a new wind tunnel) without breaching cost cap rules?

I seem to remember reading recently that Williams were wanting to  update some their factory facilities and had to ask the other teams to give them special dispensation to do so.

simondbarnes

Can someone explain hown Aston Martin (Stroll Snr) can apparently invest hundreds of millions of dollars into new facilities (including a new wind tunnel) without breaching cost cap rules?

They started spending big a couple of years before the cost cap came in. Windtunnels are also excluded from the CapEx cost cap.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 2,875 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.