Home Forums Chat Forum Formula 1 2024 – WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

Viewing 40 posts - 2,401 through 2,440 (of 2,875 total)
  • Formula 1 2024 – WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS
  • chrismac

Surprised to see Kimi take Woody’s car and not Lewis’s though.

Not really. Why wouldn’t he take the second drivers car rather than the team leaders?

thols2

“Surprised to see Kimi take Woody’s car and not Lewis’s though.”

I think that had been scheduled some time ago, his next outing will be in Lewis’s car.

Exactly.

multi21
    Free Member

Antonelli confirmed at Merc. Don’t really get that given his F2 performance and the test but good to see some new blood at the front!

escrs
    Free Member

Antonelli confirmed at Merc. Don’t really get that given his F2 performance and the test but good to see some new blood at the front!

I appluad Merc for promoting within but its a big risk,  Antonelli didnt compete in F3, he hasnt even completed his first season in F2 yet, there’s a reason the big teams tend to farm out upcoming drivers to the teams in the lower field (Rebull- Cash app, Ferrari-Hass, Merc used to use-Williams) i wonder what will happen if he’s not upto the job half way through next season, will they let Mick in the car?

Williams seem to be cutting all ties with Merc as they can (bar using their engine) since James took over as team principal, also no longer taking paid drivers and concentrating on getting the best non paid drivers they can and developing within which hopefully will help them return to the top

I wonder how George feels about Antoelli being promoted straight into the Merc seat given how long it took George to get his Merc drive whilst at Williams, even when Bottas was underperforming in the Merc, Once George proved himself as a super sub for Hamilton Bottas seat was his, Antoelli hasnt done any of this and has been parachuted into the Merc for next year

chrismac

Clearly Toto knows george is a good number 2 driver. There are no top drivers available for next year so it’s not that much of a risk. Who else would be out in the car?

thols2

I know we shouldn’t read too much into practice sessions, but Colapinto seems to be right up on the pace. Shame to see old guys like Ricciardo, Perez, Bottas, etc. holding onto seats when there are younger drivers who deserve a chance.

jimster01

Just listened to the Chequered Flag podcast, there’s an interview with Toto in which he mentions the time they were talking to Verstappen in 2014, and they lost him because Red Bull had a seat available. I don’t think he wanted to make that mistake again.

thols2

That qualifying must be setting off fire alarms in Red Bull’s management. McLaren, Ferrari, and Merc in front with 0.2 seconds separating the top six, then Red Bull half a second behind. And that’s at a track where Red Bull expected to be right at the front. At that rate they’ll lose the constructor’s championship in the next few races and Max’s lead in the driver’s championship will evaporate. Losing Newey is one thing, but Max won’t stay around if he thinks there are better options elsewhere. My guess is that Piastri’s lawyers and McLaren’s lawyers will be charging triple-time working out how much it would cost to buy him out of his contract and put Max into a McLaren for next year.

shermer75
    Free Member

At that rate they’ll lose the constructor’s championship in the next few races

I’m fully expecting them to lose their lead by the end of tomorrow, and to be third behind Ferrari a few races after that

thols2

I’m fully expecting them to lose their lead by the end of tomorrow, and to be third behind Ferrari a few races after that

Yes, I forgot that the constructor’s championship was so close, was thinking it was the same as the driver’s, at 7o points. It’s only 30 points so could be gone by tomorrow. But Perez did his job today so replacing drivers isn’t going to fix the problem. Can’t see Max staying around if the team can’t give him a competitive car.

the-muffin-man

Does anyone still believe Red Bull weren’t the ones running that braking device?

And Max had the door open at Mercedes – every other door is closed for a good while.

thols2

And Max had the door open at Mercedes – every other door is closed for a good while

There are always buyout clauses in contracts. If Verstappen wanted to go to Merc or McLaren, it would just come down to paying off Russell or Piastri to swap to Red Bull.

Chew
    Free Member

At that rate they’ll lose the constructor’s championship in the next few races

If they finish the race in grid order, then McLaren will be ahead in the constructors tomorrow.

It’ll also be interesting to see Max and Lewis next to each other on the grid tomorrow…

My guess is that Piastri’s lawyers and McLaren’s lawyers will be charging triple-time working out how much it would cost to buy him out of his contract and put Max into a McLaren for next year.

I’d say that Zack would rather win with the drivers he has than swap for Max.

In ’26 its all about who can develop the best engine.  Can RB Powertrains produce a competitive engine or do you go with Honda and Newey to Aston?

jimster01

Red Bull’s woes are the result of Newey leaving,  since handing his notice in, the development of the car has floundered, they’re running a mix of new and old floors to sort the problem out. Can’t see Verstappen being in a Red Bull after 2025, if not sooner.

thols2

I’d say that Zack would rather win with the drivers he has than swap for Max.

I’d say that Zak is a brutally pragmatic businessman who would swap Piastri for Verstappen in a second. Same goes for Toto and Russell. If Verstappen wanted to drive for those teams next year, they’d make it happen.

thepurist

Based on the last few McLaren starts I’d still put 50p on a Ferrari or Woody leading at the end of the first lap. McLaren did seem to have the race pace on Fri and the new surface might throw up some differences in strategy – could be a fun race.

Daffy

I’d say that Zak is a brutally pragmatic businessman who would swap Piastri for Verstappen in a second. Same goes for Toto and Russell. If Verstappen wanted to drive for those teams next year, they’d make it happen.

Maybe, but then there’s the Jos factor.  Do people really want to get involved with him given what he’s been like with Christian Horner?

shermer75
    Free Member

Red Bull’s woes are the result of Newey leaving,  since handing his notice in, the development of the car has floundered,

A couple of the pundits on Sky today were saying that Newey’s value extended far beyond just the car design, and that he had very valuable input in many of the other decisions at Red Bull, including strategy. Make of that what you will, but they definitely have taken a turn for the worse since he handed his notice in.

shermer75
    Free Member

Thinking about that , it will be interesting to see what role he has at Aston Martin, it may be more than just the designer

vlad_the_invader

Thinking about that , it will be interesting to see what role he has at Aston Martin, it may be more than just the designer

Did I miss something? Has he been confirmed at Aston Martin or is that just speculation?

Daffy

The cynic in me also wonders about the whole Horner/Verstappen thing.  Prior to this, there was speculation (especially in light of SP’s performance) that it was just how special MV was that RB were where they were.  Now we’re seeing that without the car, sure MV is still better than SP, but he’s certainly not THAT much better. The invincible MV has suddenly  just been rather openly wounded.

shermer75
    Free Member

Did I miss something? Has he been confirmed at Aston Martin or is that just speculation?

No official announcement, just a lot of F1 types saying it’s a very poorly kept secret at this point

thols2

Now we’re seeing that without the car, sure MV is still better than SP, but he’s certainly not THAT much better

Umm….

Screenshot 2024-09-01 113104

Daffy

I meant the last 4 races where MV has been notably vocal about the car and he and Perez have been closer.  It initially seemed that the 2024 RB was as good as the 23 car with both doing well, but as they started to develop the car, it seemed to suit MV more and Perez a lot less.  Now, from the onboards, it’s much more edgy and both are driving similar.  It’s qualifying which sets them apart.  Perez has always been 4-7/10ths down on MV and that margin is now sufficient to put him well into the midfield where SP can catch but not overtake.  MV qualifying higher holds position again, not making much inroads into the top 6 during a race unless he starts there.

thols2

It’s qualifying which sets them apart.  Perez has always been 4-7/10ths down on MV

Which is why any team manager in the field would sign Max at the drop of a hat. The tyres can’t handle more than a couple of laps at full pace so the race skill is managing tyre wear rather than outright speed.

Qualifying is where you see the drivers’ outright pace compared to their teammates and Max is supremely good at qualifying in a car that seems to be quite tricky to set up.

boomerlives
    Free Member

I’d say that Zak is a brutally pragmatic businessman who would swap Piastri for Verstappen in a second

Not on the face of this qualy. It looks like both Lando and Pastry are wringing everything from that car, Lando a bit more.

Pay £30million to improve a 1-2 to what?

thols2

Pay £30million to improve a 1-2 to what?

Sponsors would pay a lot to have a multiple world champion in the car. Piastri seems to be a very good driver but Verstappen is one of the all-time greats. Right now, McLaren have the best all-round car but there’s no guarantee that they will dominate next year so signing the best driver on the grid would be an easy decision if he wanted to join the team.

pondo

Verstappen is one of the all-time greats

Nah, he’s got a way to go to prove that.

shermer75
    Free Member

Verstappen is one of the all-time greats

Nah, he’s got a way to go to prove that

I think it’s fair to say that he’s one of the all time greats in the same way that Alonso is also thought of in the same way despite only having 2 world championships.

pondo

Alonso, yes – Max, not yet.

shermer75
    Free Member

Alonso, yes – Max, not yet.

Not sure why, Verstappen has shown himself to be every bit the driver Alonso ever has been, which is why he is widely considered to be one of the greats and talked about in the same terms as Schumacher, Hamilton and the rest

pondo

Same kind of reason that Schumacher’s legacy is tainted really – he’s been a raging success in a team that would never let the second driver beat him, and he’s used some questionable tactics. Bit like Vettel, maybe – sure, four times world champion but never replicated that success elsewhere. If he goes to a different team and keeps making his team mates look average, then fair enough.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Sponsors would pay a lot to have a multiple world champion in the car

But Zak would like to hang on to sponsor money, and not spaff it and more on a stroppy dutchman.

You could get 10 Piastris for Max money; which is more value when Lando is faster than both?

thols2

Same kind of reason that Schumacher’s legacy is tainted really – he’s been a raging success in a team that would never let the second driver beat him, and he’s used some questionable tactics.

Nelson Piquet was his teammate at Benneton, Schumacher trounced him. The reason he was given number 1 status at Benneton and then Ferrari was because he was faster than all his teammates. If Irvine or Barrichello had turned out to be faster then Schumacher, they would have earned number 1 status, but Schumacher was faster than them so they had to settle for number 2 status.

However, Schumacher often took things too far and his legacy will always be tainted by crashing into Hill and Villeneuve.

thepurist

Bit like Vettel, maybe

Seb is the classic example of a multiple WDC who, while obviously very good, doesn’t quite sit on the same pedestal as the true greats. Seb excelled at driving the blown diffuser cars but there was always a slight question over his wheel to wheel racing and ability to adapt when the car wasn’t quite right (awaits counter examples). But he’s probably still one of the few recent WDCs that’d be fun to hang out with.

pondo

Nelson Piquet was his teammate at Benneton, Schumacher trounced him.

39 year old Piquet outscored Schumacher in their races together at Benetton.

The reason he was given number 1 status at Benneton and then Ferrari was because he was faster than all his teammates. If Irvine or Barrichello had turned out to be faster then Schumacher, they would have earned number 1 status, but Schumacher was faster than them so they had to settle for number 2 status.

Oh, he was super-quick, no doubt, but neither Benetton and Ferrari would have allowed a team mate (who were picked to support and not challenge him) to beat him – Herbert recounts being quicker in a session than Schumacher and from then on he was denied access to Schumacher’s data. Contrast that with an Alonso or a Hamilton who don’t care who’s in the other car. TBF, I would guess Max isn’t that bothered who’s in the other car, but his team is, I think.

thols2

Contrast that with an Alonso or a Hamilton who don’t care who’s in the other car. TBF, I would guess Max isn’t that bothered who’s in the other car, but his team is, I think.

The falling out at McLaren was because Alonso believed that he should be given priority over a rookie. He joined the team expecting number 1 status.

Part of the reason Merc kept Bottas so long was because Hamilton wanted a teammate who didn’t upset him the way Rosberg did.

It’s widely believed that Red Bull didn’t want to take Sainz back because of friction between the Verstappen and Sainz camps at Torro Rosso.

All the drivers care who’s in the other car and will do whatever they can to get someone they want.

pondo

The falling out at McLaren was because Alonso believed that he should be given priority over a rookie. He joined the team expecting number 1 status.

Well – that, and his perception the team working more for rookie Hamilton than they did for reigning world champion  him. Didn’t McLaren protest Alonso at the Hungarian GP in 2007, or something?

Alonso’s had, I think, four world champions as team mates, Hamilton’s had three.

Kryton57

Christ, it’s a Red Bull whinge fest.   Team culture comes from the top I guess….

Chew
    Free Member

Another great race.

Charles pulls of the strategic gamble to win in front of the Tifosi. Must have been a great atmosphere at Monza.

Bold pass by Piastri on lap 1 and although its not great for Landos title aspirations, its good to see a team allowing their drivers to race.

RedBull continue to be on the backfoot (and i’m expecting that to remain the same for Baku & Singapore), so Max is going to have to grind out the results to hang onto this championship.

Also a solid race debut for Colapinto bringing it home in 12th.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,401 through 2,440 (of 2,875 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.