Home Forums Chat Forum Football 2024-25. Pep’s last season?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 364 total)
  • Football 2024-25. Pep’s last season?
    binners

Top of the league!*

Mrs Binners is a fiver down and not happy! :D

* for the only time this season

Caher

The Harry Maguire dive was the moment of the match.

binners

No real unexpected results yesterday. Ipswich looked good against Liverpool, first half. Arsenal looked good again too. Saka had an amazing game.

It’s going to be interesting to see what squad Chelsea put out later, given the 7 million players they have available. A nice easy game for the new players to bed in

Caher

Chelsea must be one of biggest employers in London now.

scuttler

Im on hols in Italy so swapped League One Huddersfield with my sons for some Serie A opener action between Hellas Verona and Napoli. Football was average but the atmosphere was epic due to a combination of enthusiasm and the stadium roof. Verona won 3-0 which puts them top! Plenty pyro, and beer on the terraces.

Ace evening and takes me right back to Sunday afternoons on Channel 4 – https://youtu.be/HXI-u37RAW0?feature=shared

binners

It’s great to have Jamie Vardy back in the Premier League! :D

Caher

Not much going on in the world of football or ex-footballers except the rather surprising return of Ilkay Gündoğan back to City.

binners

Apparently Chelsea have signed Jermaine Jenas

ElShalimo

Not much going on in the world of football or ex-footballers except the rather surprising return of Ilkay Gündoğan back to City.

He’s been an amazing player since his early days at Nuremberg, then Dortmund. He was one of the few good things at Barca last season. He’d be a great addition to any team.

MSP

Happy to have Gündoğan  back at city, top class intelligent player, a future manager as well IMO, well after we win another treble with Vinnie first.

Jolsa

Oh good, Gündoğan back at City. Just what they really needed for tomorrow.

The away end experience tomorrow hopefully can’t be any worse than the last time I was in Manchester to watch Town.

MoreCashThanDash

Oh good, Gündoğan back at City. Just what they really needed for tomorrow.

The away end experience tomorrow hopefully can’t be any worse than the last time I was in Manchester to watch Town.

The record breaking defeat? I’m hoping we don’t end the season with a new record for lowest Premier League points.

dander

Showed enough against Liverpool to show you can compete – sure there will be a few drubbings given quite an attacking style. It took Burnley too long last season to become a bit more pragmatic, McKenna seems pretty switched on.

binners

Recommended viewing: the Amazon documentary on Sven. He’s quite an amazing human being and seems almost bizarrely stoic in the face of his terminal cancer diagnosis. An amazing life.

Also responsible for one of the best chants ever when Shiniwatra was going to get rid of him…

We don’t need no Phil Scolari

We Don’t need no Mourhino

Oi! Taksin! Leave our Sven alone!

Caher

Has some rather Fonze-like characteristics in more ways than one.

binners

@Jolsa – I have a running joke/tradition with one of my Citeh supporting mates of betting on a 5-0 result whenever one of the newly promoted sides or those at the bottom of the table travel to the blue side of Manchester. It’s paid out quite a few times, particularly with Burnley.

I just had a look and the odds on that scoreline are 12/1. I hope it isn’t, as that’ll be a long journey home for you. You looked good in the first half against Liverpool

Anyway… we’ve got the early kick off to get our traditional loss to Brighton out of the way early in the season.

Arsenal Villa should be a cracking match later 

swdan
    Free Member

I too hope we don’t get slaughtered today but equally everyone has to play everyone and I view last week and this week as getting tow of the harder games out of the way early. It might be nice to have had a couple of games where we stood a chance of a result as a bit of a confidence booster but listening to the team talk they’re fairly pragmatic and I like to think McKenna will take those on the chin and learn from them anyway

MoreCashThanDash

I view last week and this week as getting tow of the harder games out of the way early

That was my view – if we go into the third game with even 1 point that would have been a huge bonus.

Struggling to convince myself there are three clubs who look likely to finish below us, but Everton might be one of them.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Fabulous result from Brighton today ! :D

I had them down for a 1:1 draw, so glad to be proven wrong in the 95th minute, presumably mrs binnners made some money ;)

MoreCashThanDash

Yes!

No!

Bugger!

Double bugger!

martinhutch

Poor old Ipswich

binners

It’s the hope that kills you

MoreCashThanDash

Looks like City might be about to take another record from United….

swdan
    Free Member

I won £6 with my £1 stake for Ipswich to score first so it’s not a complete loss

Caher

Depressingly normal service has been resumed, tonked by Deadpool.

shinton
    Free Member

Depressingly normal service has been resumed, tonked by Deadpool

Had to sell my ticket as mrs S has brought me into Liverpool for my birthday. Very happy with 7 points out of 9, especially with Mullin out through injury for all 3 games. Hopefully he’ll be back before Birmingham away.

edit – Mullin came on after 74 minutes

binners

What’s going on with Arsenal kit? Are they sponsored by Lynx Africa this season?

575DD4AE-A9BD-49DB-9966-8EE9FB38827A

sc-xc

Good start for the Albion, 2 away wins and a point at home against Leeds last week.

Jolsa

4-1 away to Man City no embarrassment. We got our (brief) party in the away end scoring the first!

I’d moan about not being given the pen, but all too typical and unsurprising.

Need a few of our signings to settle in, and I think we have a good chance of survival.

argee

Got to work VAR out a bit, Man City got a pretty soft penalty there, Savinho was down before the tip of the guys foot touched him and VAR were referring the ref, then up the other end the Man City player clatters the Ipswich player and it’s not brought back for VAR, nothing against City, they look like they’re starting up again, Haaland is on fire and they could still bring in other decent players to have an even better squad!

swdan
    Free Member

Yep, 4-1, not too disappointed with that, think I’m still in “happy to be here” mood. If that carriers on like that all season it might be a bit depressing but I’m hoping there’s some points in there somewhere

scratch
    Free Member

Not sure how much Ipswich paid for Music but when we had him at Forest it wasn’t a great loan, came with suitable pedigree from City though so expected a bit better for a champ team back then, was young though.

Def have one eye on Ipswich as I think Forest will have another season flirting with renovation, you’ve kept a good rep rather than take the our approach first year up akin to a kid in a sweetshop on the first day of school, we did need those players though, we’d not have stayed up without those signings. It’s such a step up though, and ever widening.

Think Southampton will be down there if they continue the possession experiment, they’ll just get held at arms length and picked apart at the higher level.

We need a striker, looking like Nketiah currently, think he’d link up well with some of our forward players, just hoping we have no further outgoings, although expect it’s Morillo’s last season before bigger things/Chelsea.

imnotverygood

No sign of MerescaBall being dull so far.  Looks to me like Chelsea are going to have to score a bundle because the defence is so leaky.

imnotverygood

Brentford’s away kit is a bit…… different ?

binners

We’ve got the first ludicrous VAR decision of the season with the disallowed Bournemouth goal. Bonkers!

Caher

Carragher described the first Liverpool goal as being Klopp like. Might make a good opening intro which Arne Slot might appreciate in the after match interview.

theotherjonv

why? Clearly went in off his arm, which is defined in the laws as the bit below the armpit. Put an elastic band or your hand around your arm and move it up to the bottom of your armpit, that’ll show you.

The mistake you are making is listening to pundits who don’t know WTF the laws are of the game they’re being paid large sums to comment about. Again. If you went with their ‘below a sleeve’ definition then you’d have a case, but it’s only in their heads where that is a law. Unless in their head everyone is wearing cap sleeved shirts.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12—fouls-and-misconduct

It is an offence if a player:

scores in the opponents’ goal:

directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental

By that definition, it isn’t even interpretation. It hit his arm and went in the goal, so was disallowed – simple as.

argee

Looked harsh, and the commentators were on about it being harsh, but the thing i think that made it more of a handball was the fact he had his arm around the defender, so if it hadn’t hit his arm, he wouldn’t have got it, if it had been one of the mistimed headers that hits him like that, you’d be thinking it should stand, but having his arm over the defender gave him an unfair advantage to get the ball with a part of his body he’s not allowed to use.

binners

The ref gave it and no players complained about a potential handball. I thought this season the idea was to keep VAR out of it as much as possible and go with the onfield decision?

They didn’t get VAR involved when Jolinton then clotheslined the keeper which was as clear a straight red as you’ll ever see

theotherjonv

VAR reviewed and decided it was not violent conduct. I think it looked worse than it was, a classic ‘seatbelt’ tackle from the other game, but if Schar was sent off last week I’m amazed that wasn’t as well.

The handball was a factual decision, not opinion, hence what the ref and other players thought is of no consequence.

Did it touch his arm below the armpit?

Did it go into the goal, or lead immediately to a goal?

Simple as.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 364 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.