Home Forums Chat Forum Favourite slightly decadent savoury snack?

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Favourite slightly decadent savoury snack?
  • stgeorge

don’t do anything sweet so my world is one packed with decadent savoury snacks

I had honey and mustard glazed chicken drumsticks for lunch
    Now I’m confused, savoury honey?

reeksy

I agree sweety 😘

MoreCashThanDash

a scotch egg, black pudding or not, is a substantial meal, I think we decided?

Bunch of bloody lightweights….

Scapegoat

Hard to decide between Duroc pork and smoked eel fritters with fermented sweetcorn jewels on a lovage emulsion

Or pickled onion Monster Munch

Fat-boy-fat

Choux pastry balls filled with molten Guyere cheese and peppered with crumbed Comte cheese on the outside. Incredibly laborious to make, but oh my word, tasty tasty tasty goodness.

andy4d

Had chilli for dinner last night so made some cheesy nachos with the left over chilli for munching on today.

willard

Cheese on toast

Or beans on toast

scaredypants

Wasabi & soy sauce roasted almonds – hard to find at a sensible price, though

nickc

very vintage cheddar on a dark chocolate digestive.

chipps

Deli sandwich roast beef and stilton on white doorsteps with rocket. All with Spitfire Mustard and mayo

Or fresh, hot cheesy topped bread rolls filled with crunchy peanut butter…

binners

I had honey and mustard glazed chicken drumsticks for lunch

Now I’m confused, savoury honey?

Indeed. Mix it all in with loads of coarse grain mustard or Worcester sauce and black pepper.

I think of it more a sort of edible glue to coat chicken drumsticks in savoury flavours before you slam ’em in the air fryer :D

franksinatra

Wasabi Peas for me.

This is the most middle class thread I’ve ever seen on STW

IdleJon

a scotch egg, black pudding or not, is a substantial meal, I think we decided?

We? Who? Where? A substantial meal? What have I missed?

Depends on where you get your scotch egg from, but the internet gives them about 3-400 calories. About the same as a duo Mars Bar, roughly, which is very much not a substantial meal. To make a substantial meal, I’d need to pair the scotch egg with other stuff, maybe a sausage roll and pasty and a cake. Or rather cakes.

jimster01

When working at Aldi in the run up to Xmas every shift had a smoked salmon with cream cheese on oat meal bread, washed down with a Caramel flavoured iced coffee.

SaxonRider

Rice cake smothered in hummous, with sliced tomato on top.

(I’ve got to have gluten-free, so don’t have much choice.)

SaxonRider

Wasabi Peas for me.

This is the most middle class thread I’ve ever seen on STW

Wasabi peas aren’t a ‘decadent snack’; they’re crack cocaine!

theotherjonv

We? Who? Where? A substantial meal? What have I missed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substantial_meal

IdleJon

We? Who? Where? A substantial meal? What have I missed?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substantial_meal

Bonkers, like so much of what happened during lockdown.

In spite of the fact that the regulations made no use of the term, the press showed substantial interest in the definition of “substantial meal”…..

Although ministers had no legal authority to define a “substantial meal”, definitions offered by various politicians included one “you would expect to have as a midday meal or an evening meal”, disregarding snacks such as crisps and chips; but not a Cornish pasty on its own, the PM’s spokesman insisting that “bar snacks do not count”…..

Newspapers published articles on whether a scotch egg constituted a substantial meal.[12] On 30 November 2020, the Environment and Food Secretary George Eustice stated that they “probably would count”.

Absolutely nonsensical, although this is funny:

For example, “high-end crisps” served in “substantial portions accompanied with various elaborate dips” were considered a substantial meal in a 2017 Westminster City Council hearing, with the council congratulating the owner on “[creating] a ‘non-Walkers’ crisp offer and the desire to celebrate the great British potato at its peak and most hip”.

Scapegoat

Under the licensing act (1964) I learnt as a rookie cop in the 80’s it was important to define a “substantial table meal” to allow for supper hour extensions and the serving of beer cider and wine to 16 ur olds. In those days it was held that a substantial table meal was not less than a cheese sandwich with pickles.

Interesting to see how it was mangled for Covid restrictions.

frankconway

Supper hour extensions – ah, the days of getting around 10.30pm closing.

slowoldman

smoked eel

Now you’re talking. Trouble is all you get these days are piddling little fillets. When I were a lad you could get smoked eel as thick as your arm fresh from the smokehouse over the road. Well, when I was visiting relatives in Germany anyway.

prontomonto

Caramelized red onion with goat’s cheese (French style, not feta) on sourdough, lightly grilled.

Clover

South of France edition – tapenade on fougasse. Also croissant with cheese (local tomme Catalane or the next door farmer’s Camembert) and a slice of jambon cru. I reckon I need to cycle 100km just to keep on top of the calories. 

onewheelgood

Jalapeno and Kaffi Lime Cashews from The Olive Branch stall at Warwick Market. Tasty and nutritious.

gravedigger
    Free Member

Marmite cashew nuts…

scud
    Free Member

For me xmas was all about homemade salt beef topped with homemade spiced pickled cucumbers from garden, lots of Colmans mustard on our sourdough bread…

Klunk
    Free Member

aldi garlic bread with grated cheddar

Paradiso
    Free Member

From a Keith Floyd book.  1/2 french stick cut lengthways.  Thin slices of onion on top of each side.  Thinly sliced mature cheddar on top, then drape 3 or 4 anchovies over the top of each side.  Some black pepper and grill until cheddar and anchovies are golden.  Eat by dipping into lots of ketchup.  Magic combo.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.