Home Forums Bike Forum Fastest bike rack for a mini

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fastest bike rack for a mini
    appltn

I’m after a quick to install and remove bike rack for the back of my 2018 mini hatch (no bike carrier preparation unfortunately).

I want to be able to put the bike on with no disassembly (so not a seesucker) and to fit and remove the rack + one 29” full sus bike in the shortest time possible.

Would that be a Saris of some variety? Any other recommendations?

5lab
    Free Member

if you can pop a tow bar on, the thule xpress takes ~2 seconds to attatch and detatch (I leave the arms “out” the whole time), its my go-to when I only have one bike to pop on

appltn

That does look perfect, I don’t think I can fit a tow bar though unfortunately as it’s a cooper s with central exhausts.

pisco

The Saris Bones type are handy and I have yet to try a car that it hasn’t fitted. However, They are fiddly to install, they are fiddly to mount the bike, and they may well obstruct your lights/number plate. And they will interfere with the operation your rear wiper. Also, you can’t be too precious about your car bodywork.

Mine is a bit of a last resort.

I haven’t used a Seasucker, but by the looks of them, I’d wager they are quicker and less hassle than a Saris Bones

nickc

There are factory spec roof rails that any mini dealer can fit, from there any roof rack fits. I’ve a couple pf Thule Wing bars that stay on mine permanently. I just slide the bike rack on before I go.

matt_outandabout

Yep – someone at the office has roof rails on a cooper and just leaves them on most of the year.

TheGingerOne

Some mini’s though need the roof rack prep specified at build otherwise you can’t fit roof racks. Previous gen electric mini has this for definite, not sure of others.

Yak

+1 for roof rails and bars. I ran a saris for a bit (on a civic )and it dented the top of the boot as the metal there is too thin to support the load. Not sure how much thicker/stiffer a minis boot would be.

a11y

There’s also aftermarket roof bars that fit that age of MINI (F56) but they’re scarce, there was a set inc two Thule carriers on eBay recently but I can’t find it now.

If you’re a FB user there’s a F56 owners group on there that’d be worth consulting.

Yak

I think in order of preference, I would go roofbars, seasucker then saris as a last resort. I haven’t used seasuckers, but whenever I see them, they seem pretty solid. It’s only front wheel off so not really much disassembly.

j.bro
    Free Member

There is the SeaSucker Hornet? Might work with a Mini?

I agree with taking the wheels off, I got sick of having to take wheels on and off with my Treefrog racks. So went with a towbar and Thule Epos.

appltn

There is the SeaSucker Hornet? Might work with a Mini?

I bet it would, that’s a great idea thanks!

reeksy

I occasionally use a seasucker rip off (Rock bros) on a Mini. They’re super quick to put on the roof and solid. The roof is a bit flexy so you do sometimes hear that but I can’t see any damage.

DickBarton

Whichever one you go for, it’ll get quicker the more you practice with it…

garage-dweller

Although they will be suggested or recommended please, please, please don’t use a rear mounted rack without proper lighting being visible.

I followed a mini sized car with two bikes hung on the back and no lighting earlier this week.  The visibility of tail, brake and indicator lights was abysmal. Proper hazard to themselves and others.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.