Home Forums Chat Forum F1 2021 – spoilers here

Viewing 40 posts - 3,041 through 3,080 (of 5,338 total)
  • F1 2021 – spoilers here
  • mashr

The Audi – McLaren news is bonkers (assuming it gets confirmed). Not sure if McLaren-Audi F1 works for me

inkster
    Free Member

Yes Bez,

The fact that Verstappen hasn’t had a team mate who can come anywhere near him shows how exeptional he is as a driver.

The rivalry has a man vs boy narrative arc running through it, you know there’s going to be a movie made about this somewhere down the line (I’d have Seb’s character narrating it!), Max is unwittingly making himself a villain for the ages!

He looked wounded and surprised when the crowd turned on him, he and Red Bull have been riding high on the historical Hamilton hate this season but I think the broader tide of public opinion is beginning to turn in Hamilton’s favour as he’s shown maturity by playing ‘rope a dope’ with the young pretender.

A lot of it depends upon who you have in your corner mentor wise and both have been spoilt in this regard but spoilt in different ways leading to different outcomes.

thols2

The Audi – McLaren news is bonkers

What news? There is speculation galore, I haven’t seen anything that would qualify as news.

mashr

As per the tweet on the last page, Autocar are certainly claiming its happening

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-finance-and-corporate/audi-buys-mclaren-group-secure-formula-1-entry

thols2

Autocar are certainly claiming its happening

Autocar are claiming “a source” said it’s happening. Until the companies make an official statement it’s just speculation.

mashr

Yes, that’s why I wrote

assuming it gets confirmed

dannybgoode

@mashr- RB seemingly did some work on their wing at this race too…

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Oh come on 🙄 he’s using the “stick of truth” on a Lego car, lighten up

Not sure what a stick of truth is, but RB seem to bring the Victor Meldrew out in me.

Superficial
    Free Member

This is so enthralling – it seems like both drivers want this WDC more than any other. Lewis because 8 titles would solidify his GOAT status, and you kind of imagine he might do something else once he’s achieved that. Max, because he knows that even if he were to win the next 5 or 6 WDCs, this will always be ‘the one where he was up against Hamilton’. They’ll make Hollywood films about this in 30 years’ time.

I can’t be anything other than cynical about Max’s driving at turn 4, though (and the stewards’ response). It seemed like Max was being extremely reckless in the full knowledge that he’d be favoured if they both had to retire, which is dangerous not to mention unsporting. It was extremely similar to what happened at Silverstone, and HAM got a significant penalty there (although, clearly came off better ultimately). But I’m no expert in these things, not even an armchair one.

mashr

I am looking forward to the Max footage coming out. He’s claiming now that his tyres were gone

@mashr- RB seemingly did some work on their wing at this race too…

Interesting, any other details floating around on this one?

TiRed

I am looking forward to the Max footage coming out

Well you either turned the steering or you didn’t. Should be pretty unequivocal really. and I don’t believe the stewards had real-time steering sensor information for the decision. “The dog ate my memory card” is coming from Horner ;-)

dirkpitt74

Mclaren dismiss Audi take over…….

So expect it to be confirmed shortly then lol

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

One, potentially delicious, option is that somehow Lewis wins this year’s WDC title and MV goes on to be “the greatest driver never to win a WDC”. With the regulation changes next season and George Russell coming into Merc this may turn into the season that was the best chance MV had to win one.

Sure, being realistic about it, the chances are good that MV will win multiple championships but I’m not sure he will get to 7 or 8.

Bez

“Penalty for what?” says Horner:

“If it had been the other way round, I’d have told my sporting director to have a moan about it, but I wouldn’t have expected to get anything from it.”

andrewh
    Free Member

MV goes on to be “the greatest driver never to win a WDC

Already has the most wins without a title, 19 for MV, 16 for Stirling Moss and 13 for DC.
    More than quite a few champions.
    MV has won as many this year as Mansel did in his dominant 92 season, obviously a few more nowadays

Twodogs

Is saying something is “wholly inaccurate” the same as saying it’s not true??

Sui
    Free Member

been talks of this over the last week, all parts of the VW group have abandoned F1 engine projects and teams. The engine will stay the same for a while, but suspect if it goes ahead you may find 2 parts of the VAG group in F1 eventually..

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Interesting, any other details floating around on this one?

I do recall Horner being interviewed prior to the race, I can’t remember what was said exactly but I’m fairly certain Horner confirmed RB had carried out some work to the rear wing of one of the RBs due to ‘reliability issues’.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Cancel that. Just found the clip and they were discussing Mexico pre quali.

Horner said the RB rear wing was worked on pre quali in Mexico under parc ferme, followed by a miffed Toto complaining Merc couldn’t do the same this week.

RickDraper
    Free Member

RB have worked on the rear wings before the race in all of the last 3 races.

RB

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/what-is-behind-red-bulls-rear-wing-troubles/6762903/

markgraylish
    Free Member

MV goes on to be “the greatest driver never to win a WDC

Already has the most wins without a title, 19 for MV, 16 for Stirling Moss and 13 for DC.

Sorry, can’t let this one pass! DC one of the worlds greats?!?! Seriously? 😃😃

Daffy

The Stewards decision is really quite odd, isn’t it? You can see the Lewis slowed and would have been able to make to corner and to take the lead if Max had made ANY attempt to make the corner at all. He didn’t even start to brake until he was almost at the apex, he knew that he’d either spear into Lewis or force him off. Lewis backed out as he had room to do so and there was no collision.

Max would’ve caused a collision if Lewis didn’t back out a little. They ruled no fault.

In the mirror oposite of this at silverstone, lewis is on the inside (with more of his car alongside Max than Max had in Brazil) and max goes full tilt around the outside and doesn’t back out of it, but continues, not braking, but turning in, causing a collision.

Max did cause a collision because he chose not to back out of it a little and Lewis was found to be predominantly at fault.

Which rule is it?

Daffy

I think your allowed to make repairs and minor aerodynamic changes under Parc Ferme rules once the car is released from scrutineering.

mashr

RickDraper

RB have worked on the rear wings before the race in all of the last 3 races.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/what-is-behind-red-bulls-rear-wing-troubles/6762903/

That only talks about Mexico and USA too? Was published before Brazil: “While the next race in Brazil can throw up some challenges for teams, the circumstances that triggered the wing problems for Red Bull in the USA and Mexico are unlikely to resurface there.”

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Are people referring to gurney tape as it’s often called?

I always assumed it was allowed to be added under parc ferme as it seems to be a regular occurrence.

Or am I confusing it with something else?

andrewh
    Free Member

Sorry, can’t let this one pass! DC one of the worlds greats?!?! Seriously

No, he’s just third on the list of ‘most wins without a title’🤷‍♂️

mashr

bluearsedfly
    Free Member
    Or am I confusing it with something else?

Gurney Flap? Don’t think i’ve heard of Gurney tape

dannybgoode

@mashr- watching Ted’s Notebook post Brazil he confirmed yes, RB had to repair the rear wing again under parc ferme. Same issue as the US and Mexico and to do with the snubber apparently.

mashr

That is weird, can probably ignore the Austin issue but odd to have the same problem at Mexico and Brazil

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Gurney Flap? Don’t think i’ve heard of Gurney tape

Yes, gurney tape as in applied to the trailing edge of the rear wing.

I’ve heard of a gurney flap and aero tape but could have sworn I’d heard gurney tape mentioned previously.

chrismac

Sorry, can’t let this one pass! DC one of the worlds greats?!?! Seriously? 😃😃

He is certainly working hard for his red bull cheer leader salary at the moment

TiRed

cheer leader salary

I held my nose and bought a month of Now TV to see me to the season end. DC has been dreadful MW better, but it was getting to be too obvious. I presume Turn 4 was a “racing incident”, naturally?

Pook

Gurney Flap played a live set on Marc Riley’s show last night

Twodogs

. I presume Turn 4 was a “racing incident”, naturally?

Of course! It was funny to listen to it live on the radio, where everyone was 100% in agreement that it was a penalty, then see the C4 highlights – DC was the only person (apart from Horner) who said it was fine.

Apparently the stewards “couldn’t get” on board footage from Max’s car when they made their decision.

thepurist

Apparently the stewards “couldn’t get” on board footage from Max’s car when they made their decision.

No but Masi has said that they’ve requested the forward facing camera and 360 footage to review post race. Still possible that Masi wants to “say hi” to Max again :D

Twodogs

Who do they get it from? I assume F1 not Red Bull. If Red Bull I imagine it’ll be “lost”?

thepurist

The commercial rights holder owns all the TV footage and releasing it will give them a load more airtime/views/hits so expect they’ll release it as soon as they can.

TiRed

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/masi-fia-applied-f1s-let-them-race-rule-to-hamilton-verstappen-incident/6783852/amp/

Masi has the same footage as every armchair official. As I said “dog ate my memory stick” incoming… and a five point fine and relegation to third. Perhaps.

Twodogs

Just read a Hamilton interview…he doesn’t think it should be a penalty tho I suspect he may be saying the opposite of he hadn’t won!

thepurist

Alfa have announced Zhou as Bottas’ team mate for next year, which completes the grid. Until everyone starts speculating on someone (usually Alonso) quitting mid season.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,041 through 3,080 (of 5,338 total)

The topic ‘F1 2021 – spoilers here’ is closed to new replies.