Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 5,338 total)
  • F1 2021 – spoilers here
  • dirkpitt74

But look who’s back!!!

Twodogs

The Cyril Irritable news is weird – he seemed to be pushing them in the right direction

the-muffin-man

So – Rich Energy!? Who would take his (imaginary) money after the shambles last time?

Williams? Didn’t they get burnt by Rokit in a similar scam.

Alfa Romeo?

Haas (again)?

Can’t see anyone outside those 3 having anything to do with him.

retro83
    Free Member

Twodogs

The Cyril Irritable news is weird – he seemed to be pushing them in the right direction

I think he was a pretty poor boss (given the results vs their budget), however it’s a strange time to leave/be sacked.
    They just seemed to have got on top of their car’s performance issues.

reluctantjumper

I didn’t ever rate Cyril as a good boss, always seemed to miss that extra edge to push them up to the top tier. I’m guessing the sacking may be fallout from losing Ricciardo?

Storey is just throwing words around, no-one in their right mind would go near him even if he turned up in the paddock with cold, hard cash!

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve read a few people saying that the Abiteboul (sp?!) departure is to ease the way for Renault to sell Red Bull engines again.

Gasly to Alpine is rumoured to be a part of that deal too. Ocon is thought to be in Mercs plan long term alongside Russell

dirkpitt74

No sure what the MotoGP guy can bring to F1 for Alpine/Renault.

tomhoward

But look who’s back!!!

I imagine motorsport fans have a message back to him too…

Rhymes with ‘Hook off’

keithb

2021 calendar alterations in full swing already.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/imola-replaces-china-as-f1-issues-revised-2021-calendar/

Which basically puts the calendar in “Europe” (Bar the traditional trip to Canada) from mid-April to late September, so should events get cancelled due to travel restrictions there’s a chance of not having to majorly rejig the calendar like last year..

I was dissappointed they didn’t use Donnington last year – would’ve been great!

the-muffin-man

With the size and speed of these current cars they just wouldn’t work at Donington – too narrow and no straight long enough to work with DRS. It would be just a train of cars.

reluctantjumper

Donnington isn’t Grade 1 either so not licensed correctly. You could argue with them dropping down to Grade 2 circuits as a temporary measure but with Grosjean’s accident fresh in the minds I very much doubt anyone wants to cut corners on anything safety-related.
    The car width won’t be an issue at Donnington, they were the same back in 1993.

chrismac

How does Monaco ever get grade 1 status as a track?

thols2

How does Monaco ever get grade 1 status as a track?

It’s exempted from normal rules because it’s the most famous race on the calendar. Bit like Ferrari.

reluctantjumper

The generally low speeds help massively, plus they have ‘historic’ status so get special dispensation on some things. The last big safety update was changing the barrier at the chicane after the tunnel, the one Button and Perez have hit over the years. It’s a lot further back now and has a very long collapsible section too.

the-muffin-man

I love Monaco!

One of those circuits where I could just watch 1 car go round and round. And occasionally it throws up an epic race.

🙂

retro83
    Free Member

Grosjean’s had his bandages removed

https://twitter.com/RGrosjean/status/1348980872494669825

Bez

One of those circuits where I could just watch 1 car go round and round.

Surely that’s any circuit, you just wait for Seb to come out of a medium-speed corner 😉

chrismac

I thought it was exempt because they gave f1 enough money

FB-ATB

Think it’s the other way round, their fee is lower than other places.

thegreatape
    Free Member

*tips hat to Bez

jairaj

I’ve read a few people saying that the Abiteboul (sp?!) departure is to ease the way for Renault to sell Red Bull engines again.

I thought Red Bull bought the intellectual property for the Honda engine and will be developing it further themselves?

Don’t see why they would go back to Renault engines after that expenditure? Or do they only have a licence for a year to carry on engine development with the Honda engine?

simondbarnes

I thought Red Bull bought the intellectual property for the Honda engine and will be developing it further themselves?

No. Their preferred option is for an engine freeze to be put in place from 2022 and for them to buy the rights to use / build the Honda engines but not have to spend a fortune developing them.

jairaj

Ahh I get you. Thanks for that.

stumpy01

Wow! Grosjean’s left hand still has some healing to do!

tomhoward

Think it’s the other way round, their fee is lower than other places.

This. They still pay, just a lot less than most, if not all, the others. Because glamour.

thols2

pondo

If the Euromillions come good on Tuesday, I’ll giving those folks a call, lots of very tasty vehicles on there (I’ll have the Leyton House, please! 🙂 ).

thepurist

Wow that’s a surprise

Jenson Button rejoins Williams

thols2

Wow that’s a surprise

That they have enough money to pay his bus fare to get to the press conference?

thepurist

He didn’t leave Williams on the road best terms last time, ended up settling his contract so he could go to BAR. But if Alonso can walk back to Mclaren after costing them 100M I guess anythings possible in F1

tomhoward

I’ll have the Leyton House

I’ll take the (united colours of) Benetton F1… had a model/toy of that at the time and loved it!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ditto @tomhoward

Remember doing airfixes of that, the Camel Williams, a McLaren and one other that I forget.

I always loved the Leyton House as a kid too for some reason!

Pook

Mansell’s Canon Williams for me. Loved that car

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If you are looking to draw in sponsors then having Mr Button there being Jenson is a good draw. Top bloke from all I’ve seen. I’m not gay or owt but he’s probably my mancrush.

thols2

the-muffin-man

Seb’s lockdown haircut seems to be trending!…

mashr

Quite a good autosport video yesterday

Of the course the big caveat is at the end, with “who knows what everyone else is getting done”

dirkpitt74

Is that Vettel or Prince William???

dakuan
    Free Member

someone needs to tell him that needs more than an haircut to capture Newy’s magic

joefm

dirkpitt74
    No sure what the MotoGP guy can bring to F1 for Alpine/Renault.

People management? He has been fairly fundamental bringing Suzuki back to MotoGP, and after 5 years making them a title contender. At that level, it’s not technical role so lack of F1 experience shouldnt be an issue. Getting used to the paddock and team, way of doing things will be different but he should do a good job.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 5,338 total)

The topic ‘F1 2021 – spoilers here’ is closed to new replies.