Viewing 40 posts - 75,761 through 75,800 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • taxi25
    Free Member

Not sure what the point is about ‘bussing them in’ other than scaremongering? 

I’m sure I saw an article in which people from Romania were travelling to Britain by a scheduled bus service. At some point this was described as “bus loads” of Romanians heading towards Britain.
    If they’d flown it probably wouldn’t have been commented on.

mefty
    Free Member

I didn’t pick it up from Fox News either, saw a tweet a day or so ago, but struggling to find with search now because so many have retweeted the fox news story.

willard

I seem to recall a TV news reporter being at Heathrow(?) waiting for people to arrive on the first plane in from Romania when they joined the EU, so they were commenting on it.

kelvin

Buses, aeroplanes, boats!?! Good god, is there no stopping “them”?!?!

[sarcasm]

The sooner we build that wall, fill in that tunnel, shut the airports and clog up our ports… the better. Who’s for picking up a rifle, and manning the barricades?

kelvin

That list of names no one wants to see right now…

Cougar

The sooner we build that wall, fill in that tunnel, shut the airports and clog up our ports… the better. Who’s for picking up a rifle, and manning the barricades?

It’s OK, we’re sending them all back where they came from in a few weeks remember. Then we can get back to the good old British values of leaving our doors unlocked at night, that nice man delivering the coal, children up chimneys, casual homophobia, and underage sex.

I might write to the Royal Mint (using actual paper and a stamp with a picture of the queen gawd bless her) to ask if they’ll consider a commemorative shilling.

Cougar

Is this the moment Brexit got done?

It may well be the moment grammar got done in.

kimbers

kimbers

Coveney has said a 3mth flextension (ie end of Jan unless deal sooner)

And Ireland are the decision makers here (taking back control, fail)

Now whats going on with an election ?

Nov, Dec, Jan???

sockpuppet

and be under the impression that you press a magic button called ‘technology’ and it miraculously sorts everything out for you.

If this button exists, and it’s all so easy to make it better, then why haven’t they already pressed it and made things better right now?

Also:

There are over 2 million Polish people in Germany (3 million if you include 2nd generation immigrants which the Germans don’t), 900,000 in the UK. Germany is very much the destination of choice for Polish immigrants.

Pretty sure they don’t count them because they’re Germans. Not immigrants.

somafunk

If this button exists, and it’s all so easy to make it better, then why haven’t they already pressed it and made things better right now?

They did press it but the batteries were in the wrong way

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

If the extension is ok’d, Mekon & Bohnson will want it ASAP. Other parties may be less hurried. As the blond cockwomble threw away his slim majority, he’s not in the driving seat for that.

Personally, I would simply very much like to see Bohnson’s earlier ditch wish come true, preferably with the part of Eva Braun played by the Mekon. Most other anything else is a bonus.

pipm1
    Free Member

I heard on the radio tonight that Google had made a working quantum computer, that must be the technology they’re on about.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50154993

ctk
    Free Member

Maybe Corbz has the technology button next to his stop brexit button.

stevextc
    Free Member

Cougar
    Who knows …

I rather assumed you did as you were the one saying that Polish friends had told you all about it?

The read the adverts, they know people who did it…. that’s a long way from actually knowing if it is a UK contracting company subcontracting through a Polish looking company/legal entity.

I’d not really asked because I expect this sort of thing to be running through layers of obfuscation anyway…

It’s all bollox… but that doesn’t stop people being scared!

Sure. It’s perception vs reality, which was kind of what I was getting at.

It doesn’t bother you but that doesn’t mean anyone it does bother is racist.

Yeah, but it doesn’t mean they aren’t either.

But we’re going round in circles now, I agreed in a previous post that it could be xenophobia rather than outright racism. But I’d like to bet it’s not as one-sided towards the former as you seem to be asserting.

It would also depend how you want to define it…. what I am saying (or trying) is whatever you call it this isn’t “Churchill type racism” where there is a belief a race is somehow “better” than another. (Although I suspect Rees Mogg may, he’s not your typical Labour Voter…)

If I polled the good, upstanding white people in my home town and asked them if they didn’t want to live near Asian families and why, I rather doubt I’d get many saying that it was because of a lack of cucumber sandwiches, Morris dancing and croquet on the lawn.

If you poll a load of people next to say a US airbase in Germany many will say the same things…not because of lack of proper sausages in the store.

Or if you go to a 98% single ethnicity ward in your borough and ask them why they all live together then I’m sure many if honest is they don’t want to live amongst English people.

All of that is just (mainly) perfectly normal Xenophobia…. or at least was
    Leave seem to have taken some mild xenophobia and managed to cultivate it into racism or more towards it.
    I’m sure if a word doesn’t exist yet one will…that is the racist equivalent of “radicalisation” to describe how Leave with a few national “papers” have taken the mildly xenophobic AND increasingly fed the drivel and some truths … “look this poor English Lady had to take pigs from her window because the muslims complained” and stir these up.

You seem to think a huge part of our population was very racist the whole time and suddenly “came out” …?? rather than this slow grooming process.
    Personally I think the reason is because of the implication there is something wrong with not wanting to live with a load of foreigners …. unless of course it’s the foreigners then it’s OK?

What’s the remain response ?
    “Ooh… it’s a bit racist if you don’t want to live in a enclave of foreigners – that’s not a reason we can discuss”

What’s the Leave answer?
    Stir up more hatred… chuck in some lies…ferment and say “of course you don’t and we will take back control of our own borders AFTER you vote leave”

slowoldman

I just thought I’d pop back here to get away from the “cyclist swears at dog owner” thread. It’s calmer here.

scotroutes

OK, notwithstanding the current joint activity to come up with a programme for Boris’s Brexit Bill, let’s say it’s 3 months from the EU and a GE. The Tories go into it with a clear policy of getting BBB over the line with as few amendments as possible. UKIP/Brexit “Party” will surely go along with this as they’re really not going to get anything better. I’m not sure now where Labour and LibDem are at.

LibDem had a clear Revoke stance though that seems to have been watered down a little in favour of a Peoples Vote.

Labour? Is it PV with BBB vs Revoke as options or are they after a Red Unicorn Brexit and then PV, or RUB and no PV?

Surely anything involving PV and/or any sort of renegotiation will mean another extension of 12 months or more. Will the EU be happy with that?

oldnpastit

Boris’ bill requires businesses in NI to fill out forms to send goods to the rest of the UK. Boris himself does not even seem to understand or know what goods or forms. It’s insane. How can anyone support it?

binners

This is the Bulgarian viewpoint and really made me laugh 😂

nickc

that’s genuinely funny!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hmmm….BBC explains why no impact assessments have been published

That is the fundamental strategic choice, made by this government, to pursue unfettered free trade deals with the US and others, at the expense of extra trade barriers with our biggest trade partner – the EU.

Clearly, the game has moved on since the Summer. We now realise that the EU won’t open it’s markets to us to cost effectively dump our non-compliant tat so we’re trying to forge a transatlantic alliance by offering closer regulatory alignment.

The madness of completely shutting the door on exports that are barely 25 miles from our shore notwithstanding, it’s clear that the government are more than happy to destroy what’s left of industry:

It promised to align regulations with the EU in many sectors, and adopted a series of legally binding “level playing field” arrangements covering the environment, employment, and competition.

But it also limited the ambition in other free trade deals with, for example, the US and other partners. By implicitly aligning tariff rates with the EU and sharing regulatory standards in many areas, Theresa May went out of her way to promise alignment to industries – such as automotive, aerospace & pharmaceuticals – at the expense of freedom over other deals with partners who would prefer a more flexible approach.

I love “flexible approach”. Not.

And this doozy:

There are two reasons why there is no economic impact assessment being published. First, it would take longer than a few days to do one. And second, because the assessment would almost certainly show that the medium term trade off for the UK is negative for growth.

So we do indeed get Mr Javid’s “lost decade” and no doubt the the resulting job losses will be blamed on an intractable European Union – cunningly missing the point that we helped write the Single Market legislation.

The flip side is that a more expansive free trade policy, with the US and others, will create some winners too – perhaps in some parts of financial services, tech, elements of cutting edge medical research, and in small businesses that do not rely on trade with the EU. Most of the bigger positive impacts will take longer to be realised.

Ah, those sunlit uplands!

So it is practically no deal in all but name, we’ll be desperate for trade treaties and will be “flexible” to adopt those stipulated by China, India, et al who’ll have far greater economic clout than us.

Have you ever stopped to wonder why no-one is mooting “sovereignty” anymore?

crazy-legs

Brexitannia: The British Identity Crisis

If only that article could be written on the side of a bus….

dudeofdoom

Ah, those sunlit uplands!

I’m still waiting for an answer to what fabulous things you can do after Brexit that you can’t do now.

Are they even bothering to sale sunlit uplands now seems that ‘getting Brexit done’ is more important than er what it offers.

Remember kids don’t let a good slogan get in the way of reality.

jam-bo

So for Boris to get his election, does he have to call and win a vote of no confidence in himself?

dudeofdoom

how-can-boris-johnson-get-a-general-election-before-january

He hasn’t the numbers to call a general election but can do a 1 line bill but then it’ll get amended.

I’m hoping he’ll do something interesting but for all the bluster he does seem to be very careful with things that place him in legal jeopardy.

Ie no witness statement for the poroguing and a carefully written letter to try to not ask for an extension.

dudeofdoom

Of course you could also argue why would he give up the job he’s always wanted, May managed to sit it out for 3 years spinning plates.

He could sit it out for a few years complaining bitterly how they’re stopping him.

It’s a shite job but there’s free b&b an good WiFi an a car going with it.

mefty
    Free Member

He hasn’t the numbers to call a general election but can do a 1 line bill but then it’ll get amended.

But he can ensure an amended bill doesn’t pass, not ideal but manageable. Preference will be to get Labour to vote under FTPA, Corbyn apparently doesn’t think they can continually duck it – probably correctly – many of his MPs supposedly disagree.

So Johnson has manufactured, much to my surprise, decent options, albeit none without risks.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I heard about Ken Clarke threatening to throw in a lowering of voting age and proportional representation, I put that down to twitterstyria if you will.

scotroutes

I can see why a lower voting age should be chosen for a referendum but any change for a GE should be a permanent one – and affect voting for all elections. Would there even be time to get all the 16-17 year olds registered?

PR? generally in favour but surely shouldn’t be rushed.

mattyfez

The whole thing has just become the most pathetic I’ve ever seen.

Practicalities are seemingly irrelevant and it’s all about a few MPs saving face, what little face they have left.

Speak to anyone outside the UK and the attitude is basically ‘wtf lol, why?’

kimbers

Both labour leadership & Tory leadership are internally divided over when’s best to go for an election

Good argument to hold it in mid winter as older folks less lily to turn out & help Tories

At the same time if its not until then will Johnson be able to blame Corbyn for delaying?

Polls look bad for Corbyn, but they did in 2017

After or just before a confirmed Brexit day would be what Johnson most wants

kimbers

Peter Oborne isn’t always right, bit he’s bang on with this

molgrips
    Free Member

What if they plan an election for December and it snows? That’ll slash turnout in certain areas, and damage credibility. Is there legislation about this? Can there be an emergency postponement?

tomd
    Free Member

I can see the “Boris wrecks school nativity” stories in the local paper already.

Most school halls, church halls, school etc are in good and regular use all through December already.

Our local polling station is our daughters primary school. They have to shut it when it’s a polling day, so potentially you’d be forcing a good number of parents to take a day of their already expended annual leave in the run up to Christmas.

binners

Kimbers- Peter Obourne is absolutely bang on. It’s been winding me up watching the BBC (in particular, as they should know better) quote ‘a source at number 10’ as if it’s a disgruntled civil servant leaking information, when they know full-well it’s Dominic Cummings (in his official capacity as the PM’s chief strategist)

While Johnson was on his feet in parliament the other day saying one thing, the ‘source at number 10’ was saying something completely different.

This technique of deliberate misinformation- of the executive saying 2 completely contradictory things at the same time, so as to keep everyone guessing – is one developed and used very effectively by one Mr V Putin.

kerley
    Free Member

I heard about Ken Clarke threatening to throw in a lowering of voting age

Having 16 and 17 olds voting is not going to help Tories much so why would they propose that?

There is something seriously wrong with a teenager who would choose to vote Tory. How could someone be so bitter and selfish at that age?

kimbers

is one developed and used very effectively by one Mr V Putin.

Yep reminds me of Adam Curtis talking about non-linear war, in hypernormalisation

I can’t wait for the Adam Curtis about this catastro**** to come out in a few years

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Having 16 and 17 olds voting is not going to help Tories much so why would they propose that?

I don’t think Ken Clarke is really trying to help the current leadership of the Tory party.

What if they plan an election for December and it snows?

Old people don’t vote, Tories lose.

What’s not to like?

kerley
    Free Member

I don’t think Ken Clarke is really trying to help the current leadership of the Tory party.

But he would presumably still prefer a Tory party to one led by the evil communist Corbyn.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Maybe. Or, maybe he’d prefer Britain to not have a catastrophic Brexit.

only Conservative MP to vote against the triggering of Article 50

Viewing 40 posts - 75,761 through 75,800 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.