Viewing 40 posts - 69,721 through 69,760 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Speeder

Heard Jeremy Hunt on R4 this morning suggesting, amongst other things, that if we leave with no-deal, it’s somehow the EU’s fault . . . .

mattyfez

MPs have defeated the government and voted to prevent a future prime minister from suspending parliament in order to force through a no-deal Brexit. They voted 315-274 – a thrashing defeat for the government.

zippykona

They voted 315-274

Do these traitors not understand democracy?

binners

The vote included government ministers abstaining, apparently.

Does this mark the point where some Tory Remainers have actually developed a spine?

Their was a journalist last week (from the Spectator, I think) advocating an interesting theory as to why all these Tory MP’s who despise Boris are now supporting him. They will now set about making sure that there is absolutely no way on earth he can deliver the no deal/moon-on-a-stick Brexit he’s promised. So his attempt will fail miserably at the first hurdle, the angry gammons will turn on him and he will be ritually humiliated and turfed out as the shortest serving PM in political history. A lot of them are apparently relishing this prospect.

Just in case you were labouring under the misapprehension that we’re not all just pawns in some posh boys parlour games

DrJ

Heard Jeremy Hunt on R4 this morning suggesting, amongst other things, that if we leave with no-deal, it’s somehow the EU’s fault . . . .

Indeed – apparently they are forcing us to be poorer. It’s like the caricature wife beater saying “she made me do it”. I think we can look forward to a lot more of this as the consequences of Brexit emerge. My first thought was “nobody could be so stupid as to believe that”, but then I thought again …

edhornby

315-274

53% to 47% so is that to be respected like 2016 or not respected like the result of the confirmation of the new EU president ?

Bring on the snap election when Johnson comes back with no amendment to the deal.

chewkw
    Free Member

53% to 47% so is that to be respected like 2016 or not respected like the result of the confirmation of the new EU president ?

😀 True, true 🤔

Reuter news

She secured 383 votes to 327 against, said David Sassoli, speaker of the assembly. The threshold was 374.

With 52% support, von der Leyen’s victory margin was in line with recent trends. Current Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker received 56% while his predecessor Jose Manuel Barroso had 52% for his second mandate and 56% for his first term.

That is a “great” margin? 😂

kelvin

Let’s see if Johnson can get more than 53.9% of the votes cast when our MPs have their confidence vote. May managed 51.5% last time.

welshfarmer

On a lighter note. If anyone has a hour to kill and is interested, here is a podcast/pubcast made by Graham Hughes on Tuesday asking about how British farming can survive a No Deal Brexit. I’ll give you one guess who the friendly Welsh farmer is he is interviewing 🙂

kelvin

How did each of the front benches vote on this bid to keep Parliament semi-open on the run up to Brexit?

Cougar

apparently the EU banned the use of newspapers to wrap up fish n’ chips and she doesn’t like the fact that they do not taste/smell the same anymore

If she remembers fish and chips actually wrapped in newspaper (directly as opposed to just the outer wrapper) she must be about 150 years old, that legislation dates back to the 19th Century. And, of course, it’s the square root of **** all to do with the EU. If she wants her chips wrapping in newspaper there’s nothing to stop her taking her own copy of the Daily Express and doing it herself.

I’ll give you one guess who the friendly Welsh farmer is he is interviewing

Hah, how cool. I’ll watch that later, cheers.

thegreatape
    Free Member

They will now set about making sure that there is absolutely no way on earth he can deliver the no deal/moon-on-a-stick Brexit he’s promised. So his attempt will fail miserably at the first hurdle, the angry gammons will turn on him and he will be ritually humiliated and turfed out as the shortest serving PM in political history. A lot of them are apparently relishing this prospect.

Just in case you were labouring under the misapprehension that we’re not all just pawns in some posh boys parlour games

If this is true, and their intention is to do that ****’s legs and completely **** him over, then on this occasion I’m quite happy to be a pawn in their game.

cchris2lou

I think Boris as a PM is the quickest way to a Brexit cancelation.
    He is going to make suck a mess of it, it will have to be canceled.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I think Boris as a PM is the quickest way to a Brexit cancelation.

This was sort of thing I was hoping for with Trump, Give him enough rope and he’d hang himself before he really made a mess of everything he could. As a way for the world not to see he was actually lining the pockets of him and his mates, unfortunately that’s not going to plan.

I worry that Boris will still be able to push through some crap or another, with no care for who or what it damages, just so he can get his moment in the sun…

Hope very much, that you are right and I am completely wrong.

molgrips
    Free Member

think Boris as a PM is the quickest way to a Brexit cancelation.

Quite possibly. I reckon he’ll have no authority, have to call a GE, then Brexit and LD will take big chunks. We might end up with a remain coalition in power, or we might end up with a 2nd ref as a compromise which remain wins.

johnnystorm

Boris may well come out of this smelling of roses. He’s done all the Brexit posturing saying he’s for it but will eventually kill Brexit and get plaudits from the other side as well.

I just hope we remain and he sinks without trace. We can all dream!

crazy-legs

Boris may well come out of this smelling of roses. He’s done all the Brexit posturing saying he’s for it but will eventually kill Brexit and get plaudits from the other side as well.

I think he’ll get through it more or less unscathed. Ultimately he’ll blame everyone and everything else – the EU, remoaners, the wrong type of leavers, the Irish, Labour… and he’ll get a cushy ride through the right wing press about how he was thwarted and how democracy has been overturned and people will buy his particular brand of bluffing bullshit.

He has done the usual classic though of painting himself into a corner before he’s even started – bit like May’s red lines before she even went into the negotiating room. He’s promised to deliver Brexit come what may, put forward the option of No Deal, of shutting down Parliament (now largely averted) so he’s sort of stuck. Whatever he does now will be seen as a failure so he’ll have to blame everyone else.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

the wrong type of leavers

chapeau

martinhutch

the wrong type of leavers

Isn’t that the definition of Chris Grayling?

kelvin

Something I’ve warned about in this thread over the past few years (and one of many reasons that I suspect we simply are not ready to leave on no deal terms in the autumn, no matter who is PM)…

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/18/making_tax_digital_and_customs_it_among_raft_of_gov_projects_rated_at_major_risk/

The taxman’s £226.33m Customs Declaration Service, responsible for delivering exports and imports processing, was also flagged as amber/red due to IT testing issues.

CDS will replace the Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight service (CHIEF), however concerns about the project have been repeatedly raised due to the tight deadline imposed by Brexit – currently expected to take place on 31 October this year.

There’s also stuff in there about the complications caused by preparation for whatever the hell is supposed to happen as regards VAT when selling into the EU after we leave (whatever way we leave).

binners
    kelvin

A great thread on chocolate … for those that care about the details …

https://twitter.com/chrischilton64/status/1151759606139543554?s=21

fadda

But…

Hang on…

That would indicate that Boris isn’t telling the whole truth…?

onewheelgood

CDS will replace the Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight service (CHIEF), however concerns about the project have been repeatedly raised due to the tight deadline imposed by Brexit – currently expected to take place on 31 October this year.

The project to replace CHIEF started at least 15 years ago…

dogbone

The bus Boris thinks he’s going to inherit on Wednesday;

The actual bus he’s getting;

teethgrinder

He’s a genetic mix up between an abandoned, racist sofa and a lying sack of shit.

Which is why he appeals to Tories and racists.

kelvin

The project to replace CHIEF started at least 15 years ago…

Yes, and the decision was taken not to update CHIEF to include rEU codes for Brexit contingency, because CDS was coming… despite warnings that it would not be ready for March (both the IT system, and all that the roll out concerns). Roll out now won’t be complete by October… and that’s a fact now, not a warning.

And as for these things always taking far longer than expected here… the EU and Ireland knows this, hence an open ended backstop, rather than relying on alternative arrangements being agreed and implemented within any specified time span.

cb

speechless everybody?

Its democracy…

stumpyjon

I’m clinging to the faint hope Boris will make such a mess if this parliment will finally wake up and stop the madness. With Hunt there was a real chance a dodgy deal would have been done. I think with Johnson in charge there is less chance of us leaving on Halloween.

fadda

stumpyjohn, you’ve exactly echoed my feelings – I’m desperately hoping that BJ makes such an ungodly hash of things that sense may prevail…

Klunk
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

Bring on the General Election for more entertainment …

kilo

It’s like a Rubik’s cube just made of turds, whichever way you twist it it’s still a turd;

US President Donald Trump has said talks about a “very substantial” trade deal with the UK are under way. BBC

Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the US House of Representatives, has warned Boris Johnson’s government that Congress would not endorse a trade deal if the Belfast Agreement was jeopardised by Brexit.Irish Times

falkirk-mark

Is it just my cynical part that thinks Labour are happy with Corbyn in charge bumbling about knowing they won’t be voted in also knowing Brexit is going to be the mother of all F-ups. So when it all goes badly south they can turn round in the future and blame the whole mess on the Tories.

mrmo
    Free Member
    mattyfez

Is it just my cynical part that thinks Labour are happy with Corbyn in charge bumbling about knowing they won’t be voted in also knowing Brexit is going to be the mother of all F-ups. So when it all goes badly south they can turn round in the future and blame the whole mess on the Tories.

Yep.. Just like the tories they simply want to be in power, they don’t care about the people.
    The current situation suits the Labour Party down to the ground, they are sitting back and letting the tories own the mess.

cchris2lou

Child poverty grants given to the UK by the EU are being returned as UK government didn’t know how to spend them. 😂😂

kerley
    Free Member

The current situation suits the Labour Party down to the ground, they are sitting back and letting the tories own the mess.

Yep and for Corbyn it has the bonus that we would have left the EU so he doesn’t have to take the blame for something he actually wants. Very good scenario for a Labour Brexiter.

johnnystorm

cchris2lou

Child poverty grants given to the UK by the EU are being returned as UK government didn’t know how to spend them. 😂😂

Don’t know how to, or don’t want to?

#cynical

scotroutes

Many EU grants are on the basis of matched funding. I’m guessing the UK Govt simply didn’t want to spend any of its own money.

Viewing 40 posts - 69,721 through 69,760 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.