Viewing 40 posts - 69,761 through 69,800 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • olddog

kelvin

Interesting wording. I think, when comparing desirable outcomes, not using the words “Remaining” or “Brexit”, “Stay” or “Leave”, would be useful for discovering what people want, rather than their gut allegiances to a nebulous cause.

Say:

“Supportive of participating in the Single Market”

“Supportive of the right to access medical services across Europe”

“Supportive of prioritising trade with the USA over trade with other countries”

Etc

kelvin

Anyway… plans to close a car plant aren’t even news these days. The steady slide towards the end of our largest exporting manufacturing sector is just taken as a given by those who prefer tub thumbing to seeking to keep skilled jobs in the UK for people who have never even been near Eton or Cambridge or Oxford. My thoughts are with the workers of Ellesmere Port, and their families.

philxx1975
    Free Member

keep skilled jobs in the UK

I hate to break it to you but the people who exist outside of shithole Britain are equally if not far more skilled and some don’t entitle themselves because they are british.

Just sayin

Even if Britain produced electric cars that were the best in the world the board of the company would only sell off the IP to the highest bidder lining their own pension pot/pocket, that’s providing they hadn’t sold the company to keep it afloat to the Indians!!

Bye Britain

kimbers

I see raab, Patel etc are on a media blitz to sell Brexit again, usual lies about controling immigration & stepping up the ‘blame the EU’ rhetoric

It’s all so utterly predictable

Cougar

Just tripped over this. It’s a list of the trade deals we’ve agreed to in principle post-brexit so far. (Of course, many are deals we already have…)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-47213842

BoardinBob

Err, the pound has just collapsed worse than it did immediately after the referendum result😬

kelvin

Still some major trigger events to occur over the next 18 months. Some of those are already priced in, but I still think we’re very likely to end up 1:1 with the “failing” falling Euro in that time. And as last week you only got 1:1 when exchanging cash or on card transactions, this will mean getting less that 1 Euro to the pound for us down at the bottom of the social orders. I’m on our first holiday abroad since the Referendum summer, and I’m utterly knocked back at how little your British money now gets you in France. Everything seems super pricey already…

AD

Some of the comments on the BBC News website are priceless – ‘low pound helps our exports so is a massive positive!’. If only we didn’t have to buy the raw materials from those dastardly foreigners…

Cougar

These are the self same people who want to leave the EU because they’ve been predicting for the last 20 years that the Euro is about to crash, yes?

kelvin

Unite people talking tough about their members at Ellesmere Port… remind me where the leader of Unite stands on Brexit?

whitestone
    Free Member

Could someone remind me what currency crude oil is traded in please?

kelvin

Same as most things, from bike components to medicines.

Cougar

Crude oil is traded in bike components?

binners

We’ll be bartering with rat meat and shiny beads by the time these ****s have finished!

It’s clear that ‘career psychopath’ Dominic Cummings is calling the shots

Raab is ‘on message’ for this financially suicidal lunacy

It’s utter madness!

crazy-legs

I can’t quite fathom how we’ve gone from there being no downsides to Brexit, only considerable upsides [David Davis, Oct 2016] and how the trade deals we do will be the easiest in human history and able to be implemented within a year or so to now spending £100 million (presumably from the Magic Money Tree) on warning people and businesses of a no-deal.

Surely the “warnings” about something with only considerable upsides should be to remind everyone to sort out our unicorn parking facilities and ensure we’ve got space for the vast array of freely traded products that we’re now able to buy that we had no access to before?

I want to see who caves first. Boris (with his promise to leave on 31st October come what may), Parliament (who have said they won’t allow a no-deal Brexit) or the EU (who have said there won’t be any more negotiation).

Shame it’ll destroy the country before it’s resolved.

mattyfez

A successful cross party VONC in the government is the only way I can see we’ll ever get out of this mess.

Basically it’s up to jezza, and he’s just as bat shit as the tories are.

willard

I’m just loving* the arrogance of Boris saying that he will not meet EU leaders until they rip up the withdrawal agreement. Not only does it show him to be an appalling statesman with zero grasp of how to interact with other world leaders, but I do wonder what he genuinely hopes to achieve. I mean, is this really the best force he can put on the EU?

* denotes sarcasm. Not loving it at all.

kimbers

the arrogance of Boris saying that he will not meet EU leaders until they rip up the withdrawal agreement. Not only does it show him to be an appalling statesman with zero grasp of how to interact with other world leaders,

It’s more for the domestic audience? I wonder if it’s a Cummings strategy that will be stuck to by all

Klunk
    Free Member

the pound continues it’s slide, even with his “we hold our hand out” bolloxs.

tjagain

Willard – the aim is to transfer blame to the EU for being intransigent

binners

If you’ve not watched it yet then I’d recommend watching the Great Hack on Netflix. Its eye-opening, if not in the least surprising.

It explains a lot about how we got into this mess, and where we’re headed. The usual suspects all pop up. Aaron Banks, Farage, Steve Bannon, Andy Wigmore, Dominic Cummings, Cambridge Analytica.

It explains the mindset of this disaster capitalist cabal. Steve Bannons philosophy is that to conduct permanent change to a system, first, you have to break it. Then you rebuild it in your own image

That’s why Johnson has brought in the same people who won the leave campaign into number ten. They want to make sure they really do break it, which a no-deal will certainly do.

Whats deeply worrying is that you just know that they’re about to call an election against a flailing and clueless labour party, so they can get a mandate to drive through no deal. They’ll be using the same dodgy Cambridge Analytica style tactics, and employing the same outriders (Farage, et al) to say the things they legally can’t. All with the same dodgy funding and the support of rabidly anti-EU fellow travellers in the press

We are truly ****ed!

kelvin

the aim is to transfer blame to the EU for being intransigent

Yep, when the “sunlit uplands” turn out to be be bunkum [Who knew?] and the pain of Brexit kicks in, it’ll be their* fault.

* EU
    * Heads of foreign governments
    * Unbelievers
    * Any MPs still prepared to speak truth

Del

What I hadn’t known until last night, and somone please correct me if I have this wrong, is that an agreement reached under article 50 requires only majority agreement from EU. Once article 50 is complete/finished/terminated, whatever, any subsequent agreement requires unanimity. I wonder if this would make it more difficult to get agreement, or less…

kelvin

`I presume that last line is a rhetorical question? A full long term trade deal will take years… the Withdrawal Agreement is just supposed to bridge both sides over that period. That’s the basics. Unless you’re Raab of course… who is trying to claim it’ll be easier to get a trade deal immediately after the A50 is period is over, and we’re* desperate for something quick.

* Farmers
    * NHS
    * Car industry (remains of)
    * Hauliers
    * Importers
    * Exporters
    * People living in the UK
    * People living on the island of Ireland
    * Especially anyone who’s in two or more of the above groups

willard

tjagain

Willard – the aim is to transfer blame to the EU for being intransigent

Yeah TJ, that point is being well and truly driven home now, even if I had not already guessed it thanks to kippers earlier this month (and before).

kelvin

Getting poorer all the time…

somafunk

An alternative take on the Boris/Nicola meeting

fadda

Cougar – haven’t we had enough of experts?
    Coming in here with their years of experience, giving their informed views and explanations…

mattyfez

The Brecon byelection looks set to be a lib dem landslide thanks to the greens and plaid stepping aside.

That would bring the tories majority down to 1MP.. Remembering 10 tory votes are just DUP.

That sets the stage for a VONC from Labour.. If magic grandad pulls his finger out we could have a GE and a completely hung parliament…
    I suppose the prospect of a GE would at least prevent crash out in October, but then what?

Lib-green-plaid could probably muster the numbers for a majority coalition?

The tories seem to hate the brexit party but I suppose we can’t rule out a deal there either..

tjagain

Lib Dems unders swinson will only do deals with the tories – thats pretty clear. they have moved to where the tories were 20 years ago.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lib-green-plaid could probably muster the numbers for a majority coalition?

I think LD-Green-Plaid-SNP could based on remain, given the Brexit Party has taken both Labour and Tory votes. Seems a bit of a stretch though? Are we actually allowed rainbow coalitions like that?

mattyfez

Lib Dems unders swinson will only do deals with the tories – thats pretty clear. they have moved to where the tories were 20 years ago.

Errm the lib dems have, unsurprisingly, explicitly rulled out a partnership with the tories.

I can’t imagine why, lol!

They’ve also suggested a deal with labour is pretty much impossible too.

I can’t imagine why! Lol!

Also it’s quite refreshing a party having a clear defined stance! Donchathink?

mattyfez

I think LD-Green-Plaid-SNP could based on remain, given the Brexit Party has taken both Labour and Tory votes. Seems a bit of a stretch though? Are we actually allowed rainbow coalitions like that?

It would be unprecedented.. But unpecidented things are hardly news these days.. I’m not aware of any reason it’s not allowed.
    Although I can’t see the SNP getting on board.

Lib dems and Greens alone might have the numbers, plaid would be a bonus.
    Remember all 3 of those parties are already working together, and not standing strategically so as not to split the remain vote in contested areas.

Expect similar tactics of a GE is called.

Klunk
    Free Member

Also it’s quite refreshing a party having a clear defined stance! Donchathink?

Yeah like the Libdems stance on tutition fees. So clear they put it in print.

somafunk

FFsake Klunk, give that one a rest will you?, if that is all you can interpret from the coalition and a deciding matter then you are being very selective, Off the top of my head I could name quite a few very effective areas where the Lib Dem’s reined in the Tories plans.

slowoldman

I suppose the prospect of a GE would at least prevent crash out in October, but then what?

But would it? If a GE is called and parliament dissolved prior to Oct 31st do we just crash out before a new government is in place?

Are we actually allowed rainbow coalitions like that?

Why not?

Klunk
    Free Member

if that is all you can interpret from the coalition and a deciding matter then you are being very selective,

Who mentioned the coalition ? It’s a matter of whether you can trust what politicians say. It proves the Libdems Torylight are no more trust worthy than the next party.

Viewing 40 posts - 69,761 through 69,800 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.