EU Referendum – are you in or out?

Viewing 40 posts - 69,681 through 69,720 (of 73,256 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

So… in seats traditionally a Tory/Labour battle ground, where other parties have had little to no presence in the past, it’s still received wisdom that people will return to the big two when it comes to an actual vote, rather than answering polling questions …

By all means argue that Brexit policy isn’t a factor… but only if you genuinely believe that, please.

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

Lol one poll in one constituency does not a government make, but still…

P-Jay

Lol one poll in one constituency does not a government make, but still…

That’s not a poll, it’s an election result.

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

Whoops! My mistake, sorry. Good for the lib Dems!

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

Quick Q, who are YORK ? they are more popular than UKIP or LAB

LAB should be worried…

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

That is an absolutely incredible result.

Premier Icon doomanic
    Subscriber

How did that region vote in the Referendum?

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

Did they not field a candidate last time or something?

Premier Icon verses
    Subscriber

Quick Q, who are YORK ? they are more popular than UKIP or LAB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Party

Premier Icon dissonance
    Subscriber

LAB should be worried…

A council seat which are often even more of an excuse for protest votes than the EU elections.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

cheers Verses – not going to make the usual sarky comments about a Yorkshire republic 🙂 I actually am happy that political reform is being stood for, we need it in the UK.

just spotted that LAB nearly were beaten by an independent !!!

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

I don’t disagree Dissonance but they are the opposition and have taken a big hit, as have the in power party

mattyfez

How did that region vote in the Referendum?

60% leave apparently…

EDIT, correction, East yourshire as a wjole voted 60% leave.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Yeah, East Riding is the smallest you can zoom in on for 2016 referendum result:

Remain: 78,779
    Leave: 120,136

Bridlington has always been very Tory… and if you’ve been there… you’d guess to it having had a high Leave vote.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Meanwhile, our shiny new MEPs are off to a glorious start.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

… and also, probably needs geography lessons.

Premier Icon dissonance
    Subscriber

Meanwhile, our shiny new MEPs are off to a glorious start.

On the one hand she has already attended as many meetings as Farage managed over several years.
    On the other hand looks like she did sod all of any use there.
    I like the idea of some poor sod halfway up the Seine quietly fishing suddenly having a submarine torpedo them. Not sure its overly practical though.
    He does seem a proper man of the people though. Guess he is trying to make a name for himself.

Premier Icon AD
    Subscriber

I think this is great – I honestly didn’t realise we were going to annex northern France and the low countries – awesome!

That Bridlington result! Makes me hope the LDs can win round my way. Time to help them canvass, perhaps.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

It’s only a local ward, so not that informative, but it is interesting that in the kind of strongly traditionally Conservative area, where the “if you don’t vote Labour, you’ll get Conservative” narrative can be strongest, things can pan out this way. I think “staying away” was a big part of the result here… the turnout was low… but fear that may well be so in a general election as well… plenty of people thinking “none of them” currently.

mattyfez

That’s the thing though, yes small wards up for grabs through attrition.. But are showing interestingly large swings to remain parties .. Peterborough was another interesting one.. Widely thought to be a home run for the brexit party, labour just about snatched it from the tories.

Both staunch leave areas previously..

The lib dems seem to be attracting a lot more remainers than the brexit party are attracting leavers.

Labour and Conservativea are losing ground in both scenarios in staunch leave areas.

A GE would be impossible to predict.. There are not 2 main parties any more, there are 3. Possibly 4 if the brexit party manage to field a decent number of candidates, but that will mostly dilute the tory vote.

We might see a truly hung parliament with 33/33/33. Or 25/25/25/25 %

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

I now hope labour stay a leave party as we don’t want the remain vote split.

Carry on grandad.

mattyfez

Well the dems and Greens have forged an alliance along with other fringe remain parties to not field candidates in areas the others are likely to win. There was a Welsh one (brecon?) where the greens stepped aside to allow a lib dem victory rather than dilute the remain vote.

I can’t see tragic grandad going along with that. He’s far to authoritarian..
    Labour really need shot of him.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Well worth a read from the New Statesman

With Johnson, Corbyn and Farage at the helm, Britain is heading for disaster

The analysis won’t come as any great surprise to anyone, but the context is interesting

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

I now hope labour stay a leave party as we don’t want the remain vote split.
    Carry on grandad.

+1

In some ways worst case scenario is Labour changing tack at this late stage having not put forward any convincing arguments for remain to keep their core support on side but seeing that they’ve lost traction, switching to remain and both alienating any their core leave leaning labour supporters and diluting the core remain vote that have already gone to LibDem/Green.

athgray

I notice that Mogg has asked

“Who needs the EU?”

following Englands world cup victory yesterday, despite having an Irish captain.
    I can’t fathom how the future success of our finance, service and manufacturing sectors can be correlated with Ben Stokes ability to smash a boundary through deep cover.

You may have missed this, but the words average leave voter, reason, sense and logic, do not make happy bedfellows.

Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

It gets better. Even as there’s the prospect of the Tories self-destructing, Labour (or at least one of them) come to the rescue:

The Labour MP Sarah Champion has told the BBC’s Politics Live (not to be confused with the original) that if necessary she would accept no-deal and that she cannot be sure how she would vote on a no confidence motion, the BBC’s Andrew Alexander reports.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Dear god! Looking at her voting record, she repeatedly voted against Mays deal “as it didn’t provide enough protection for workers and the environment” but now she backs No Deal.

Nothing like a consistent position, eh? Anyone would think that the average MP has no actual understanding of the subject and they’re all just making up as they go along

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Nothing has changed…

athgray

Has anyone seen Boris brandishing a kipper on stage in the leadership hustings?

It’s a bit bizarre and toe curling in his show of support for the Isle of Mans kipper smoking industry against the EU

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

Dead kipper/dead cat. I’m sure the upswing in the smoked fish industry will more than compensate for the evisceration of the rest of the economy.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

I still don’t understand him waving pasties around in 2016.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49021081

Well done British politicians. Over there with your tactics and heavyweight negotiating abilities…

Meanwhile, in more unsurprising news, apparently a no deal exit will cause a recession. Who’da thunk it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49027889

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Kippers:

Tempted to drag up the pasty stuff again… to remind us that nothing has changed in three years. Donkeys.

PrinceJohn

Meanwhile, in more unsurprising news, apparently a no deal exit will cause a recession. Who’da thunk it?

I have heard even the fiercest of Brexiteers suggest that this will be case, with us not seeing any benefit for 50 years.
    Does it bother them?
    Apparently not.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

After listening to James O’brian on LBC this morning attempt to converse with a 70yr old brexiteer i now realise why people voted for Brexit, apparently the EU banned the use of newspapers to wrap up fish n’ chips and she doesn’t like the fact that they do not taste/smell the same anymore, and the nice man from weatherspoons wrote in his magazine that he is buying his drink from somewhere else.

fish n’ chips women highlights utter ignorance of brexiteers

Well that’s me convinced……….brexit all the way now…..

In other news UK would be only country to trade exclusively on WTO terms says expert

Bloody experts trying to confuse us with facts yet again.

PS – on a more serious note how can we hold these **** idiots to account for their actions short of firing them into the **** sun?

Viewing 40 posts - 69,681 through 69,720 (of 73,256 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.