Viewing 40 posts - 67,281 through 67,320 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • dazh

because of Corbyn’s talk of member led policy.

You do realise don’t you that labour’s policy was formulated as a result of a democratic process involving and ratified by the membership? You may disagree with it, but don’t pretend that the membership had no say. There’ll be another opportunity at this year’s conference to change it.

binners

Being pro-remain doesn’t automatically mean you should hate Corbyn.

It’s not about hating Corbyn. The point is that since the last election the Tory party, particularly the headbangers, have been constantly throwing around the statistic that ‘80% of voters voted for a party that was committed to taking the UK out the EU”

So a lot of us are now voluntarily removing ourselves from that group by voting for parties that don’t get us included in that statistic. That doesn’t include the labour party

kelvin

don’t pretend that the membership had no say

Back to the bullshit composite motion, that was the very moment that the whole ideal of Corbyn’s “empowerment of the members” dream was shown to be utter fantasy.

80% of voters voted for a party that was committed to taking the UK out the EU

Not just thrown around by Tories… also key Labour movers and shakers.

MSP

Labours policy fooled the membership with a cheap magicians trick, the non-policy on brexit to counteract the parties wishes to support a 2nd refrendum has failed, and still he is sitting on the fence, entrenched in his position of appeasing a minority of racists, rather than worrying about losing the majority of labour voters.

kelvin

If only…

alpin
    Free Member

look at the real problem in the polls, which is Farage and his Trump-supporting mates beginning to build a support base which could propel them to power.

Quite….

dazh

‘Linda from Doncaster’ on 5live just now says she’s a labour/green voter who supports remain but she’s going to vote for the Brexit party because she thinks the result of the first vote should be upheld. She said she was ‘conflicted’. Farage must be laughing his **** off.

kelvin

And still you vocally support those who think we must* Leave** (while voting for a party that says we shouldn’t). So much cognitive dissonance at work.

[*Adding to the narrative that to take any other path, or to ask the public, is contrary to democratic processes.]

[**Leave the EU, Leave the customs union, Leave the Single Market.]

A random twitterer puts it better than I ever could TJ & Daz…

dazh

And still you vocally support those who think we must* Leave**

If you’re referring to the post about Linda, where did I say I supported her? It was to illustrate that there are people out there who will prioritise ‘democracy’ over their views on brexit. Linda is clearly an idiot, but she’s the sort of idiot who wil propel Farage to power.

kelvin

I was referring to your fervent “understanding” of Corbyn’s position of honouring the referendum and leaving the EU, despite you not voting for his party while he has been its leader.

And Linda isn’t an idiot… this country has loads of people of all political persuasions telling her that we must “honour the referendum result”… yet all interpreting that result to best suit their political aims.

dazh

A random twitterer puts it better than I ever could TJ & Daz…

The war analogy is a good one. Labour party policy is designed to avoid a war altogether and instead reach a negotiated peace, and if that isn’t possible, change the negotiating team, and if that fails, ask the soldiers if they want to kill each other or call the whole thing off.

kelvin

How’s that working out? Will you be voting Labour this week?

MSP

Labour policy is pro war, but to oppose a damaging tory war, and instead have a labour lead war that is good for both those who want war and those who oppose it.

Which anyone with an ounce of common sense can see is **** mental.

scud
    Free Member

For me when i think of Corbyn and Labour it is the old, i am not angry and just disappointed…

Been a lifelong Labour supporter, but the one time you really wanted them to step up to the plate and be real opposition to the Tories, the response seems to have been a resounding “…Meh..” a lot more of a half-arsed whimper than any real opposition. If they have played this well, they should be gaining votes against the Tories with each day that passes, instead they are losing supporters. They should be calling out Tory BS every day and trying to set record straight and trying to illustrate the poison that comes with Farage.

The only good thing that may come out of all this is the fall of the two-party system, that parties like Lib-Dems and Greens come more and more into play and provide real opposition.

dazh

How’s that working out? Will you be voting Labour this week?

I’ll be voting for the party which has been consistently saying for 20 years that instead of fighitng each other over petty irrelevances, we should be uniting to fight real enemy which threatens to kill us all.

binners

UKIP?

kelvin

@dazh – current Green or Labour Brexit policy – which appeals to you?

dazh

That should be obvious, I’ve already said (3 times now on this thread) that I’ll be voting green. I’ve voted green for nearly 20 years now so it’s not a change based on brexit policy. In a general election though I’ll be voting labour for obvious reasons.

phiiiiil

Labour party policy is designed to avoid a war altogether and instead reach a negotiated peace, and if that isn’t possible, change the negotiating team, and if that fails, ask the soldiers if they want to kill each other or call the whole thing off.

But all this is happening after the enemy’s nuclear bomb already bounced twice, and will come back down again in a few months. It’s infuriating the way they say “it’s fine, we’re sticking to our policy” as if nothing has happened since last September.

dazh

It’s infuriating the way they say “it’s fine, we’re sticking to our policy” as if nothing has happened since last September.

The main thing that’s changed is that the govt have failed to get their deal through parliament. Given that Labour policy is to negotiate their own deal with the EU, why would they change that because the tories have failed? It’s a bit daft to change your policy when you’re a step closer to achieving it.

igm
    bodgy
    Free Member

😆 Milkshake a Fascist today!

Edukator
    Free Member

Given that Labour policy is to negotiate their own deal with the EU

Which is pretty daft when they aren’t in power and their voters are 2:1 to oppose Brexit. Most Labour voters don’t want a deal, they want remain. And that’s why those with any sense will stop voting Labour while there’s any hope of staying in the EU.

I think that Labour is going the same way as the French PS. Remember François Hollande? It’s not so long ago he was in power. Now have a look at how the PS are doing in polling, 4-6%. If you piss them off enough even your most faithful electors will desert you.

wwaswas

Lactose the Intolerant.

(nicked off of Twitter)

kerley
    Free Member

I’ve voted green for nearly 20 years now so it’s not a change based on brexit policy. In a general election though I’ll be voting labour for obvious reasons.

I used to but I am now voting Green in GE too. Their policies are close to Labour and some are better and more radical. Plus their representatives are much more open and honest and less playing politics (I realise that is easier when you don’t have loads of MPs)

mrchrispy

ROFLOCOPTER at the laughing on the Farage+milkshake interface vid 😀

binners

Brilliant, isn’t it? 😀

All while a woman shouts ‘FASCIST!’ at him

I bet that ones doing the rounds and causing much hilarity in Brussels

mrchrispy

So…talk to me about the brexit party.
    From what I can tell its an illegally funded private organisation with no policies or manifesto.

At the moment it seems the EU would be happy for us to call this whole car crash off but I fear if we elect and a bunch of gammon MEPs whos soul intend is going to be to poison the EU I can see brussels trying trying to get us out ASAP. there is no way they’ll want them hanging around causing trouble.

binners

The problem is that our electoral system is so slow and unwieldy that Farage and Arron Banks and their oily ilk have realised they can just get away with telling blatant lies and use dodgy oversees funding to influence the outcome of elections.

Then 2 years later there will be a report saying that they were telling blatant lies and using dodgy oversees funding to influence the outcome of elections, but by then the damage is well and truly done, and irreversible.

Seems to me that they’re pulling all the same (illegal, morally vacuous) stunts as they got up to during the referendum campaign. Gordon Brown has been out this morning calling for their dodgy funding to be looked into. I’m sure we’ll get to hear all about it in 2021 when the report is published

wwaswas

Strafed by a well co-ordinated flock of seagulls.

Farage with milk shake.

Northwind

I love his response too- “I spotted that a mile away”. And then did the same thing to stand up for himself, as he did in the EU parliament to stand up for britain, **** all. Then blamed someone else

chewkw
    Free Member

Brexit party to be investigated

Oh that’s interesting 😀

mattyfez

Let’s be honest, farrage will be used to getting covered in sticky translucent white liquid from his meetings with arron banks.

On a more serious note, I find it quite heart warming that the extremists are so worried now that the milkshake ritual is so perevelent that there’s a high chance they’ll get a spaffing whenever they are out and about.

We’ll done to all the spaffers out there.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

I walked passed as he got off the bus beside Northumberland St. If the news suggests there were any more than 20 people there to meet and support him they’re lying. Admittedly the 20 or so over 55’s there were very loud, it still didn’t drown out the shout of ‘you fascist ****’ shouted by some students who were walking past at the same time 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

We’ll done to all the spaffers out there.

Must be the new norm that ALL politicians must face soon … 🤣
    They should ALL carry umbrellas in future if they go walk about.

kelvin

Ridiculing Farage without throwing things would be preferable… am I the only one to think this? The milkshake thing makes no useful political point, and will only strengthen the support of followers who (mistakenly) think they are backing the plucky underdog with the common touch.

Cougar

The milkshake thing makes no useful political point

Perhaps, but it is absolutely ****ing hilarious.

Stoner
    Free Member

*tweet-theft*

TheBrick
    Free Member

MY prediction is that there will be violence on the streets. Maybe clashing protesters, maybe a protest that turns unexpectedly I don’t know but there will be violence. Which side to instigate it? Again no idea.

Viewing 40 posts - 67,281 through 67,320 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.