Viewing 40 posts - 67,241 through 67,280 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • raybanwomble
    Free Member

slam the door on white Christian immigration.

Oh noes – moar brown people! Whatever will we do.

slowoldman

Well Farage had better come up with something. Already EU immigration is down to about 25% of its pre referendum level but overall immigration has remained about the same – i.e. non EU immigration is up massively.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Well Farage had better come up with something. Already EU immigration is down to about 25% of its pre referendum level but overall immigration has remained about the same – i.e. non EU immigration is up massively.

The majority of which are students. Besides who cares besides racists?

binners

The fence sitting is going well, isn’t it?

Seeing if they can get down to single figures with the Tories

Cougar

EU27 will argue that we came back

Hard to come back to somewhere you haven’t left, non?

kelvin

dazh

Seeing if they can get down to single figures with the Tories

The poll in The Observer this morning had labour at 29% so where have the figures in that tweet come from?

kelvin

The 29% is GE polling, not European Election polling (which are the figures in the tweet with a downwards trajectory).

A General Election isn’t happening right now… so polling for that is very much about long term voting inclinations… where as a lot of otherwise Labour supporting voters have a chance, this week, of giving the party they “naturally” support a message. From social media it looks like A LOT of Labour MPs are getting that message…

dazh

The 29% is GE polling, not European Election polling

Funny isn’t it how everyone’s suddenly so enthusiastic about euro parliament elections 😉

binners

Well Corbyn’s half rice/half chips approach has clearly made both rice and chips fans that maybe they’ll go for the salad instead.

He’s without doubt the most inept, clueless political ‘leader’ I’ve ever seen. And I include Iain Duncan Smith in that

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Funny isn’t it how everyone’s suddenly so enthusiastic about euro parliament elections

I’m not surprised you couldn’t be arsed to check what the percentages represented. Isn’t the EU virtually indistinguishable from a dictatorship? In which case, you may not have realised there was even an election happening.

chewkw
    Free Member

He’s without doubt the most inept, clueless political ‘leader’ I’ve ever seen. And I include Iain Duncan Smith in that

Actually Corbyn is caught between a rock and a hard place. He is not clueless as everyone thinks because he knows he will be blamed regardless so why bother? Might as well let the rest do the talking for him so he does not get the blame which is a wise move if he intends to keep his seat. Those that shout the loudest will know their fate in the next GE.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

All hail the killfile. 🙌

binners

The polls can say what they like. And they don’t say 29% Daz, they say 20% and that’s the most optimistic for labour

Me and Mrs Binners are both lifelong labour voters and have just done our postal votes to vote Green

My parents were over this afternoon. Both are lifelong labour voters and have just done their postal votes to vote Lib Dem. They’re both in their 70’s, politically clued up, Lifelong Guardian reading lefties and have absolutely had it with Magic Brexiteer Grandad. This is the first time in their lives they’ve not voted labour

My neighbours are lifelong labour voters and have just done their postal votes to vote for the Greens. He’s recently retired, a son of a Manchester Labour councillor and steeped in the Labour party. Brought up with it. They’ve both just done postal votes for the Green Party. This is the first time in their lives they’ve not voted labour

One of my best mates is labour through and through. Until now. She worked under Blair at the home office and is a lifelong labour party member. She recently cancelled her membership. She just did her postal vote for the lib dems. This is the first time in her life she’s not voted labour

Can you see a pattern emerging here?

Labour won’t get a sniff of 20% of the vote, never mind 29%. The people, like me, who they could always have relied on to put their cross in the labour box – their core support – are deserting the party in droves

And with bloody good reason.

When Magic Grandad 3-line whips his MPs to abstain on Mays fourth attempt at getting her deal through, he’ll have sold us all down the river

So **** him! And **** the pathetic far-right enabling labour party he’s created!

tjagain

And with bloody good reason.

Nope – with paranoid delusions based on right wing press lies. Its sad you cannot see how yo have been manipulated by the tory press to vote against your own best interests

martinhutch

Too True TJ. The mainstream media is the enemy of the people! Fake news about the properly elected leader must end!

binners

That’s the problem with us capitalist lackies and slaves to the military industrial complex. We can’t even see the shackles of our own oppression

kelvin

Oh how the right wing media keep making me seek out the speeches and interviews of our glorious leader to read the actual words he uses. If only they would work even harder to keep me away from his words and force me to only read the spun interpretations of his words delivered to me by the more sympathetic journalists (yes I’m looking at you, the once widely respected Paul Mason).

olddog

We have another Binners prediction…

When Magic Grandad 3-line whips his MPs to abstain on Mays fourth attempt at getting her deal through, he’ll have sold us all down the river

We will see

kelvin

Predications are crazy when it comes to this.

I think we’ll still be in the EU come May next year, and be on our third Tory PM within 12 months.

The one thing I have no idea about, is how, when the mess of Brexit is rejected by even more of the public, the anti-Brexit Labour MPs, members and voters get the Labour leader to change, or to change who that is, before we Leave. I can’t see any change happening in time there.

dissonance

We have another Binners prediction…

I am wondering if he is Jacob Rees-Moggs dad considering his liking for predictions and how shit he is at them.

binners

Morning comrade!

bodgy
    Free Member

So, on Thursday i’ll Be voting for the strongest Remain party in my region: it’s gonna be Lib Dem for me. Labour has lost my vote and the Greens never do well in what is traditionally a Conservative safe seat.

It really is a one issue election.

dazh

Me and Mrs Binners are both lifelong labour voters and have just done our postal votes to vote Green

As someone who has voted green in every election since 2003 apart from general elections I’m extremely encouraged by this. It’s a shame though that many who will be voting for them are doing so purely on the basis of brexit, when they have many other excellent policies, not least about the most important crisis we should be worrying about, instead of the sideshow of brexit.

You do realise though don’t you that the green party are way to the left of Corbyn?

It’s a very weird election, that’s for sure, as a poll lead and predicted victory for a party which didn’t exist a month ago is somehow being interpreted as a massive shift towards remain. Whilst everyone obsesses about Jeremy Corbyn, Nigel Farage gets a free run.

MSP

You do realise though don’t you that the green party are way to the left of Corbyn?

I don’t think you get it, it isn’t Corbyn’s leftism that is the problem, it is his incompetence and ineffectuality when tested.

kimbers

Yep as will every election for the next decade- which is why fence sitting is so pointless.

I’d love to vote green, but their stance on GM leaves me with big reservations about their wisdom.

Lib Dems it is.

Sadly farage will do well , even tho not having a plan for Brexit is now something he’s proud of !

binners

MSP beat me to it, but thats exactly how I feel. I also think that there’s a very nasty undercurrent to the whole cult-like atmosphere within his evangelists, who will not tolerate any dissent or criticism. I suspect that if Corbyn and his acolytes got anywhere near power they would get very, very authoritarian, very, very quickly

olddog

I predict months of frigging about by our political leaders whilst we get more and more frustrated and people who would otherwise be broadly agreeing with each other fall into increasingly acrimonious endlessly revolving arguments

tjagain

So which is it. Is Corbyn the master manipulator who has the entire party under hard left control or is in ineffectual and hopeless?

Or have you just swallowed propaganda about him?

There is not a single “hard left” policy proposed – just normal social democratic policies. YOu guys are doing what the right wing press want you to do here – cutting off your noses to spite your face.

Kelvin so what speeches and statements do you object to?

kelvin

The ones where he refers to the EU, and our continued membership of it.

dazh

there’s a very nasty undercurrent to the whole cult-like atmosphere within his evangelists

Said without a hint of irony 🙂

binners

😉

willard

Didn’t I read this morning that he has said he will not end freedom of movement. Will try and find a source for that.

Edit: Torygraph. YMMV: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/19/jeremy-corbyn-says-labour-could-keep-freedom-movement-brexit/

kelvin

Well, ChangeUKwhatever seem to be impolding. Vote Green or LibDem this week.

[edit: other options are of course available for those outside England.]

On a side note… why such stern defence in this thread of Corbyn’s handling of this issue by people who vote Green not Labour anyway?

binners

Didn’t I read this morning that he has said he will not end freedom of movement.

I can’t see it. He’s been just as adamant as May that FoM will be ending. Its a manifesto commitment on the Labour Party website

kelvin

Always go back to the source…

“It would be open for negotiation the level of movement of people between Europe and this country if we’re a non-member of the EU.”

I think that’s lose enough to support literally any immigration policy you can dream up. He only has to say that he would support FoM carrying on, much it does for other non-EU European countries, and the whole “close relationship” compromise can become real… being involved in the Single Market in some new way could then be on the cards… that could be a genuine offering that could win over many people who want us to Leave the political union but not turn our backs on our European partners… and that isn’t something unique to 2016 Leave voters…

Put that to the people in a fresh vote… rather then the current unicorns of both the Brexit and Labour parties. I’d still vote for EU Membership, but I’m pretty sure I’d be on the losing side.

dazh

why such stern defence in this thread of Corbyn’s handling of this issue by people who vote Green not Labour anyway?

You confuse ‘defence’ with ‘understanding’. You lot are just as tribal and blinkered as the supposed ‘cultist acolytes’ which binners talks about. Being pro-remain doesn’t automatically mean you should hate Corbyn. He’s trying, probably with little hope of success, to hold his desperately split party together as he knows it’s his only hope of winning a general election. When remainers should be directing their ire at Farage and the tory nutters, instead they are obsessed with Corbyn, which only results in splitting the labour party further, and doing the job of the tories and Farage for them. As I’ve said, stop worrying about labour and look at the real problem in the polls, which is Farage and his Trump-supporting mates beginning to build a support base which could propel them to power.

kelvin

So “Tribal”, in my case, that I changed my vote to Labour at the last General Election, because of Corbyn’s talk of member led policy. If he can’t, now, persuade you to vote Labour, or me, how well is he doing?

tjagain

The ones where he refers to the EU, and our continued membership of it.

Cite please?

kelvin

Pick any. Or go back through this thread. There is even one talked about on this very page, if you’re feeling lazy.

Viewing 40 posts - 67,241 through 67,280 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.