Viewing 40 posts - 64,041 through 64,080 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Meanwhile….

nickc

He was in the TA, you know

P-Jay
    Free Member

So, the government in its lastest bid to reunite us all and reassure us that everything is in hand, just e-mailed 5.8m of us a repetitive and dismissive statement saying they don’t care what we think now.

Using the 2017 General Elecition as an excuse was utterly insulting.

bails

I’ve just seen a link to this from Dan Hannan, published a few days before the referendum.

What Britain looks like after Brexit

I seem to remember so-called experts and remoaners saying it wouldn’t all be this easy, but Dan knew best.

During the first 12 months after the vote, Britain confirmed with the various countries that have trade deals with the EU that the same deals would continue. It also used that time to agree much more liberal terms with those states which had run up against EU protectionism, including India, China and Australia

I do wonder how many Brexit cheerleaders genuinely believed this sort of rubbish and how many were latching onto it for the chance to make some money/have a go at being PM.

kimbers

i love that hannan piece, it exposes him as the weapons grade bell-end that he is

binners

The cognative dissonance of the morons responsible for this idiocy is truly beyond belief

David Davis was just commentating on BBC news – he was talking about this utter shambles like a defender who just shanked a ball straight into his own goal then blithely bemoaning the striker for not scoring to win the match

I don’t think i’ve Seen more of an imbecile given ministerial office. And I include Chris Grayling in that

And the Labour Party is presently 10 points behind them in the polls. Anyone heard anything from magic grandad recently.

We’re utterly ****ed! A plague on both of their houses!

Tom-B
    Free Member

I genuinely didn’t know this until just now……Failing Grayling was born on April 1st 😂😂

Cougar

Failing Grayling was born on April 1st

Wouldn’t it be poetic if he was the end of May.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That Hannan piece is epic, beautifully timed with this:

Oh, to put it in context Shahmir Sanni’s backstory:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/24/brexit-whistleblower-shahmir-sanni-interview-vote-leave-cambridge-analytica

In the space of twenty-four hours the last remaining respected but boisterous Leave proponent who had hitherto escaped public hoisting by their own petard – Daniel Hannan has been neatly debagged.

PJM1974
    Free Member

In many areas, whether because of economies of scale or because rules were largely set at global level, the UK and the EU continued to adopt the same technical standards. But, from 2019, Britain could begin to disapply those regulations where the cost of compliance outweighed any benefits.

We want access to the same market but with different regulatory standards. We know that’s controversial, but we’ve a plan.

The EU’s Clinical Trials Directive, for example, had wiped out a great deal of medical research in Britain. Outside it, we again lead the world. Opting out of the EU’s data protection rules has turned Hoxton into the software capital of the world. Britain is no longer hampered by Brussels restrictions on sales, promotions and e-commerce.

We’ll repeal our entire clinical ethics procedure. We’ll also not be as stringent with your data as the rest of Europe. Hey, that’s just the start. Standards are for snowflakes.

Other EU regulations, often little known, had caused enormous damage. The REACH Directive, limiting the import of chemical products, had imposed huge costs on manufacturers. The bans on vitamin supplements and herbal remedies had closed down many health shops. London’s art market had been brutalised by EU rules on VAT and retrospective taxation. All these sectors have revived.

Brussels doesn’t like us selling herbal supplements as alternative medicines that are unproven, not subject to testing process, of no therapeutic value etc. Honestly, if you have to ask why this would be in any way a regulatory problem then you’d need your head felt.

Hands up who knows of a herbal medicine manufacturer or retailer that’s been decimated by the EU? Anyone?

Other cities, too, have boomed, not least Liverpool and Glasgow, which had found themselves on the wrong side of the country when the EEC’s Common External Tariff was phased in in the 1970s.

Go on Daniel, explain the context….

In 2016, the viability of our commercial ports was threatened by the EU’s Ports Services Directive, one of many proposed rules that was being held back so as not to boost the Leave vote.

Context! Why? Where?

You’d have to be practically illiterate to assert this:

During the first 12 months after the vote, Britain confirmed with the various countries that have trade deals with the EU that the same deals would continue.
    The EU would naturally allow us to export goods and services which are not to previously agreed regulatory standards within the Single Market with no regulatory border?

It also used that time to agree much more liberal terms with those states which had run up against EU protectionism, including India, China and Australia.

Oh yeah, different regulatory standards = protectionism. Basically, we flood the EU with cheap, low par goods which do not meet their own safety standards. Not cool.

These new treaties came into effect shortly after independence. Britain, like the EFTA countries, now combines global free trade with full participation in EU markets.

Now able to flood the EU with cheap goods and services, possibly as a conduit from other marketplaces with few safety standards in place, we sit back, eat cake and pat ourselves on the back for our ingenuity. Of course, we risk that just one minor flaw ion our plans will be a catastrobollix lasting for decades. Better get those trade deals signed Liam!

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I’ve just had a hungarian friend in tears in the street because he is worried about the place that he has called home does not want him to be here.

rone

And the Labour Party is presently 10 points behind them in the polls. Anyone heard anything from magic grandad recently

Ipsosmori -4

Britain elects poll tracker -4.3

But, yeah, carry on.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

But, yeah, carry on.

The actual size of the gap isn’t the point though, is it? the point is that the opposition are still polling behind the most inept government in the history of Westminster.

rone

I don’t agree. 10 points is not 4 points.

If not he could’ve simply said Labour are behind in the polls.

This is exactly what Fiona Bruce did on question time, and clearly amps up the stats to suit an hysterical agenda.

kerley
    Free Member

the point is that the opposition are still polling behind the most inept government in the history of Westminster.

All it really shows is that people being polled are not aware of what is currently going on, not really interested in parliament, don’t understand what is happening with Brexit etc,. and are just saying they would vote for who they voted for last time.
    Not many people bother keeping up with what is going on, analysing it, forming fact based opinions and so on – you need to spend more time talking to the average voter

kelvin

Barry Gardiner spinning HARD against a referendum on the Today programme this morning. And against recinding A50, but that’s less controversial. “Labour is not a Remain party.”

welshfarmer
    GrahamS

Have we done…?

olddog

Not us obviously – we are all over it

AD

haha – Moggster writing in Mail today that he will back May’s deal. Wow, Imagine if he had done that months ago.
    I’m personally glad he didn’t because this way the gobshite might lose it all and hopefully people will remember his ‘consistent’ behaviour. Unfortunately no doubt he’ll get a free pass because he talks with a nice accent.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not many people bother keeping up with what is going on, analysing it, forming fact based opinions and so on – you need to spend more time talking to the average voter

What would change things is if one of the parties had a dynamic leadership who was engaging with people and trying to build a broad church of followers towards a better outcome from this and being able to give people something to rally around.

Regardless of the policies on offer labour doesn’t have a salesman or statesman at the helm, it needs one of those at the moment to be something different or worth voting for, too many votes are being lost because they will never vote for some version of what they think Corbyn is.

Sorry to say the experiment is over for them.

binners

Barry Gardiner spinning HARD against a referendum on the Today programme this morning. And against recinding A50, but that’s less controversial. “Labour is not a Remain party.”

Yeah, he was pretty unequivocal. I’m now struggling to see any difference between Mays position and Corbyns. If we’d have had Jezza at the wheel for the past 2 years, we’d be in exactly the same place – heading for No Deal. A situation Jezza would be more than happy with, I’m sure

The total absence of an opposition at this juncture is as shameful as the total chaos in government. An opposition is meant to hold the executive to account. A duty the labour front bench seem to have little or no interest in carrying out. And it’s pretty easy to see why when listening to Barry Gardiner this morning. Because they’re pretty much in the same place. They’re entirely complicit in this shambles.

Corbyn disappearing off to Morcombe on Saturday instead of attending a huge march advocating what is allegedly his own party’s policy tells you everything you need to know

ctk
    Free Member

You have to say that the ERG’s tactic of holding the EU’s feet to the fire until the very last second to get those last minute cpncessions that the EU always gives has worked. Not one ERG member has blinked.

molgrips
    Free Member

Moggster writing in Mail today that he will back May’s deal.

I think someone’s had a word with him in the strongest possible terms. Possibly involving a kidnapping.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/70-tory-mps-may-deal-opposed

Current view of who is where, 66 still out there and from opposite sides of the debate – she needs to get them all on side to get even close. Anything less and a strong opposition can defeat MV3 if it’s ever put.

molgrips
    Free Member

Regardless of the policies on offer labour doesn’t have a salesman or statesman at the helm

Is there one of sufficient calibre in the entire commons? As I said, we have a political deficit in the UK for a long time. It’s not specifically Corbyn’s fault, but a much wider issue. How did Corbyn and May become leaders in the first place? Cos there were no better options.

If we’d have had Jezza at the wheel for the past 2 years, we’d be in exactly the same place – heading for No Deal.

My opinion of Corbyn has gone down in the last 6 months, but it’s still higher than yours. Corbyn isn’t a megalomaniac, whatever you say about him, and I think he would have budged. Hell, ANYONE would have budged more than May. The woman’s a nutter. I want to say she reminds me of Nero but I don’t think that’s right. What other historical leader was so intransigent that it led to national ruin?

binners

Hell, ANYONE would have budged more than May

You’re talking about a man who hasn’t changed his opinion on anything, least of all the EU, since 1971.

Everything about him says that were he in her position he’d have been equally as intransigent, autocratic and tin-eared, as they’re his primary character traits too.

He presently won’t even support his own party’s policy of a second referendum, because he won’t do anything to jeopardise the Brexit he’s always wanted

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is there one of sufficient calibre in the entire commons? As I said, we have a political deficit in the UK for a long time. It’s not specifically Corbyn’s fault, but a much wider issue. How did Corbyn and May become leaders in the first place? Cos there were no better options.

The push from the centre for both parties is hurting this, it’s meaning you have to be “True” left or right to get a shot – the disdain many have for those who were new labour shows how poisoned it’s got in there. We get who we deserve but maybe we deserve another one there…

jam-bo

there should be more of this from the press.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Last time I visited New Zealand it looked like a nice place to live.

Anyone been there lately?

What about Canada? That looks quite nice, too.

binners

Talking of needing statesmen instead of the charlatans we’re landed with

Donald Tusk being just that. Just makes you even more convinced that this is where we need to be, and even sadder that we’re where we are

EU president Donald Tusk warns against ‘betraying’ Remain voters who are ‘not represented by UK parliament’

fingerbang
    Free Member

Just read Ben Bradley’s Wikipedia page. Jesus Christ.

“I think police brutality should be encouraged!” (3 days after mark duggans death)

There’s other similarly offensive bollox

But to be honest what do we expect?

The conservative party future is in good hands

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

+binners

Tusk:

12 April is a new cliff edge date: before that date the UK still has a clear choice between a deal, no-deal, long extension, and revoking Article 50.

EU still ok with us going “you know what, this Brexit lark is a bad idea”. Probably not happy enough to buy us a round of chips on the way back from the pub, but it could be worse.

kimbers

Well now that Barry Gardiner has officially staked Labour as being pro Brexit, in all circumstances, it’s now just a toss up between lib Dems & green, off to check my candidates websites.

It’s a bit of a relief really, no longer have to bother second guessing what labours policy actually is.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’ve just had a hungarian friend in tears in the street because he is worried about the place that he has called home does not want him to be here.

And I’ve talked to many people from commonwealth and other countries that wonder why it is so much harder/expensive for them to be in the UK . My partner works in a care home and the best/friendliest staff in her opinion are from non-EU countries, but we effectively discriminate against them.

olddog

I’ve just heard the Barry Gardiner bit from today. To be honest why is everyone surprised – Labour’s policy has consistently been “respect the ref” – with the order of preference being (a) GE (b) customs union based deal (c) second ref only to test May’s WA or no deal v remain.

He was a bit naive to say straight up that Labour is a Brexit party not least because the PLP and membership aren’t.

Until the Labour does or doesn’t shift it’s official position – which could be influenced by on what happens with the indicative votes this is the reality.

However, the Parliamentary Labour Party is just as much a continuum of Brexit groupings as the Tories, just with the centre of gravity a bit more to the 2nd ref than no deal end.

I think a possible progression may be 2nd round of indicative votes ends up with a customs union/common market 2/Norway plus option with FoM being agreed – adopted by Labour and then rejected by May. That could force a 2nd ref but we shouldn’t hold our collective breathe.

jimster01

That email from No.10 just about sums up the shambles of a government we’ve got. “We will be leaving”, “We will be debating it on 1st April 2019“

Oh the irony

mattyfez
    kelvin

we effectively discriminate against them

Don’t worry, soon we’ll be treating all immigrants like dirt, and fining companies just for employing them.

olddog

… Matty – I think thisis the Labour party cracks becoming clearer – you can fence sit for too long. The indicative votes forces the issue. If for no other reason it’s a good thing…

Viewing 40 posts - 64,041 through 64,080 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.