Viewing 40 posts - 64,081 through 64,120 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Tusk said that remainers “are Europeans”. Interesting turn of phrase.

MSP

And I’ve talked to many people from commonwealth and other countries that wonder why it is so much harder/expensive for them to be in the UK . My partner works in a care home and the best/friendliest staff in her opinion are from non-EU countries, but we effectively discriminate against them.

I hope you explained to them hat is because of UK rules, not the EU, the UK could if it wished allow a simple and cheap emigration from commonwealth countries.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just what the hell is labour policy, more contradictions..

When it comes to the Corbyn, you have to really listen / read the words, not the tone. “Confirmatory Referendum” – what, his Un-Negotiated deal v May’s Negotiated deal? How much sugar do you want on your shit sandwich?

Every single ‘man or women on the street’ who wants an second referendum, assumes it will have the option to remain. Unless he says it in plain, simple terms, don’t assume it.

Really, he wants to play both sides, he’s expecting to have the chance of another GE soon and more important that Brexit, he wants to blame the Tories for it.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yes, the answer would be to relax immigration rules for commonwealth people, not increase them for EU citizens.

Del

Really, he wants to play both sides, he’s expecting to have the chance of another GE soon and more important that Brexit, he wants to blame the Tories for it.

In which Labour will have the arses handed to them on a plate. My mp is good, has been campaigning for a PV all along, but unless he stands as independent my vote will go liberal. No ****ING way will I vote for Corbyn’s Labour again, even if it means my MP’s seat falling to conservative.

kimbers

@TurnerGuy

And I’ve talked to many people from commonwealth and other countries that wonder why it is so much harder/expensive for them to be in the UK . My partner works in a care home and the best/friendliest staff in her opinion are from non-EU countries, but we effectively discriminate against them.

blaming the EU for UK government policy, especially ironic when Hostile Envronment May is in power, is exactly the kind of lies & dishonesty that have poisoned the entire debate around brexit

PrinceJohn

Genius.

ddraiggoch
    Free Member

In which Labour will have the arses handed to them on a plate. My mp is good, has been campaigning for a PV all along, but unless he stands as independent my vote will go liberal. No ****ING way will I vote for Corbyn’s Labour again, even if it means my MP’s seat falling to conservative.

Given my previous vows about never again voting for the Lib Dems, and now Corbyn’s behaviour over Brexit, at this rate about the only party I’ll be able to vote for is the Tories. But I suppose at least they’re honest in terms of being up front about how much they’re going to **** you sideways with a telegraph pole.

slowoldman

Ms Leadsom said there was a “real possibility” the PM’s deal could come back for a vote on Thursday or Friday, adding: “If we could simply get the withdrawal agreement bill under way…once we have done that, once we have left the EU, we can then look at what our future relationship will look like.”

I think it would be nice to know what that future relationship might be possible BEFORE leaving. You know, burning bridges/boats and all that.

DrJ

“If we could simply get the withdrawal agreement bill under way…once we have done that, once we have left the EU, we can then look at what our future relationship will look like.”

I refer my honourable friend to the answer I gave earlier (to mefty) on the issue of separating the WA and the PD.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Given my previous vows about never again voting for the Lib Dems, and now Corbyn’s behaviour over Brexit, at this rate about the only party I’ll be able to vote for is the Tories. But I suppose at least they’re honest in terms of being up front about how much they’re going to **** you sideways with a telegraph pole.

Given the next GE is about 4 years away, I’d bet my balls that Corbyn won’t be leading the party by then, the Libs will have a new leader and the leader they had during the disastrous (for them) coalition years is long gone. The Indies may well form a centrist party, with or without the Libs or possibly formed (as they are now) by former members of the Tories and Labour.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ms Leadsom said there was a “real possibility” the PM’s deal could come back for a vote on Thursday or Friday.

Best of luck with that, unless the indicative votes somehow end in favour of the May Deal that deal is deader than a dead thing. It doesn’t matter if the ERG has papped themselves and now suddenly thinks May’s deal is good now, they’ve over-played their hand.

Corbyn and May don’t matter so much any more, the Whips are whipless and MPs aren’t fearful of their leaders.

If this ends in a long delay (and the end of UKIP in the EU Parliament) or Revoke, ironically it will have been the ERG who caused it, if they’d voted for May’s deal, we’d be leaving in 48 hours, but they didn’t.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

any time anyone uses the word “simply” or “just” or similar, its a red flag

PrinceJohn

Dominic Cummings – the director of the official Leave Campaign – has been found to be in contempt of Parliament after refusing to appear before the digital culture, media and sport committee who were looking into fake news.

The Commons privileges committee said his decision not to appear constituted “significant interference” to the work of the committee.

It’s just the gift that keeps giving…

binners

Corbyn and May don’t matter so much any more, the Whips are whipless and MPs aren’t fearful of their leaders.

Theres a labour party MP on Five Live now backing this up entirely. She has no idea if the party is going to whip its MPs on any vote, and then pointed out that it doesn’t matter anyway because everyone will just ignore them anyway. I suppose we could call that ‘Corbynite’? 😀

BoardinBob

Surely someone has done a Downfall parody of May/ the Cabinet discussing this shambles???

DrJ

Best of luck with that, unless the indicative votes somehow end in favour of the May Deal that deal is deader than a dead thing

Not really – May will ignore the indicative votes, bring her deal back on April 11, and then it’s her deal or no deal, as before. The IV are just running down the clock a bit more.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not really – May will ignore the indicative votes, bring her deal back on April 11, and then it’s her deal or no deal, as before. The IV are just running down the clock a bit more.

I don’t think she’s got the backing for that. There’s already a bill in place to prevent ‘no deal’ and she won’t have the backing for her deal now the cat is out of the bag.

The fear of UKIP screwed Cameron and the ERG screwed May.

binners

DrJ – Jeremy Hunt let the cat out of the bag yesterday that thats exactly what she plans to do. Brinkmanship of the most reckless degree. Literally holding a gun to everyones head and saying its this or economic armageddon

It goes without saying that she will ignore whatever happens today, just as she’s ignored every opinion other than her own and the ERG’s from day one

mickmcd
    Free Member

How do you get a civil service job?

PrinceJohn

It would appear that JRM has somewhat annoyed Leave.eu…

binners

So JRM’s an enemy of the People now, too?

It’s hard to keep up

Is Nige still patriotic enough

kelvin

Nige is now suggesting a long delay to “reset” the process.

kelvin

He’s probably talking more sense than Boris and JRM now… but as for who is “patriotic”… that depends whether you’re in with the Beleize & Russia afilliated mob, as far as that twitter account is concerned.

dannyh
    Free Member

So JRM’s an enemy of the People now, too?

It’s hard to keep up

Is Nige still patriotic enough

Strange – it is almost like the Leave Ultras are a bit unhinged. Who’d have thunk it?

kimbers

Schadenfreude overload looking at the replies to that tweet

tjagain

Gardiner does not speak for Labour . This however once again shows how Corbyn is paralysed by his split party.

Jeremy Corbyn is expected to whip Labour MPs to support a Brexit referendum in the indicative votes – but could face a wave of resignations from frontbenchers determined not to back it.

The Guardian understands a delegation of shadow ministers, including known second referendum sceptics Ian Lavery, Jon Trickett and Richard Burgon, held a meeting lasting more than two hours on Tuesday evening with John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor.

zippykona

I know nothing of Tom Watson but he hasn’t annoyed me when he’s been on telly.

Any reason I shouldn’t want him to lead labour?

tjagain

His behaviour when Corbyn was first elected as leader was pretty poor – but he has made up for it since in trying to hold the badly fractured party together which I commend him for. I’d rather have Starmer.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I guess we don’t know much about him as he was still a Junior Minister under Brown He was a Party whip as well). I think made a shrewd move when all the major players were fighting for Leader to go for Dept. Leader.

He’s not perfect, but who is? He’s no Corbynite, but he wasn’t a Blairite either, they had a brief but infamous falling out towards the end of the Blair years, he signed a letter asking Blair to give a date for his departure, Blair’s never-ending ‘I’m going soon’ dying swan act was possibly his second-worst act after the Wars. Labour demanded he withdraw the letter or resign from his Junior Minister post, he resigned and doubled-down on his letter.

He’s called for the end on drugs in the past, generally pro-trade, pro-business and pro-Europe.

He’s been slated for maxing out his expenses allowance on food in the past (he was a big old unit back in the day) which seems a bit of a fatish slur to me.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Talking of needing statesmen instead of the charlatans we’re landed with

Donald Tusk being just that. Just makes you even more convinced that this is where we need to be, and even sadder that we’re where we are

EU president Donald Tusk warns against ‘betraying’ Remain voters who are ‘not represented by UK parliament’

Could not agree more. EU showing their empathy and class, whereas UK Government is displaying the diametric opposite.

UK Government, right now, has frankly become distasteful and increasingly rotten.

mattyfez

So, motions on the table:

Bill Cash motion. **** all to do with anything. Tries to create a new standing order basically giving the government control of the timetable forever. Shows no understanding of the notion of parliamentary sovereignty.

John Baron. No-deal motion. Enforces no-deal on April 12.

Baron again. Demands unilateral exit from backstop. Unable to specify how that would still be a backstop or how it would work.

Boles Common Market 2.0. Stay in single market through Efta but secure exemption to stay in customs union (difficult, to put it mildly). Domestic rules to enforce EU restrictions on free movement (ie 3-month job requirement) and prevent future govt from overturning the plan.

Will Quince. Meaningless gibberish on respecting the referendum result. No positive contribution whatsoever.

Gareth Snell. Demands ‘participation’ in customs union.

Angus Brendan MacNeil. Orders got to revoke Article 50 if we get within four days of no-deal Brexit.

George Eustice. Common Market 1.0 (?). Basically also wants to stay in single market via Efta, but without negotiating customs union membership. Much simpler and more deliverable, but would be more painful, esp in Ireland.

Ian Blackford. Devolved parliaments must consent to Brexit. Bit of a waste of time.

Ken Clarke. Join the customs union. Pass domestic legislation to that effect.

Jeremy Corbyn. Labour plan. Something to do with single market, won’t say exactly what. As clear as a pub toilet.

Joanna Cherry. Very good on no-deal. If we get to just before exit day, the House gets a vote on whether it ants no no-deal. if it does not, we revoke.

Margaret Beckett. The Kyle amendment. Whatever the deal, there must be a public vote to give consent to it. This is the key People’s Vote amendment.

Nicky Morgan. Malthouse Compromise. Blah blah, unicorns. Can’t we all just get along in a brotherhood of fairy stories.

Marcus Fysh. Article 24-flavoured unicorns.

Fysh again. More of the same really, but with a welcome addition of carving out protections for citizens’ rights.

That’s the lot. Some decent stuff in there. Some childish nonsense too. Imagine Speaker will do a pretty good job of weeding one from the other.

molgrips
    Free Member

UK Government, right now, has frankly become distasteful and increasingly rotten.

It’s been like this for a while, but it wasn’t really tested until now.

tjagain

Alyn Smith MEP to the European Parliament: “If we are removed against our will, independence will be our only route back.

I’m asking you to leave a light on, so we can find our way home.”

Donald Tusk and colleagues applauded the speech.

So once again its very clear that iScotland would be looked upon favourably by the EU

flipiddy
    Free Member

He’s uncharismatic compared to some, but not without some personality: genuine and solid. Has been seen wading through mud at Glastonbury Festival, which means he has more in common with the average Joe than Rees-Mogg ever will.

Downsides: His stance on the Iraq War may bring him into question, other than that his voting record is fair.

brakes
    Free Member

Tweet from the Grauniad – “Downing St spox says the government will whip *against* the business motion for this afternoon’s indicative votes”

I don’t understand – are they having another vote on whether they’re going to have indicative votes? This makes no sense.

Houns

Lammy for Labour leader/PM

dissonance

Gardiner does not speak for Labour .

Dont bring minor details like the fact on the same show another Labour MP said the opposite and all the signs are that Labour would support it (after all last set of resignations were from the brexiteer side of the party going against the whip). Just let the cultish froth.
    Although I have to admire the sheer madness of someone saying they would not vote Labour even if it lets the tories win bearing in mind chances that the tories will be taken over by the ERG fan club.

Has been seen wading through mud at Glastonbury Festival,

I hate to break it to you but Glastonbury aint exact common joe terrority nowadays.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Tweet from the Grauniad – “Downing St spox says the government will whip *against* the business motion for this afternoon’s indicative votes”

I don’t understand – are they having another vote on whether they’re going to have indicative votes? This makes no sense.

I think it’s a confirmation thing, when you’re dealing with hundreds of years of precedent in a county obsessed with tradition, you get these sorts of things. It’s like ticking the box to say you’ve read the 9000 word terms and conditions signing up for the latest online service you’ll use once and instantly forget about.

tjagain

Houns

Lammy for Labour leader/PM

A smart guy who speaks well but unfortunately the wrong colour skin given how racism is colouring our political debate.

Viewing 40 posts - 64,081 through 64,120 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.