Viewing 40 posts - 64,001 through 64,040 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Cougar

I think “remainers just want to remain” is a bit dismissive

I don’t want to “just remain,” you’re right, it’s dismissive.

There’s a lot of work we could do, both domestically and within the EU, to improve things and to attempt to address the concerns of the electorate which drove them to vote to leave in the first place. I don’t want to “just” do anything, I want us to sort our shit out and being a prominent and influential member of the EU gives us the strongest foundations to make a start on doing that.

At the risk of repeating myself: reform, not remain.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

What PJM, kelvin, binners said.

edit: and what cougar said.

We really are not better off on our own. We are better off joining forces with our nearest neighbours.

Perhaps what we have with the EU isn’t right, but we won’t change it from the outside, and we will still have to deal with it, but on the outside we’ll have zero influence, none, squat, nada. If we’re in it, we might be able to change it. As pointed out we have the third largest (?) block of MEPs.

Brexit is just beyond stupid. It is cutting off our own nose to spite europe, and europe will simply say “chumps”. They won’t be spited.

I confess thinking it is about time we put all the Leave voters telephone sanitisers on the B ark (after the ERG get the bathtub)

mefty
    Free Member

John Healey was on one of the political shows last week saying Labour were happy with the WA, just the PD which they object to, which does open the prospect of developing a realistic version of Labour’s policy, voting through the WA so we leave, and then having a referendum on the two alternative exit routes.

nick1962
    Free Member

Okay, let’s do “length of trade agreement negotiations” sweepstake … I’ll take “9 years” please, so 2028. That’s nine years without the control we currently have. To gain what? A worse deal than we have in Europe now, but with the freedom to strike deals with USA & China? In the 2030s, If we’re lucky? Maybe never? Pick your own dates… but I think me saying “indefinite” is fair

I agree bureaucracies and intransigent participants don’t make for a speedy process as we can all see however alignment with current and future rules-all trading partners have to comply with the receipient’s trading partners rules to export anyway.A customs union or the various other options as labour propose would also put us in the same position surely?

DrJ

voting through the WA so we leave

I understand that is specifically forbidden in some legislation or other (according to someone who sounded authoritative on Twitter)

Cougar

As pointed out we have the third largest (?) block of MEPs.

Joint third, with Italy (73). France has 74, Germany has 90-odd.

I confess thinking it is about time we put all the Leave voters telephone sanitisers on the B ark

And risk being wiped out by a virulent disease contracted by dirty telephones?

kelvin

Yes Mefty, the Labour leadership are asking for the same as May now, but with some words added that make it look like they’ve saved lots of jobs.

Cougar

I agree bureaucracies and intransigent participants don’t make for a speedy process

It’s not just that. The thing about trade deals that most people miss is, they are insanely complicated. You don’t just rock up to the US, go “fancy a trade deal? Yes? Cool. Pub, then?” The devil, as is often the case, is in the detail.

mefty
    Free Member

according to someone who sounded authoritative on Twitter

Please see if you can find it, would be very interested to see it. Even if it is, then if it was a way out of the impasse I am sure a way could be found to get it to work.

kelvin

Nick, my point was, we currently have control of our trade policy (via EU membership), whereas the all UK Customs Area in the backstop would cede control of our trade policy to the rEU ’till it is replaced. That could be years. And years. And years. And there are some that say there is a risk that it will never happen. You can see why that brings about strong opposition from people of all positions.

mefty
    Free Member

I think he has a point

Spectator letter

arrpee
    Free Member

Tell you one thing: the next Adam Curtis documentary is going to be a **** doozy.

mefty
    Free Member

You can see why that brings about strong opposition from people of all positions.

But not from people who purport to support a permanent customs union.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

<deleted, too slow>

kelvin

Why? I wouldn’t support us being in the EU but with no role for our government in the decisions made, either. Or without MEPs.

DrJ

Please see if you can find it, would be very interested to see it.

Do your own research, LMGIFY, etc.

Oh, OK then – I think think this is the relevant bit 🙂

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/759020/14_November_Explainer_for_the_agreement_on_the_withdrawal_of_the_United_Kingdom_of_Great_Britain_and_Northern_Ireland_from_the_European_Union.pdf

Implementing the Withdrawal Agreement
    12. Section 13 of the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018 provides that the House of
    Commons must vote to approve the Withdrawal Agreement and Political
    Declaration on the future relationship before the Withdrawal Agreement can be
    ratified and then enter into force. They must also be subject to a ‘take note’ motion
    in the Lords.

mefty
    Free Member

So on that basis they could approve a PD that contemplates two distinct future paths.

ctk
    Free Member

God knows him many ukip meps will be elected if we remain. Might be better off without.

DrJ

Dunno but I think the key bit is that the PD has to be agreed and signed along with the WA – we can’t agree the WA and say “trust us, we’ll come up with something for the PD later”.

IANAL so may be totally wrong!

P-Jay
    Free Member

God knows him many ukip meps will be elected if we remain. Might be better off without.

A big fat 0.

Firstly the UK actually knows the EU parliament exists now and will vote for it.
    Secondly and more importantly, if we remain it can only happen via revoking A50, which means we’re in for a decade or more, no one is going to continue to fund UKIP, whatever happens in the weeks and months ahead.

kelvin

The PD is nonsense though… it’s just there to reassure the UK that the rEU won’t screw it, as long as it looks after citizens, Ireland and existing financial commitments.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

God knows him many ukip meps will be elected if we remain. Might be better off without

I’ll take it they are lazy gobshites who simply take money in exchange for nothing but at least that doing nothing mean they can’t get in the way of my straight bananas.

I do love these come on remainers let’s just leave cause you can have a free squirrel.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

free squirrel?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Can we get Paxo out of cryogenic storage?

I wonder how many leave votes were a result of his documentary ?

Cougar

The petition has received a response.

This response was given on 26 March 2019
    This Government will not revoke Article 50. We will honour the result of the 2016 referendum and work with Parliament to deliver a deal that ensures we leave the European Union.

The full reply from DexEU is on the front page of the petition.

Can’t say as I’m totally shocked, but FFS.

kelvin

Ostrich approach.

Still, I have a feeling that eventually they will have to discuss it in parliament, like it or not.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh the full text is all there

British people cast their votes once again in the 2017 General Election where over 80% of those who voted, voted for parties, including the Opposition, who committed in their manifestos to upholding the result of the referendum.

This Government stands by this commitment.

Revoking Article 50 would break the promises made by Government to the British people, disrespect the clear instruction from a democratic vote, and in turn, reduce confidence in our democracy. As the Prime Minister has said, failing to deliver Brexit would cause “potentially irreparable damage to public trust”, and it is imperative that people can trust their Government to respect their votes and deliver the best outcome for them.

Department for Exiting the European Union.

Bingo Tastic!! It’s a full house there of WILL OF THE PEOPLE!!

We don’t care so long as we can pin some red white and blue ribbons on it

And for added LOL’s I bet they really loved putting it on the schedule!!

Parliament will debate this petition
    Parliament will debate this petition on 1 April 2019.

kelvin

The thing is, the petitions are not supposed to be enacted by government, they are supposed to result in a parliamentary debate. To resist a debate says far more than just sticking to your policy.

kelvin

1 April 2019.

So there will be a debate?

norbert-colon

That Paxman vid – kinell

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There has to be if it’s hit the 100k limit, although as Mrs May likes to say she is listening to people, well not all people, and certainly not any who disagree with her.

Cougar

Parliament will debate this petition on 1 April 2019.

Oh, I totally missed that. Nice catch.

Cougar

There has to be if it’s hit the 100k limit,

And yet,

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revoke-article-50-petition-debate-date-parliament-april-a8841041.html

The Commons Petitions Committee said the petition, which passed 5.75 million signatures on Tuesday evening, was “the most signed petition ever received on the House of Commons and Government petitions site”.

MPs will also debate petitions calling for a second EU referendum, which has received more than 120,000 signatures, and another signed by more than 140,000 demanding the UK leave with or without a deal on 29 March.

The committee said it had decided to have a single debate on the three petitions “because it wanted to ensure they were debated as soon as possible, so they would be less likely to be overtaken by events”.

… I have a bad feeling about this.

zippykona

Lets give the **** 5.75 million emails to read.

https://email.number10.gov.uk/

kimbers

Yep erg devouring itself as they face May’s deal or watch Brexit skip away.

Aron banks attacking them I Twitter, might being called a traitor & Norris getting booed at Bruges meeting for saying he’d back May’s deal if she resigns (was always about power for him)

The lies were bound to catch up with them eventually 😃

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/26/brexit-indicative-votes-grand-wizards-ultras

Some brilliant lines in here…

Take the ERG vice-chair, Mark Francois, a sort of inflatable idiot who has spent the past few months bobbing around the broadcast studios

juanking

That’s a class article, “The Fellowship of the Ringpieces”…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Strange thing pissing off a lot of the electorate!!

fadda

Thanks, zippy – email sent.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Tomorrow will be a shitfest of two faced back stabbers showing in epic proportions their true colours…can’t wait

binners
Viewing 40 posts - 64,001 through 64,040 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.