Viewing 40 posts - 63,961 through 64,000 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • dantsw13

Has anyone else seen the musical “Hamilton”?

Some of the similarities are freaky.

Lyrics include:
    “You need congressional approval, but you don’t have the votes”
    “He wasn’t in the room when it happened” (Aaron Burr being sidelined from decision making, like TM sat outside the EUCO)

binners

Rumours TM will address the 1922 committee. Will it be the big announcement, or just another bollocking?

Either. Who knows? Who cares? It doesn’t really matter, does it? Surely to god there can’t be anyone left in the country who believes a word she says any more? Or trusts her to do anything more noble or inclusive than continue to shore up her ridiculous ‘deal’. She certainly won’t resign, and she’ll ignore or actively obstruct any indicative votes, and everything else. Head in the sand.

Jeremy Hunt has been on the radio this morning hinting that she’s going to try and bring it back again on April 10th. so “nothing has changed”. She’ll sit in her bunker, ignore everyone (ERG Excepted), then just try and employ the same reckless brinkmanship that has got us to where we are.

Hope everyones getting ready for the now seemingly inevitable No Deal crash out in a couple of weeks

mefty
    Free Member

All I can say is thank god for Gina Miller!!

The Meaningful Vote doesn’t have anything to do with Gina Miller, all that case did was impose a duty on the government to get parliamentary authority to trigger Article 50. Parliamentary approval would always be required to enter into a treaty, hence there is a long history of tussles over EU treaties – see Maastricht.

kimbers

there is some hilarious baklash against Mogg, Fabricant etc who are now saying they should take May’s deal

the hard leave public that have been parroting their no deal spiel for the last 6 months are suddenly very confused

suella braverman on newsnight yesterday came out with some absolutely barking cliaims 9Unchallenged) about the backstop, which is only feeding into the backlash the switchers are getting

the self-immolation of the Tories over Brexit is truly epic

remember when cameron said this?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9820277/David-Cameron-I-will-settle-the-Europe-question-with-EU-referendum.html

dantsw13

Mefty – sorry , you are quite right. Wasn’t there an amendment to the Article 50 legislation requiring the govt to come back to parliament for approval?

mefty
    Free Member

Not for approval but for the nature of the approval, the alternative to voting down the deal would have been no deal as originally drafted.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Part of the issue is that news programmes continue to give airtime to guests with controversial views that are portrayed as fact. I know that this may upset Mefty (genuinely no offence intended BTW) but we need to look at our media carefully and put measures in place to ensure that at the very least assertions are fact-checked and challenged.

Cougar

Remember the days when people talking utter rot would be challenged by journalists? Can we get Paxo out of cryogenic storage?

Simpler times.

kimbers

Part of the problem with bravermans interview yesterday was that it was by video link right at the end of the show, there wasnt time to challenge her BS & she knew it
    -So she was free to spout whatever lies she liked

Its not good for the country

ferrals
    Free Member

Sounds like the ERG are going to be largely irrelevant with respect to getting May’s deal through, if sky news are to be believed. On twitter Tamara Cohen saying her sources in DUP is that there position is now they would rather a long brexit delay and a new Tory leader to May’s deal so will still vote aginst.

That bung was money well spent then wasn’t it Theresa??!

slowoldman

I’ve been genuinely shocked at how little can be done to stop an intransigent and autocratic PM just doing what the hell they like

Yes I’ve been quite shocked by that. At least this in one area where I agree with the leavers – parliament needs sovereignty!

fingerbang
    Free Member

It’s labour (and Tory) rebels who hold the balance of power if DUP won’t shift though

BoardinBob

Remember when no deal was better than a bad deal

Changed days, eh?

kelvin

Why do people keep repeating the idea that people voted for “parliamentary sovereignty”…?

dantsw13

There were 8 Lab voting with the govt last night. 2 ex-con now TIGers, plus Grieve/Boles, without the DUP, the ERG are irrelevant now.

dantsw13

Kelvin – “take back control” “Our Sovereignty “

The natural conclusion of this is the three pillars of Judiciary, Legislature & Executive. They are also known as Parliamentary sovereignty.

Leavers bang on about it all the time, but don’t like when those pillars actually do their job, especially if it doesn’t meet their agenda.

The broken pillar is the Executive, not the Legislature.

kelvin

“take back control” “Our Sovereignty “

For many, those nebulous slogans were about taking control away from politicians, by voting against the wishes of the MPs in parliament in a plebiscite.

dantsw13

No, they were taglines of the Leave campaign, about not being controlled by the EU.

kelvin

Think about why emotive vague slogans were used. Think back to how the referendum was pushed as chance to send a signal to British politicians.

slowoldman

She’ll sit in her bunker, ignore everyone

the self-immolation of the Tories over Brexit is truly epic

No further comment required.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

EDIT: @kelvin
    That’s true – but for me the “control” they wanted to take back was from Europe, not from our politicians. But yeah, as you say, nebulous slogans – one thing to one person, another thing to another.

I can imagine the slogans if there was a Peoples Vote. Jeez!

dissonance

According to a survey 5% of remain voters and 10% of leave voters think the UK government have handled Brexit well. WTF?
    Just goes to show deluded people on both sides.
    The 10% of remain and 9% of leave who think they have done “neither well or badly” are almost as odd.
    I guess they might be thinking its all some cunning masterplan which will emerge at the last minute.

molgrips
    Free Member

we need to look at our media carefully and put measures in place to ensure that at the very least assertions are fact-checked and challenged

Yes.

“Thank you Mr MP, please stay in the studio whilst we fact check everything you’ve said – we’ll come back to you after this next piece on puppies.”

nick1962
    Free Member

Out of interest what parts of the EU/UK Withdrawal Agreement to folk on here object to?
    Clearly those who wish to remain object to leaving full stop.The Hard Line Brexiteers want to exit on WTO terms and the DUP (and others) don’t like the backstop.A quick Google doesn’t throw up anything specicifically that Labour object to though I recall they want to maintain worker’s and environmental rights.Lots of talk on here about the middle ground and being sensisble so please enlighten me what do you object to in it?
    https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8453#fullreport

ferrals
    Free Member

I don’t object to the WA personally. I’d rather remain, but if we are going to leave it gets the job started. What I do object to is the refusal to consider the customs union and singlemarket which is ruled out in the political declaration by the highlighting that the UK wont accept freedom of movement.

Cougar

“Thank you Mr MP, please stay in the studio whilst we fact check everything you’ve said – we’ll come back to you after this next piece on puppies.”

Or you could have interviewers who knew what they were talking about in the first place…

Lots of talk on here about the middle ground and being sensisble so please enlighten me what do you object to in it?

Simply put: it pleases no-one. It looks on paper to be a compromise but it’s not. It gains us absolutely nothing, we’ll be in broadly the same place we are now (if we’re lucky) only we will no longer have a seat at the table – we will be rule takers rather than rule makers. So much for “taking back control,” hey? Remainers don’t want it (obvs) and leavers don’t want it either.

This is in part why May’s deal keeps getting rejected, I suspect. Everyone looks at it and goes “what’s the point?” We will at best be slightly worse off than we are now. This is the circle which cannot be squared however you look at it.

kelvin

We (our government) currently has the ultimate say over trade agreements we sign up to. This Withdrawal Agreement says that we give up that say, for an indefinite amount of time. Goodbye control…

If all you care about is fewer EEA people wanting, and being able, to come here… or just want them to have second class status once they are here… it’s a good Agreement for you. No gains for anyone else… it puts us in a worse position as regards absolutely anything and everything I can think of.

slowoldman

Out of interest what parts of the EU/UK Withdrawal Agreement to folk on here object to?

I’m a remainer which I think sums up what I object to.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Just the general lowering of living standards / economy / all round worsening of international standing.
    Ireland, that has potential to go all kinds of pear shaped when the backstop expires.
    Trade with EU area VAT will knacker it, everywhere else we won’t be under EU trade agreements and will have to hammer out agreements with far less clout so they aren’t going to be as good.
    Movement, last year I was considering going contracting in europe, now I’m not, lots of others will think the same.
    Farming will be, I think, hit hard by exit from CAP, we’ll have less cash for subsidy and see fast rising food prices.
    Probably other stuff, mainly that whatever WA we have we’ll be turning over the US and going “please” and they’ll say “bend over”.

Some of those points may be a little naive, I accept.

binners

Mays deal really is the worst of all worlds (for all the reasons listed above) and renders the whole exercise completely and utterly pointless

Well… theres the blue passports, I suppose….

Cougar

ION, this chap has done some interesting analysis on the petition.

nick1962
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’m actually defending May’s deal or Brexit for that matter…

What I do object to is the refusal to consider the customs union and singlemarket which is ruled out in the political declaration by the highlighting that the UK wont accept freedom of movement.

You can have a custom’s union without free movement.
    Theresa May will never agree to a custom’s union…. but I suspect that is what we will have in anything but name post negotiation.

We (our government) currently has the ultimate say over trade agreements we sign up to. This Withdrawal Agreement says that we give up that say, for an indefinite amount of time.

Do we? Or until an agreement is reached.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Because EVERYTHING about the withdrawal agreement affects me, people I’m close to and resolves nothing, it merely ensures that we’re locked into decades of negotiation with our closest neighbours for what will invariably be a worse deal that what we have.

We cannot have different regulations, different standards to the closest trading bloc and expect an open border. That’s not how international trade works.

Make no mistake, May’s so called “deal” (which is merely a withdrawal agreement) is designed to give one political party breathing space to plaster over the cracks of division and to mitigate the inevitable economic pain which would otherwise consign the bastards to the electoral doldrums for a generation. Sorry, but my attitude is basically ***k ’em, especially those who’ve decided that our futures are worth throwing under their red bus with b*****s printed on the side. I want the Conservative Party to end up suffering the pain they want to inflict upon the rest of us for ideological reasons, nothing less will do.

kelvin

thepurist

I believe the appropriate saying is “Hoist on his own petard”.  Couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke.

dantsw13

Who is he? This analysis is what I would expect the govt to be doing rather than sticking its thick Brexity fingers in its ears.

kelvin

We (our government) currently has the ultimate say over trade agreements we sign up to. This Withdrawal Agreement says that we give up that say, for an indefinite amount of time.

Do we? Or until an agreement is reached.

Okay, let’s do “length of trade agreement negotiations” sweepstake … I’ll take “9 years” please, so 2028. That’s nine years without the control we currently have. To gain what? A worse deal than we have in Europe now, but with the freedom to strike deals with USA & China? In the 2030s, If we’re lucky? Maybe never? Pick your own dates… but I think me saying “indefinite” is fair.

binners

We cannot have different regulations, different standards to the closest trading bloc and expect an open border. That’s not how international trade works.

Indeed. And once we’re out, the free-marketeers will not so much begin a race to the bottom on rights and regulations as to put them into freefall. If you want an idea of where they truly want to take us then look to the ‘Export Processing Zones’ of Burma. Thats what their ‘Freeport’ idea amounts too. Tax and regulation-free enclaves.

They want to turn us into a mix between a tax haven for the rich and a sweatshop for the rest of us. It goes without saying that that model doesn’t allow for a welfare state, NHS or anything else deemed ‘luxuries’ for the proles

nick1962
    Free Member

They want to turn us into a mix between a tax haven for the rich and a sweatshop for the rest of us. It goes without saying that that model doesn’t allow for a welfare state, NHS or anything else deemed ‘luxuries’ for the proles

Not read it all but I’m sure some Labour wag ,even “6th form grandad” would have picked up the abolition of the welfare state if it was mentioned in the WA.Try reigning in your usual over the top inaccurate ,hyperbole and just quote a para reference in the document.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Clearly those who wish to remain object to leaving full stop.The Hard Line Brexiteers want to exit on WTO terms and the DUP (and others) don’t like the backstop.A quick Google doesn’t throw up anything specicifically that Labour object to though I recall they want to maintain worker’s and environmental rights.Lots of talk on here about the middle ground and being sensisble so please enlighten me what do you object to in it?

I think “remainers just want to remain” is a bit dismissive as any aspect of the deal that removes rights and freedoms is a negative.

Specifically I would rather we were at the head of the EU, with absolute veto power and lots of control within our largest trading partner, if you looking a specific failings of the ‘deal’ then end of freedom of movement and cross-boarder services.

Viewing 40 posts - 63,961 through 64,000 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.