Viewing 40 posts - 59,721 through 59,760 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

I am in the Leavers are thick as shxt camp.

Stand up guy …a leaver admitting

slowoldman

Well I think he’s got a point Cougar. It’s true they did just vote to leave. They didn’t consider the consequences, they weren’t interested. It’s the job of “them others” to make everything work OK afterwards. As I have always said, Brexit is an act of faith. No evidence or reasoning is required.

Interesting page though. They don’t seem to have heard up-skirting has been made illegal.

Cougar

Well, quite.

I’m more and more convinced that it’s an elaborate troll. The site responded to one post with “it’ll be fine, just stock up on lettuce.”

DrJ

Meanwhile Kate Hoey continues her pathetic little sniping at Guy Verhofstadt.

Is this the one where she accuses him of being an unelected bureaucrat? I’m absolutely no admirer of Verthofstadt(*) – it’s people like him that would make me want to leave the EU – but it’s profoundly disturbing that Kate Hoey knows so little of the EU she is so keen to leave.

* https://www.thepressproject.gr/article/62406/Guy-Verhofstadt-the-EU-President-and-the-bid-for-Greek-water

Cougar

I’m more and more convinced that it’s an elaborate troll.

I’ve just been told, “You are obviously either an ai bot or a humourless **** who doesn’t understand memes or metaphor… Which is no surprise as the eu is trying to ban memes…” which pretty much clinches it for me as a troll / satire page.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Brexit is an act of faith. No evidence or reasoning is required.

Oh please don’t turn this into a religion thing STW will end up melting down in a massive Chernobyl poof of smoque….or a humanist funeral

Cougar

Eh, you’re the one equating faith with religion. It’s possible to have faith in non-religious things too.

I don’t see brexit as a religion. It’s more of a cult.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Eh, you’re the one equating faith with religion. It’s possible to have faith in non-religious things too.

wrong again..

slowoldman

Who’s wrong again, you or Cougar and me?

binners

Just watching ‘This Week’ on catch up

Seeing some corbynite half-wit explain how, yes, Jeremy Corbyn is rabidly anti-EU and enabling Brexit, but that’s all fine and great and brilliant because it’s Jeremy, and he’s just great isn’t he?

You’re enabling a right wing coup you utter ****-wits!!

kimbers

29th March 2019 is going to be amazing! I’m going to wake up in my Union Jack jim-jams to the sound of a squadron of Spitfires racing overhead and leaving a trail of hot buttered crumpets behind them
    I’ll run to the corner shop past all the British children who are laughing and squealing with excitement as they make a beautiful statue of the queen out of happy wriggling bulldog puppies – with two corgis for her eyebrows!
    Bunting flutters everywhere and the man from the betting shop steps into the street – “Guess what! England just won the World Cup and The Ashes and The Grand National and here’s the best bit – Boris put a bet on it for everyone! you’re all MILLIONAIRES!!!”
    The red arrows fly overhead dropping fish and chips as I walk into the corner shop, get my morning paper and go to the counter. “How much please?” I say to the Asian lad there. “1 pence, everything in the whole shop now costs just 1p!” he laughs, “leave it on the counter, I’m off back to Pakistan – we all are!”
    And he’s right! Outside in the streets jolly old Nigel Farage is leading a huge crowd of happy foreigners – Turks, Poles, Romanians, Syrians – there’s even a few English people with heavy suntans mixed up in there! Nigel’s playing Rule Britannia on a long pipe, rather like the pipe that takes the gas into your oven, and they’re all following and smiling and talking foreign, bless them!
    Just then Boris flies overhead in a Concorde made of Bank of England gold – “Don’t worry!” he laughs “I’ve cut out all the bits the French made!” and with that he crashes into the ground at 1200 miles an hour, along with the economy, the country and all the dozy nostalgic foreigner-fearing **** who fell for his bullshit.

Writer beautifully trolls Leavers with comic description of Brexit day

grahamt1980

Latest from the guardian
    Suggestion that cross party will say we back your deal to may, but then you have to put it to the public with either accept the deal or remain

ransos
    Free Member

I think the best way to heal a deeply divided country is by calling people stupid.

slowoldman

Heal? I’m putting together proposals for partition. I’m working on a map which gives UKRemain all the coastline. Well let’s be realistic, the Leavers aren’t going to want to go anywhere are they or have any contact with the outside world? Funnily enough my plan also gives UKRemain most of the pretty bits. Odd how that works out.

dannyh
    Free Member

I think the best way to heal a deeply divided country is by calling people stupid.

Me too. At least that way some of them might stay inside and not vote for stuff they have absolutely no idea about again.

If people don’t like being called stupid, then they shouldn’t do stupid things.

If the car driver that close-passed me yesterday when all he had to do was wait five seconds objects to being called a ****, then he shouldn’t act like a ****.

You can’t have it both ways.

dazh

One of the things I’ve come to realise about all this labour/corbyn enabling Brexit stuff is that it was pretty stupid to think otherwise. We all hung on to the hope that labour could/should stop it all but there was absolutely no reason to suggest they would. They did after all campaign at the last election to implement Brexit, so protesting that they are doing just that seems a little daft.

kimbers

everyone knows that manifesto pledges are writ in water

& ultimately with the overriding goal of helping those at the bottom, Brexit being set to hurt those the most, most people assumed that would be Corbyns constructive ambiguity would last as long as necessary to kill it

dazh

everyone knows that manifesto pledges are writ in water

I’m sure the Liberal Democrat’s would agree 😀

Seriously though, for anyone who was interested in finding out, labour’s and corbyn’s position on Brexit has always been pretty clear. It’s pretty silly to ignore that and then complain that they’re not doing what you assumed or hoped they would.

dogbone

labour’s and corbyn’s position on Brexit has always been pretty clear.

Free movement of goods but not people? The thing the EU ruled out 2 years ago?

dannyh
    Free Member

Just red-tinged cakeeatism as opposed to the Tory version.

When it rapidly became apparent that we weren’t going to be able to send squadrons of Lancasters to get our cake and that the E.U. were going to be united and consistent in saying ‘no, it doesn’t work like that’, it kicked off the last two and a half years. Two and a half wasted years that can basically be summarized as “shit, we’ve made a massive balls up here, but the one thing we cannot, MUST NOT, do is admit it”.

dudeofdoom

I don’t see brexit as a religion. It’s more of a cult.

It’s a fking death cult.

Think I said this 500pages ago 😉 when we didn’t know what was going on.

bigrich

this myth of english exceptionalism is a damaging thing.

kelvin

At least someone is looking beyond the name calling…

…anyone still calling all Leave voters either stupid or racist is part of the problem.

dudeofdoom

I don’t think you should name call though and the whole leaver/remainder thing is just another tool to manipulate people.

Calling people out as stupid just galvanises them to more stupidity.

kelvin

Seriously though, for anyone who was interested in finding out, labour’s and corbyn’s position on Brexit has always been pretty clear.

I’m not sure “Labour” and “Corbyn” have held the same position on Brexit at any point since he became leader, have they? Keeping a “referendum with a Remain option” on the table, while also perusing Brexit at any cost, seeking full access to the Single Market, while ruling out FoM… clearly a complete contradictory mess…

…and as for “not a single job lost”… that might be a “clear position”, but it’s lying to people, isn’t it. Telling people what they want to hear, with no regard for the real life effects on those people of the policy you espouse.

dudeofdoom

this myth of english exceptionalism is a damaging thing.

And possibly a history tinted by rather good war films where we pluckily single handily won the war.

dudeofdoom

I’m not suggesting we did/didn’t before it all kicks off !!!!

rone

The right wing coup has been active for a while now.

Being in the EU hasn’t prevented it.

The only thing that would stop it would be a left-wing government. That isn’t hard to grasp.

binners

Being in the EU hasn’t prevented it.

Theres a very good reason that the far right headbangers in the Tory party want us out of the EU. Thats because it prevents them taking a torch to the things they don’t like… environmental controls, workers rights etc, etc…

Once out, there will be a bonfire of all those things. They’re looking forward to having a field day and destroying all the social progress the labour party has ever made

A lot of labour MP’s are belatedly coming round to the fact that this is now a looming possibility, and it is being enabled at every step by the labour front bench. I think what we’ve seen this week is Corbyn and his cabal laying the ground ready for whipping their MPs to vote through Mays deal.

That will mean the end of the labour party in its present form, but that doesn’t mean they won’t do it. I struggle to see any logic in anything going on on either front bench. Its like some kind of collective insanity has taken hold

dannyh
    Free Member

If you were in control, what would you change first about life in the UK?

I wonder what Caroline Lucas is going to say when the answer to that question is ‘get rid of all the coloureds’.

The trouble is that Leavers say some things that are reasonable and a lot of things that aren’t. The fact is, though, that not one of the reasonable things (regional inequality for example) will be made better by Brexit. The Leave campaign WAS a Trojan Horse for racism, though. Why else would Farage’s immigrant line look so swarthy in complexion? I don’t think it would have had the same effect if it had been made up of wholesome looking Scandinavians……

I do actually think that Leave supporters who have seen the error of their ways deserve respect.

slowoldman

Meanwhile in the fevered heads of the Sunday Express

Plot

theotherjonv

A curry house too! Not Rules, or a proper pie and mash place! Off with their heads!

dannyh
    Free Member

Also, on the whole “Don’t call those sweet old Leavers stupid” thing…..

I thought one of the major things that Leavers were ‘fed up of’ was political correctness or ‘beating around the bush’ whilst being afraid of causing offence?

If so, getting all hurt by being called ‘stupid’ because their actions were manifestly stupid comes across a bit…….oh, now what is that phrase again……oh, yes, that’s right SNOWFLAKE.

I’m more than happy to listen to reasoned arguments why Brexit will be good for the country, it is just that in the past (nearly 1500) pages, I cannot recall a single compelling reason why Brexit is a good idea.

I will not be forgiving nor forgetting if we voluntarily go down the pan. And if I ever find myself in a position (perhaps a queue for a food bank – who knows) and there is a Leaver there who says “I can’t believe it, this is terrible, I never voted for this” the last words they are ever likely to hear will be “Yes you did”.

dazh

I struggle to see any logic in anything going on on either front bench.

The logic is is the same as it’s always been. Both parties are fighting prevent a split that will make them unelectable as a future govt. the solution is probably  a cross-party agreement for ‘the good of the country’. That also will result in both parties exploding. If that happens the far right will have a massive opportunity to fill the vacuum. We should be careful what we wish for.

kelvin

Anyone who cites “fear of what the far right will do” as a reason for enabling Brexit, which was backed by the far right from across the world, can get in the sea.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ll bet the Curry House is happy, though. I guess they could be described as ‘political heavyweights’, but they definitely can be in more literal terms.

I reckon we’re talking poppadoms, starters, mains, rice, naan and a vegetable side each. Minimum.

Good lads!

dannyh
    Free Member

The logic is is the same as it’s always been. Both parties are fighting prevent a split that will make them unelectable as a future govt. the solution is probably a cross-party agreement for ‘the good of the country’. That also will result in both parties exploding. If that happens the far right will have a massive opportunity to fill the vacuum. We should be careful what we wish for.

Is that a long way of saying “appeasing the racists within their own party”?

binners

Looks like May is trying to delay the legally binding vote even further, by moving it back in to March.

Can-kicking has now become an absolutely insane form of brinksmanship. What will the wording of the vote be now?

You now have two options:

1) My shitty deal
    2) Economic Armageddon

So whats it going to be?

dazh

Anyone who cites “fear of what the far right will do”

You do realise how the far right operate don’t you? It’s not appeasement, just hard pragmatism. If the likes of JRM and Farage are to be stopped, you don’t go and blow up the two major institutions that form the bedrock of our political system.

kelvin

Delivering the policies of the Far Right, to stop “their people” gaining power, has got us to where we are today. And it will keep sliding that way… it will never stop… unless you take a stand.

Viewing 40 posts - 59,721 through 59,760 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.