Viewing 40 posts - 55,521 through 55,560 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • olddog

Can nicola sturgeon trigger a vote of no confidence

Yes – if you mean get SNP generally- but no point as Labour would abstain and wait for their own vote

SNP are politicing – if Corbyn initiated vote doesn’t work then it’s a stick beat him with for not doing it sooner when they asked

scotroutes

Can nicola sturgeon trigger a vote of no confidence

No. She isn’t an MP.

thecaptain
    Free Member

It’s difficult for anyone other than the official opposition to do it for technical reasons (in short, only the official opposition get regular time to debate their own motions). Not completely impossible for someone else to do it but rumour has it Labour are trying to sound out DUP to see if/when they will commit to it.

binners

Nice to watch Qt and see Caroline Lucas stepping up to be leader of the opposition as the useless **** who’s meant to be doing the job can’t really be arsed

And David Davis? How he’s got the bare-faced front to be pontificating on the subject given his half-arsed contribution to this utter shambles! FFS!!

Maybe we could put him against a wall while we all throw our shoes at the ****?

kimbers

Vote Leave ‘econonist’ &. general right-wing slimeball, really plumbing the depths here…

binners

Stay classy

dissonance

really plumbing the depths here

WTF? Even if you did believe it how unaware would you need to be to think it would be a good idea to share such a moronic idea?

Looking at some of the other rubbish he has written though I guess self awareness is not one of his natural qualities.

muckytee
    Free Member

A few things I don’t understand with the current scenario, if we by some means we remain, how would we stand within the EU, how would we confront any future issues we may have with the EU, as we would be in a weaker position than what we were pre referendum, as it’s not like we would decide to leave again right.? Their attitude could well be ‘shut it Britain, just be glad we let you stay’..

Also granting the UK a good deal would be suicidal for the EU surely, as if we leave and do well out of it, then that will set a precedent for other EU members and in turn spell the end of the EU..?

Additionally as I see it the UK has everything to lose; but what has the EU to lose should negotiations break down and a no deal scenario occur, with that in mind TM is not negotiating but making a plea to the EU, their leverage is no deal and various other consequences, what’s our leverage?

Just a few thoughts..

pondo

The thing about remaining is, it leaves us in exactly the same position we’re in now, which is why the majority of people didn’t want to leave.

theotherjonv

Mme May, our answer is…..Non!

anagallis_arvensis

Do parliament have to vote for no deal crash out? Or will it just happen at end of march? Parliament need to have a vote dont they but is that just on the “deal”? Whats the mechanism going forward on this mess? Do Boris and his chums win if we just keep delaying?

kerley
    Free Member

Do parliament have to vote for no deal crash out?

Don’t think they have to vote but they will as they have to decide whether to go with No Deal as the option. Luckily we have May as leader and she didn’t get replace with someone less likely to put forward a vote.

kelvin

The rEU saw what happened in the UK parliament, and toughened up the language around the back stop for Ireland… we don’t look very trustworthy as regards the GFA right now…

Klunk
    Free Member

I keep hearing the first verse of the boxer rattling around my head

I am just a poor boy
    Though my story’s seldom told
    I have squandered my resistance
    For a pocket full of mumbles, such are promises
    All lies and jests
    Still a man hears what he wants to hear
    And disregards the rest

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also granting the UK a good deal would be suicidal for the EU surely, as if we leave and do well out of it, then that will set a precedent for other EU members and in turn spell the end of the EU..?

First up you need to look at this from the non UK/EU perspective. The. UK deal sets up a new class of deals with the eu for other countries to look at. This is not about punishment or warnings but about maintaining what they have, their principles and the rules they have.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Do parliament have to vote for no deal crash out?

No. It will happen by default as the date is legislated. Given the sheer incompetence of our government and parliament, it looks more and more like the likely outcome.

Brexit and the “meaningful vote”: The Final Countdown?

epicyclo

Am I missing something?

This whole scenario sounds like a brilliant opportunity for the pro EU party, the LibDems.

I don’t hear them yelling from the rooftops. Why?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They could be shouting as loud as they can, somebody needs to listen or more correctly broadcast them. By the time we have done remain con, leave con, rabid leave con, leave lab, remain lab who us still listening.

cchris2lou

I can imagine the Brexshitters are going mental at the EU stance.
    When actually they have created this whole mess.

rugbydick

mrmo
    Free Member

Am I missing something?

This whole scenario sounds like a brilliant opportunity for the pro EU party, the LibDems.

I don’t hear them yelling from the rooftops. Why?

Who controls the media? Where would they get access to a platform.

Klunk
    Free Member

the Brexit means Brexit is understandable when you realize the Maybot is more an “expert system” of fixed responses than actual AI

martinhutch

EU 27 have finally lost patience with this shitshow of a government. And who can blame them?

thepurist

the Brexit means Brexit is understandable when you realize the Maybot is more an “expert system” of fixed responses than actual AI

As someone almost once said, “I think we’ve had quite enough of expert (systems)”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Who controls the media? Where would they get access to a platform.

Well if Brexiters are to be beloved a metropolitan elite of remainers who want to oppress debate.

slowoldman

Don’t think they have to vote but they will as they have to decide whether to go with No Deal as the option.

They don’t have to “go with No Deal”. No Deal is what will currently happen if May’s deal continues to be unacceptable to the House. Unless A50 is rescinded.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

how much are we going to charge EU nationals for their VISA exemptions?

thepurist

Unless A50 is rescinded

Except doing that is political suicide for whichever party does it. So the only option is to share the blame and get a cross party agreement that “we don’t like the deal on offer, don’t want no deal and don;t have time to renegotiate so let’s have a rethink” but who the hell has the political stature and acumen to broker that? Oh and then you’ll get a whole bunch of people who are hacked off that “politicians don’t listen to the people” and we end up with some populist numpty in charge. Though right now I’m not sure that’d be worse than the status quo.

dannyh
    Free Member

I keep hearing the first verse of the boxer rattling around my head

One of my favourite songs – and the lyrics can be applied in lots of ways. I love the ‘hidden verse’ that they only sang occasionally live (and it could be thought of as apt here as well):

Now the years are rolling by me
    They are rockin’ evenly
    I am older than I once was
    And younger than I’ll be, that’s not unusual
    No it isn’t strange
    After changes upon changes
    We are more or less the same
    After changes we are more or less the same

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A bit like asking what screws we are going to use on our space ships from our new space port that one….

PrinceJohn

Additionally as I see it the UK has everything to lose; but what has the EU to lose should negotiations break down and a no deal scenario occur, with that in mind TM is not negotiating but making a plea to the EU, their leverage is no deal and various other consequences, what’s our leverage?

Listen to the leave side – they have more to lose than us.

Like you I have no idea what that might be, they’ve always held all the cards, it’s like playing poker where you only have a single card, & that card is a 2.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I can imagine the Brexshitters are going mental at the EU stance.
    When actually they have created this whole mess.

No this is great for them. The more things get tied in knots, the more likely it is we crash out in March. ERG wet dream.

Problem is, everyone is running down the clock as a tactic. As the threat of no deal gets ever closer, the chances are May’s Withdrawal Agreement gets voted through (10 years of negotiations to follow) to avoid it.

We are in the shit at this point.

kelvin

For holidays? Hopefully just a reasonable admin fee. For work visas…? I expect that will end up being an expensive nightmare for all involved… deliberately. The Home Office has recent form.

mrmo
    Free Member

For work visas…? I expect that will end up being an expensive nightmare for all involved… deliberately. The Home Office has recent form.

Which then means, why bother with the UK as an operational base.

somafunk

Just heard that last night in the EU negotiations that angela merkel interrupted may’s speech on a number of occasions to ask “just what is it you want?”.

Theresa may, the conservatives, brexiteers are all a **** laughing stock

mrmo
    Free Member

Theresa may, the conservatives, brexiteers are all a **** laughing stock

And if i didn’t have time and money invested in a life in the UK i would be seriously inclined to say f*** it and start looking for a new job on the continent. (i am UK/Irish dual so not an issue before anyone says anything)

willard

I did that, made the choice to move here, but the loss of the freedom of movement leaves me in an unknown state. I _have_ to wait until March before I know whether I need to apply for a work visa and that is despite spending a year in a job here.

I’m counting down the time until I can apply for a Swedish passport and not have to think of myself as British any more.

chestrockwell

As I have said many times before, my key reason for voting remain was because it was as clear as the nose on your face that this lot would make a monumental f up of leaving.

olddog

If we are doing Brexit songs – I vote second verse and chorus of Piranha’s version of Tom Hark…

My friends say that we’re heading for a grotty time
    It’s just a bit of slapstick and a pantomime
    We’re heading for disaster but I just don’t care
    Shut your eyes and count to ten, you won’t be there

[Chorus]
    The whole thing’s daft
    I don’t know why
    You have to laugh
    Or else you cry
    You have to live
    Or else you die
    You have to laugh
    Or else you cry

Viewing 40 posts - 55,521 through 55,560 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.