Home Forums Chat Forum EU Passport control question

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • EU Passport control question
  • cb200
    Free Member

I’m considering getting an Irish passport for me and the kids. The main advantages would be easier work in the EU if needed for the kids, and being able to use the EU queue at passport control.
    Thing is, Mrs CB is English through and through, so is not eligible for an EU Passport.
    What happens at passport control? Can she join us in the EU queue?

johnners
    Free Member

Can she join us in the EU queue?

lol. No.

mashr

Sure can. Blue passports, blue lane. Just makes sense

falkirk-mark

No but you will be finishing your second pint by the time she gets through. Could be the other way when you get back home though.

jimmy748

I’ve been through passport control 6 times in the last 3 weeks and still gone through the EU lane.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The correct answer is: How old are the kids?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Went to France last week…sailed through the passport queue as quick as when we were in the EU. Cursory glance at the passport, a stamp and waved on. As quick as I’ve ever been through an EU queue. Was a small airport though so if you were going through a larger and more international airport then there might be a much longer non EU queue with people from countries that turn up with a dossier of documentation under their arms and take 15 minutes each to process.

Having said that can’t remember the last time I travelled through or to a major European airport. No need.

cb200
    Free Member

The kids are 10 and 13.

My last Airport experience in August was in Cyprus. Several planes had landed from the UK and the queue was awful, whereas there was no non-EU queue at all.

A stoned American man told me that if the majority of your party are non-EU then the whole party can go through

intheborders
    Free Member

I’m considering getting an Irish passport for me and the kids.

Are you Andrew Bridgen or have you an actual right for an Irish passport?

Just the first minute…

onehundredthidiot

Parents or you born in the Republic of Ireland before 2005 then you are regarded as Irish citizens and can apply.

nickc

As quick as I’ve ever been through an EU queue

Flew to Bilbao a few weeks ago via Frankfurt (no direct flights) and it was mixed, at Bilbao, and I presume most small regional airports it didn’t seem to be a massive issue. The same can’t be said for places like Frankfurt where both passport gates commiserated with me that I had to wait in a 1/2 hour queue that just didn’t exist for EU travellers.

Having said that can’t remember the last time I travelled through or to a major European airport.

There used to be any number of direct flights to Bilbao from Manchester (for example), now there are none. I think we may have to get used to stop overs at major hubs for at least the near future, maybe even for good.

jimmy748

Stansted, Aarhus, Heathrow, Helsinki, Gatwick, Gdańsk, Tallin, no one gives a shit, worse case they will say you should have been in the other line and to do so next time.

Greybeard
    Free Member

A stoned American man told me that if the majority of your party are non-EU then the whole party can go through

I’ve never seen a non-EU queue, only EU or Any. Before Brexit, I always chose the shortest.

olddog

Parents or you born in the Republic of Ireland before 2005 then you are regarded as Irish citizens and can apply

It’s the Island of Ireland not just the Republic

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The kids are 10 and 13.

Probably negligible benefit then. Can’t find it on Google, but seem to recall that there’s an age around 12 or 14 below which the kids need to be accompanied.

But looks like yours will be at/over that age by the time you get the new passport.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I always chose the shortest.

I’ve never thought about it before, but now you mention it, yeah, as a punter it makes no difference.

I’ve always obsessed about going through the right bit, not quite sure what I feared would happen if I got it wrong – people must get it ‘wrong’ all the time…

Thanks. Useful tip.

bob_summers

There used to be any number of direct flights to Bilbao from Manchester (for example), now there are none.

I panicked when I read that (live in Pais Vasco, visit family in NWEngand) but afaics there are direct flights twice a week? 6 days a week from April. All the ones I clicked were direct at least.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘EU Passport control question’ is closed to new replies.