Home Forums Bike Forum Entomologists to the forum…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Entomologists to the forum…
  • scotroutes

What flying insect would be about the size and colour of a greenfly, in the Scottish Highlands and would bite a human enough for me to feel it and leave a prominent and itchy weal a couple of days later?

dirkpitt74

Hulk midge?

ossify

A greenfly, that happened to land on the same spot where something else bit you a second before but you didn’t notice at the time?

Loving the hulk midge

z1ppy

Not sure about the colour but that sounds like a sandfly. Experience them in NZ, they ain’t much fun, as they like to hang around your ankles, even after you walk away from the their enviroment.

reeksy

Sandflies are normally tiny IME

ossify

Hulk midge?

Was it one of these?

zerocool

Horse fly?

scotroutes

I’m loving some of the answers but none are correct. It was larger than a midge, green and had short legs.

kormoran
    Free Member

I’m loving some of the answers but none are correct. It was larger than a midge, green and had short legs

There are a lot of nasty little insects out there, and to be honest I think that climate change has increased the range of quite a few that would never have been seen in Scotland. That said, the only thing that comes to mind from your description is Michael Gove

joshvegas
    Free Member

Birch fly is the other bastard of bastards

Beagleboy

Ked / Deer fly? They’re kind of greenish and it’s the right time of year for them.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Aphids do bite people, rarely.

(Pedants will note it’s not really a “bite” but more of a stab.)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.