Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,034 total)
  • Elon Musk
  • Daffy

This’ll be to stop all those who didn’t say “yes” to be locked out and even those who did to be vetted and allocated to critical roles about to be vacated by those who chose to leave.

dissonance

Those critical roles quite possibly including such ones as being in charge of buildings.
    I cant believe people dont seem to be lining up to work ultra hard to try and get Musk getting poorer.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It would be funny if it wasn’t tragic watching the ‘all you need is no rules and hard work – crypto is the future’ circlejerk run countries and country sized businesses into the ground.

crazy-legs

FuzzyWuzzy

Lol @ Space Karen

pk13

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63672307
    Locked out of the office

Ah already been done on social media that’s still open 😆

csb

As above seems to be a way of clearing the decks of the disloyal

pk13

How long before he gets removed from US government projects.
    Unstable rich boy

FuzzyWuzzy

Although he’s claiming all the best people are staying I’m calling BS unless he’s offering them sizeable golden handcuffs

matt303uk

Well it’s not so much them being disloyal, loyalty when working at the codeface of a big org like Twitter is for mugs unless there is a very good renumeration package tied to it, even then there are limits to pulling intense long hours. I imagine anyone with talent, self confidence or contacts at other companies will have taken the 3 month severance and gone, leaving him with people who’s work visas are dependent on their job and people in a poor mental place about the security of their income.

somafunk

Here’s an excellent long form write up I read last night regarding Elon Musk and his proto facist followers, he really is an odious **** creep

Elon Musk and his pals descent into pronatalism theory or eugenics by another name

molgrips
    Free Member

I think he is nostalgic for the good old days of his youth where he (and everyone else) was spending long hours simply coding for some threadbare dotcom business concept. World has moved on now though as have those dotcom companies.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nah, he’s floundering, he’s out of his depth and he’s been watching too much Game of Thrones (when not being extremely hardcore).

pk13

Do Amazon run the servers?
    Because at some point a new OS update on a phone or laptop will knock twitter out with a bug who is going to patch twitters app if thay have all left…
    Imagine being dumped from the play/apple app store for being an unstable app.
    Or getting sacked and nowhere to pass the security on to access the tools to patch the app as Elon sacked all the managers on day one.

I hope they nicked all the pens and a4 paper before he locked the office.

benpinnick

Although he’s claiming all the best people are staying I’m calling BS unless he’s offering them sizeable golden handcuffs

This policy will be the total opposite. The best ones will be the first to jack it in. You get left with the ones that can’t move elsewhere easily.

Loyalty will have nothing to do with it. They were loyal to the company they helped build. This isn’t that company, why should they stick it out unless they feel they cant move?

raleighimpact

Leaving aside the loud mouth at the top, is this what normally happens when a company takes over another? Large scale redundancies, enforced change of work culture, removal of the old board and senior managers, shutting of offices.

Just not in such a public way, a little slower and with a lot more involvement of HR.

franksinatra

It is fascinating though, watching him apparently driving his new $44billion toy into the ground. I always thought he was a flawed genius, like a bond villain type character. I am now coming to the the conclusion that he is really not thinking straight.

Twitter is almost a distraction though. If he has the ability and willingness to destroy it in a matter of weeks, what about the solar farms, batteries, cars, satellites, internet services that he also has complete control over? What is stopping him just shutting these down?

I manage a building that has a Tesla battery. We were contacted by them a while ago saying they had detected a fault and remotely fixed it, before we were even aware of the issue. Great stuff, however I have no doubt that they could also shut it down remotely. Why would they do that? I don’t know. But then why would he work hard to destroy a £44billion investment…

Daffy

raleighimpact
    Leaving aside the loud mouth at the top, is this what normally happens when a company takes over another?

No – It’s not. But this isn’t a takeover of one company by another. This is an outright purchase and delisting of a company by an individual/consortium. They only thing they have to do is obey local laws. They can do whatever they like to the company its staff and its business model.

chakaping
    Free Member

Twitter is almost a distraction though. If he has the ability and willingness to destroy it in a matter of weeks, what about the solar farms, batteries, cars, satellites, internet services that he also has complete control over?

Good point. Presumably there’s more robust oversight, or just more sensible people, involved on his other business interests.

I think it just comes down to him being naive and hubristic, thinking because he uses Twitter loads that he understands the social media business. Same as how many of us think we could run bike companies better?

Cougar

is this what normally happens when a company takes over another? Large scale redundancies, enforced change of work culture, removal of the old board and senior managers, shutting of offices.

Arguably perhaps but… not all of them!

Daffy

This is a very American way of doing business. Come in, demolish and rebuild with absolutely no care for those currently working there nor the culture that’s establish. “It’s all wrong and I’ve got a better idea” mentality even with little to no knowledge of the complexity of the (actual) situation.

matt303uk

I’m amazed Twitter is still running, the way he’s gone about it means there’s been no technical handovers, loads of embedded knowledge is going to have disappeared, software groups decimated. I have to maintain a few small projects written by others and it’s slow going, I’m imagining that across the whole company for the remaining developers.

monkeyboyjc

An ex exec of twitter was  reporting that upto 88% of staff have now either been sacked or are leaving – how can a company can continue on 10% of it’s workforce without a serious decline in its product or service I don’t know….

hatter

clearing the decks of the disloyal

I love the way these Hypercapitalists are all about money talking in a total free market until the millisecond their worker bees start acting with that very same rational self-interest they’ve espoused.

I mean, carping on about things like weak sentimentalist nonsense like ‘loyalty,’ call yourself a capitalist ubermensch?!

dissonance

I’m amazed Twitter is still running

So long as the devs arent trying to push new code thinking about where I work I suspect the systems could keep chugging along for a while. Then at some point one or more critical systems should be a temporary hiccup and not have anyone available with the skills to restore it.
    Of course Musk is wanting them to push code though so that brings forward the fail point.

csb

how can a company can continue on 10% of it’s workforce without a serious decline in its product or service I don’t know….

Maybe he was right and they were all a waste of space and disposable?

willard

A bit of background about his education: https://twitter.com/capitolhunters/status/1593307541932474368

Not sure that this has been done in such detail yet

Cougar

Ah, I’ve seen this management style before.

I used to work in a bowling alley. On a given shift, there would be (say) five staff. The next time that shift rolled around there would be four. If they worked like Eastern European fruit pickers and just about kept things afloat by their fingernails, the next time there would be three. Then it all went to shit and the staff got a kicking for it.

somafunk

Read that earlier on Twitter, he’s not the messiah, he’s just an over privileged rich kid with sociopathic tendencies.

Poopscoop

I still day this is Musk’s Putin/ Ukraine moment.

Not a 5D chess player after all, just a ruthless bod that’s been mega lucky so far.

inkster
    Free Member

“I think he is nostalgic for the good old days of his youth”

Where he grew up in (and benefited from) an apartheid system. He left SA in 1989, the year SA became a democracy.

Poopscoop

^^ He also left with “just a rucksack” apparently…

Totally self made man. 😐

monkeyboyjc

Many haven’t left yet, 3months pay and all that. It’ll be Jan/Feb/march next year for the 💩➡️fan

mert
    Free Member

A bit of background about his education: https://twitter.com/capitolhunters/status/1593307541932474368

I read that whole thread yesterday, never mind bonfire of the vanities, we’re looking at binfire of the vainglorious

(And don’t you mean *lack* of education?)

And i know a good number of people who have, or still do work with or for him (both at space X and Tesla) and none of them have a single good word to say about anything he does. Even those who still work for him… They just like the money.

Covering your back is fairly high priority for anyone in those sorts of industries, Musks companies must be the only ones where it’s a close second to getting paid.

dazh

I’m amazed Twitter is still running

Why would it suddenly stop working? I think the infrastructure and code for a massively scalable app like twitter is going to fairly stable. Unless of course a pissed off engineer with access to production systems does something to make it stop working. Where it will break down is future updates to support operation system updates etc or any unforeseen issues which require human intervention. The vast majority of the engineering team will be working on future stuff rather than maintenance.

martinhutch

Why would it suddenly stop working? I think the infrastructure and code for a massively scalable app like twitter is going to fairly stable.

As mentioned above, OS updates for devices using the app might require tweaks to the app to maintain that stability.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Some of us are old enough to remember me telling you all a couple of weeks ago that Twitter was finished.

sc-xc

(when not being extremely hardcore).

He’s learning from the best substitute teacher ever!

Dewey

In the end of time
    There was a man who knew the road
    And the writing was written on the stone
    In the ancient times
    An artist led the way
    But no one seemed to understand
    In his heart he knew
    The artist must be true
    But the legend of the rent was way past due
    Well, you think you’ll be just fine
    Without me, but you’re mine
    You think you can kick me out the band
    But there are just one problem there, the band is mine
    How can you kick me out of what is mine
    You’re not hardcore (No, you’re not hardcore)
    Unless you live hardcore (Unless you live hardcore)
    But the legend of the rent was way hardcore

binners

This is a very American way of doing business. Come in, demolish and rebuild with absolutely no care for those currently working there nor the culture that’s establish. “It’s all wrong and I’ve got a better idea” mentality even with little to no knowledge of the complexity of the (actual) situation

I’ve actually been in a company that was bought out by the ‘Mericans and they did exactly this. The same happened. Everyone left virtually overnight. One morning, due to some outstanding piece of new management ****-wittery, an entire department quit, en Masse, and walked out, never to return. And we’re talking highly skilled professionals with decades of experience here.

If you buy a company and all the staff leave, what are you actually left with?

martinhutch

Sink to sank in less than two weeks.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,034 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.